It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugo Chavez warns Venezuelan parents of American Halloween terrorism...o brother.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

President Hugo Chavez cautioned Venezuelan parents to protect their children from Halloween with a spooky warning that the US tradition is rooted in "terrorism."

"What they have implanted here, which is really a 'gringo' custom, is terrorism," Chavez said, quoted in the local press. "They disguise children as witches and wizards, that is contrary to our culture."

Chavez often lashes out at the US government, which he has described as "terrorist" and accused of plotting his assassination. But this time his warnings were directed at the American celebration that combines costumes and candy.

He issued "an appeal for reflection by parents" not to encourage their children to dress up for the holiday.

His comments came after authorities in Caracas recently seized pumpkins, cardboard skeleton costumes and other traditional Halloween items inscribed with anti-Chavez messages.

i dont know if its paranoid or just plain stupid. it be like the opposition just to put graffiti on a wall or board or even just on pumpkins or watever. if u are mad at Chavez u can put anti Chavez sign on a fence or paint on the sidewalk or street to show how u hate Chavez. but making Halloween as terrorism is just way too much.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I suppose one might wonder about the scale of the trouble there is over any of this and at his priorities (if this story, as presented, is true).

I can't find any reference to it beyond 'the usual' suspects.

By the way you'll also find plenty of so-called 'Christian' fundamentalists (even American ones) who regularly rant and rave against Halloween (and Harry Potter etc etc) as a subtle but definite and real satanic influence polluting young impressionable kids and drawing them to 'the dark side/forces etc
(were you to believe in 'him' would you consider 'the devil' better or worse than 'terrorism', hmmmm?).

But I don't see you putting up threads about any of that deltaboy.

.....and what's this business about "authorities in Caracas recently seized pumpkins, cardboard skeleton costumes and other traditional Halloween items inscribed with anti-Chavez messages."?
Has Halloween been hijacked by the political opposition trying to use the kids there in Venezuela?

Maybe they are just sick to the back teeth with the repeated US-backed attempts to stir up political trouble out there?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

I can't find any reference to it beyond 'the usual' suspects.

so far Halloween to Chavez is a suspect.

By the way you'll also find plenty of so-called 'Christian' fundamentalists (even American ones) who regularly rant and rave against Halloween (and Harry Potter etc etc) as a subtle but definite and real satanic influence polluting young impressionable kids and drawing them to 'the dark side/forces etc

i dont know if i should get myself in religious things like Chritians criticize Harry Potter stuff. instead its about Chavez linking Halloween to the U.S. terrorism.

But I don't see you putting up threads about any of that deltaboy.

as i say im not interested with Christian fundamentalists with Harry Potter.

.....and what's this business about "authorities in Caracas recently seized pumpkins, cardboard skeleton costumes and other traditional Halloween items inscribed with anti-Chavez messages."?
Has Halloween been hijacked by the political opposition trying to use the kids there in Venezuela?

dats wat the source says. maybe just one snip of a anti Chavez of ani kind and he responds quickly to contain ani attempts of a new coup. even Halloween.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
i dont know if i should get myself in religious things like Chritians criticize Harry Potter stuff. instead its about Chavez linking Halloween to the U.S. terrorism.

- Is the 'devil' noit 'worse' than terrorism?

as i say im not interested with Christian fundamentalists with Harry Potter.

- Why not?
'Christian' TV evangelising spreading that kind of 'message' is a big and very influential business in the US and reaching many many Americans, surely that's just as - if not more - alarming, it's surely much more immeadiate, much closer to home and of far more concern to you?

If not why not?

maybe just one snip of a anti Chavez of ani kind and he responds quickly to contain ani attempts of a new coup. even Halloween.

- Or perhaps having been on the receiving end of a US backed coup which attempted to subvert and pervert Venezuelan democracy they are not going to tolerate any chance of a repeat?

Frankly I don't really blame them.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well, Halloween is not a gringo tradition. It is a Catholic bastardization of a Pagan(Celtic) celebration of the New Year...Samhain.

Equating Halloween to terrorism, any terrorsim just makes no sense. And as for the religious fanatics in the US...well they are no threat nor should they considered one. Don't mix apples with oranges.

He covered his but when he confiscated the Halloween decorations that had anti-Chavez messages on or in them. That is all!

So basically the children loose. NOT a great way to win hearts and minds....

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHANGELING
Equating Halloween to terrorism, any terrorsim just makes no sense.

- Well if you have been on the receiving end of (US backed) severe domestic political troubles and those 'elements' are now trying to hijack and use the Halloween festival maybe it's not such a huge and greatly unreasonable link afterall.

And as for the religious fanatics in the US...well they are no threat nor should they considered one. Don't mix apples with oranges.

- I really don't see the difference.
The so-called fundy 'Christian' nutter religious types in the US have powerful 'connections' and influence with this administration.
As far as I can see they are a real danger and a threat.

Can you imagine the trouble that zealot fundy idiot Pat Robertson has created for the US in large parts of S. America lately?

he confiscated the Halloween decorations that had anti-Chavez messages on or in them. That is all!

- Yeah so I gather, politicisation of Haloween, hmmm, a strange and ridiculously 'barrel scraping' concept if ever there was one!

So basically the children loose.

- I doubt it.
Haloween is a big deal in many S. American countries; I'd bet there is no shortage of replacement non-political stuff for everybody, including the kiddies.

NOT a great way to win hearts and minds....

- I think you'll find Chavez won a significant majority of the Venezuelan hearts and minds long ago.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
sminkey

Geeez Ill admit that US culture is pervasive, but Halloween
I take it you never went trick or treating?

This sound a bit like the old Flyod song:

If you don't eat your meat, how can you have any pudding, how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat

Chavez is good for the entertainment value that for sure. Truth be told my 3 year old in his ladybug costume actually had platique in his pumkin cleverly disquised as candy
Viva La Revolution

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
He's a ding bat, what can you expect?

Like Americans will board airplanes with their kids, go to Venezuela trick or treating and ka POW....

Hugo, get a life.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

but Halloween
I take it you never went trick or treating?

- It means different things in different places thanks to its cultural roots.

You guys trick or treat, we duck for apples etc etc.

It's also 'all souls' night in the traditional Roman Catholic calander and there are some interesting connections with the big festivals and cellebration of death in S. America.

Various places do these things differently.

But like I said I think it has probably got to the point where they are thoroughly sick of the subversive attempts of a minority to 'use' almost anything to stir up trouble down there, it is deadly serious and can get very violent and is no doubt a monumental pain in the ass to the civil authorities.

It is nothing to do with Americans nipping down there for Halloween.

Maybe they did over-react (on the other hand maybe it's a small and not so serious incident and not quite the big story some would have it as either) but considering the years of trouble they have had there (some of it amazingly protracted, like the so-called 'oil strike'......ie political subversion) I'm not totally surprised they have had enough of it.

[edit on 2-11-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

top topics

join