It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch witches get tax break

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Bloomberg

Oct. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Margarita Rongen, who teaches spells and potions to witches in the Dutch village of Appelscha, says a court ruling that gave her trainees a tax break brought in hundreds of potential new recruits.

Rongen, 56, who offers the Netherlands' only program that certifies witches, is getting applications from as far off as Australia and Dubai, she said. The court, in the Dutch town of Leeuwaarden, ruled on Sept. 26 that the 1,830-euro ($2,208) cost of her course is tax deductible.

``Many people who have reached a dead end come to me because they want to make a change in their life,'' said Rongen, who's been a witch for 37 years. ``Now students know they will get their money back.'' She spoke in an interview on Sept. 30 in her school's shop, which sells products such as blessed magic candles for 6.95 euros apiece.

This one speaks for itself, all I can say is thank god (not "Mother Earth") this isn't in the U.S. If you wanna be a hippie flower child from the darkside, fine, but you don't deserve a tax break to learn to cast spells! This "teacher" must have cast a spell on some lawmakers, the kind where their pockets fill up with money.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
witches have to hold up banks in order to get money.

From CNN.com:
Witch suspect in Halloween holdups takes flight

Just to clarify, this person was dressed as a witch, doesn't mean she truly was one. Just as a few people are dressed as priests but clearly reveal it's a costume when brought up on crimal charges.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Which witch?

Well, they need tax breaks! Those brooms are more envirnmentally friendly than my car, and they are harder to maintain, considering they use old technology and computer diagnostics aren't available.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by yadboy
but you don't deserve a tax break to learn to cast spells!

Likewise.. people don't deserve a tax break to say prayers. What is the difference?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

This one speaks for itself, all I can say is thank god (not "Mother Earth") this isn't in the U.S.

God forbid different religions be treated equally right?

And this does happen in the US, the wicca religion is a (well, the only) recognized witchcraft religion in the US. That means its covens get the same tax breaks the christian, jews, muslims, hindus, etc get. I don't know what the Dutch rules are regarding tax exemption and the like, but if witches can deduct religious training, its almost certainly because christians have been doing the same thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Likewise.. people don't deserve a tax break to say prayers. What is the difference?

To be perfectly fair to the "witches" the article does go on to say that folks taking the class would only get a tax break if the course was taken to learn skills to make money. It didn't really go into a lot of detail on that account and I can't really see how a course on whitchcraft could help you make money, other than bilking new people with a goofy tax-deductable witch class!

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

To be perfectly fair to the "witches" the article does go on to say that folks taking the class would only get a tax break if the course was taken to learn skills to make money.

Did the pope ever get trained to be a priest? Don't priests hand out collection plates to their congregation in exchange for his 'guidence'? I still do not see any difference and find it kind of contradictory that christians.. belonging to the richest church in the world would accuse 'witches' of trying to cash in.

It didn't really go into a lot of detail on that account and I can't really see how a course on whitchcraft could help you make money, other than bilking new people with a goofy tax-deductable witch class!

I'm wondering.. do you think churches profit when they sell bibles and christian videos?
If this person is an expert on witchcraft and people want to learn how to practice it.. how is that different from a priest teaching people who want to learn how to practice christianity?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Tax breaks are given to organizations they feel give something back to the community yes? Or something the government wants to promote to benefit a society, correct? I'm not quite sure how it works but that's my perception. If that's the criteria, whether I agree with the practice or not (and there are tax-deductable organizations that I don't agree with in practice) then the treatment should be fair. Just my assessment.

The problem I have are abuses of the tax system. This never goes on long without some massive backlash that end up inhibiting our inherent rights or acquired benefits. For example, in a company that pays for medical benefits, if the employees abuse those benefits, they get "revised" which in the business world is a fancy word for getting cut, thereby shorting some people who actually need the benefit from getting them. I see the government and tax system functioning in a similar fashion.

Though I don't have a love for this particular topic (it's boring, and makes no difference in eternity), I welcome any education from a layman, high level strategic viewpoint.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I am a Christan myself and dont have a problem with this. I have watched some of my fellow so-called Christans sell prayer blankets, Tell people to figure up their bills for the month and send the money instead to them and God would take care of their bills, Sell highly overpriced books and tapes teaching you how to cast out demons, etc; all with a zeal that would put a used car sellsman to shame.

I see no difference here.

There are people in EVERY religion that are out and out crooks, but do we want the Government deciding which one we must choose?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Bloomberg

Oct. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Margarita Rongen, who teaches spells and potions to witches in the Dutch village of Appelscha, says....

The court, in the Dutch town of Leeuwaarden, ruled on Sept. 26 that the 1,830-euro ($2,208) cost of her course is tax deductible.

i see you read Bloomberg (link in your post)

i read this same Halloween fluff/filler, yesterday, at;
abcnews.go.com...

where you can even see a photo of the teacher-instructor, ms. Rongen

~~~~~

all in all, it makes sense to me that craft & spell insider info.
is now considered a tax deductable expense....

the 'certified' witches who complete the spell+curse+incantation course
will go about their local communities and generate taxable income for the services they provide.... just another source of tax revenue...quite logical

from the indignation and disbelief of our thread starter, that wicca or majick are legitimate philosophies and deserve equal status with the larger, organized belief cults....its not really a value judgement of majick arts- -> its more of a pragmatic, & even handed application of the rules of law.

bravo for ms. Rongen...i hope she makes back any $$$ she had to spend to get equal justice in the courts.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

To be perfectly fair to the "witches" the article does go on to say that folks taking the class would only get a tax break if the course was taken to learn skills to make money.

Did the pope ever get trained to be a priest? Don't priests hand out collection plates to their congregation in exchange for his 'guidence'? I still do not see any difference and find it kind of contradictory that christians.. belonging to the richest church in the world would accuse 'witches' of trying to cash in.

It didn't really go into a lot of detail on that account and I can't really see how a course on whitchcraft could help you make money, other than bilking new people with a goofy tax-deductable witch class!

I'm wondering.. do you think churches profit when they sell bibles and christian videos?
If this person is an expert on witchcraft and people want to learn how to practice it.. how is that different from a priest teaching people who want to learn how to practice christianity?

The difference is a tax deduction. I'm not aware of a class you take to learn how to be a christian that's tax deductable. A churches tax exept status and a government reimbusing you for learning to cast spells is a little different. If a person wants to claim to be a witch and make newt-eye kool-aid, that's their business. But when it starts costing a government money, that's a whole different ball of wax.

Besides, if you read the article closely, theres no mention of the teacher teaching a religion, your comparing apples to hemlock. This "witchcraft" is being approached as a business.

[edit on 11/1/2005 by yadboy]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Keep in mind, churches get the tax break, not the individual, which is the case with the witch class, big difference.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

This one speaks for itself, all I can say is thank god (not "Mother Earth") this isn't in the U.S.

God forbid different religions be treated equally right?

And this does happen in the US, the wicca religion is a (well, the only) recognized witchcraft religion in the US. That means its covens get the same tax breaks the christian, jews, muslims, hindus, etc get. I don't know what the Dutch rules are regarding tax exemption and the like, but if witches can deduct religious training, its almost certainly because christians have been doing the same thing.

This is not about religion, read the article again, no mention of religion. This is a business class. This isn't about training anyone to practice a religion. I love how people fly off on the obvious tangent and attack religion. I'm not a bible thumper, I haven't been in a church in about 2-3 years, but give me a break. At least respond to the issue at hand.

If a person wants to worship a retarded monkey & wear a hat filled with candy corn and call it a religion, I could care less. And yes, they have as much right to a tax break as any other organized religion (if one gets it the all get it or no one should), but that's not what this thread is about. (At least it wasn't suppose to be)

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This report is bogus, there is not a place in the Netherlands called bloomberg!???

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Bloomberg is the news service. Appelscha is the place where the woman lives.

Clear now??

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
witches have to hold up banks in order to get money.

From CNN.com:
Witch suspect in Halloween holdups takes flight

Just to clarify, this person was dressed as a witch, doesn't mean she truly was one. Just as a few people are dressed as priests but clearly reveal it's a costume when brought up on crimal charges.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

You are right, that was not a real witch, and a Christian would not know one if he saw one, IMHO. We do not dress like that, for one thing. I clicked on the second link, but burned my fingers on the keyboard! Thank you no, I am free of the chains of religious bondage. Never will I go back. Goddess bless you, Magickman

[edit on 1-11-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magickman
You are right, that was not a real witch, and a Christian would not know one if he saw one, IMHO.

I agree. No one can tell a witch from anyone else unless they're openly expressive about it (with symbols or ideology). Same goes for Christians.

We do not dress like that, for one thing. I clicked on the second link, but burned my fingers on the keyboard!

Now you're being silly

Thank you no, I am free of the chains of religious bondage. Never will I go back. Goddess bless you, Magickman

Chains? I apologize for whatever people made you feel this way. llpoolej said something fabulous today, something to the effect of: Please don't judge God by the people who do a lousy job following Him. I find God to be very liberating. And thanks to Him, I'm still alive when death seemed certain.

God bless

[edit on 14-11-2005 by saint4God]

new topics

top topics

join