It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Santa Claus be a thing of the past?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Really, is this a Santa who only visits well to do nations only? Do the children in Africa receive presents by this man on Christmas day?

Will the people who cannot afford to buy gifts or who are because of religious reasons , oppossed to Santa, call for the end of this tradition?

I think that day will soon be here, maybe even this year.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I once tried to tell my children that Santa had been shot out of the air by Muslim extremists, but they weren't buying it. They were all in their late teens by then anyway and all I remember clearly is my youngest daughter saying in a menacing voice, "Give up the presents, santa!"

As long as Christmas is celebrated, regardless of the reason for the celebration, then Santa will be iconicly presant.

Besides, imagine all the tears that would be shed if Santa were to go away. The retailers and toy makers and tree sellers and all the others that make a profit off the celebration of some guy getting executed would be terrible. We'd never get them to stop crying. Oh the humanity of it all...

Anyway, Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
You are saying that the days where children believe in Santa Claus are coming to an end? Possibly this year? How and Why?

The kids who believe in Santa Claus do not know what Africa is, let alone there are kids over their that are not as fortunate as themself. Could you elaborate on how this would happen or be possible? Send out memo's to all kids that they have been 'Punked' and he really is fake.

For what purpose? Why deprive children of these glory days of fantasy. I only wish i could relive them days, so when I have kids of my own I am certainly taking every step possible to let them enjoy all them christmas eve's of milk and cookies and christmas mornings racing down the stairs to see what he brought me this year.

As a child I went to school with a couple Jewish children who informed me they did not celebrate christmas. This was strange to me and I could not understand at the time, but It did not change what I believed in. Perception is reality, my parents told me he was real so he was.

So again I ask, Why is Santa Claus no more.. And how is this going to happen. Who has made this decision.

[edit on 31-10-2005 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Santa will exist for thouse who wish to decive there child, just like the easter bunny, and the tooth fairy. Personally I never fully belived in Santa as a child (as much as I can recall anyway), possibly the reason for my current skeptisism
Fankly I don't belive that I missed alot, The joy and wonder and family bonding was all still there. In my family none of the presents were under the tree untill christmas morning anyway so there was still the suprise and antisipation.

I for one will not tell my child such an absurd tale, mosly because of the crushing of the sprit that comes with the learning of the lie. Maybe I'll celibrate festivus, a pole, airing of greivences, and feats of strength! Now that's my kind of holiday!!

On a serious note as long as there is a marketing there will be Santa.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

On a serious note as long as there is a marketing there will be Santa.

Well said.

Personally I never fully belived in Santa as a child (as much as I can recall anyway), possibly the reason for my current skeptisism
Fankly I don't belive that I missed alot, The joy and wonder and family bonding was all still there. In my family none of the presents were under the tree untill christmas morning anyway so there was still the suprise and antisipation

I see your point where you did not really miss out on anything anybody else did, but my family still talks about how much enjoyment it was on both ends of the deal. Believer or not, christmas is a great time of the year. Santa is not going anywhere. Let me be the first to say, Merry Christmas!

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I have a little boy who will be 4 on December 16, and there is NO WAY I am going to tell him about Santa Claus. The only thing my son is going to hear about Santa is that he's just someone who's made up to blackmail children into behaving. (Which is the truth.)

I find it very interesting that the ACLU wants nativity scenes to be banned--and they're not really Christian to begin with! If you read the Gospels of Mark and Luke carefully, the shepherds were there at Jesus' birth, and the wise men (MORE than three!) came within the next TWO years (why do you think Herod wanted children ages 2 and under killed?). Those scenes are inaccurate and I would say are too close to idolatry for my liking.

Jesus' birthday is NOT December 25. That's the birthday of Tammuz/the sun god/whoever--who is basically an Antichrist figure in a sense. So I have no problem with December vacation being called "winter break."

Jesus is NOT the reason for the season. Santa is the true god of Xmas.

Santa the Imposter

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thank you for the various points of views. Me? I beleive in Santa and do not want him to go away. I simply asked because in these pc times, i fully expect the myth to be destroyed.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I can see it dying down but never completely going.

Santa is part of Xmas, as long as Xmas is around (which I presume it always will be) so will Santa.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
bah humbug. wheres the harm in a child believing in santa , what a bunch of miseries

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan25
bah humbug. wheres the harm in a child believing in santa , what a bunch of miseries

The harm is losing your child's trust. It'll make it so they're less likely to listen to you--especially concerning important things.

Your child should be able to trust you. If they trust you, they'll listen to you. NEVER break your child's trust!

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Really, is this a Santa who only visits well to do nations only?

Do the children in Africa receive presents by this man on Christmas day?

i don't know if its christmas day that those poor & destitute & refugee homeless get those
Nike or other famous Logo merchandise we see on those News Reports, & Video feeds from Africa.

Maybe they are gifts from the many humanitarian & missionary organizations??

of course that is not the Santa that you grew up with,
but i'm sure those 'survivors' would find that Santa quite a fable or dream

+++

the 'jolly' & rotund Santa will change no doubt, (as you note)
obese is out, its not PC! and is a negative role model
sheeze, He's obese & smokes a pipe...how'd he survive so long??

the original Kris Kringle became Santa
perhaps our Santa Claus will become a Cyber Claus at some tomorrow

++

it also depends on establishing 'democracy' in the middle east, Iraq, etc
so that Global Corporations can direct the creation of wealth and then transfer that wealth into their coffiers...
only in that type of capitalist world system can the Santa Claus that we've grown up with, continue to exist.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Amethyst, no child has ever been ruined for life because of a beleif in a fictional Santa, or a tooth fairy or the Easter bunny. Of course, i respect your opinion and you should be able to do what you want with your own child. If the problem is religious, then i would understand. But the notion that your child would lose all trust in you, pffft...no.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Don't forget, the anagram for Santa is...

Satan

[edit on 1/11/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ohh yes. Santa Claus: The Great Imposter.
I don't know whether to laugh or just allow the depression to wash over me.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Perhaps I'm missing something... maybe you all can help me out here.

I really don't see a conspiracy here.... Where is it?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Really, is this a Santa who only visits well to do nations only? Do the children in Africa receive presents by this man on Christmas day?

Er, yeah, the christian ones do anyway.

Will the people who cannot afford to buy gifts or who are because of religious reasons , oppossed to Santa, call for the end of this tradition?

How could they possibly prevent other people from giving gifts to one another,and why would they want to do that?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If you research the 'historic' Santa Claus, I believe you will find that his popularity seems to ebb and flow.

With the huge backing he now has from the merchandising crowd, I'm betting there's just too much money involved for them to allow him to disappear or fade even a little bit.

I don't think allowing a child to believe in a fantasy destroys the trust they have for a parent......that trust is built by the million and one little things they learn they can count on you for every day.....food, warmth, comfort.....when they are still too small to understand the concept of Santa.

Too much honesty can be more cruell than any myth.....aren't you also going to tell them they can be anything they want to be, without mentioning the minor details that might get in the way, like their looks, race, or intelligence?? Reality can be a spirit crusher at any age......at lease small doses serve to inoculate us for what we must face later.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I sure hope Santa never goes away, if he does, who will bring me my Christmas Presents?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I always believed that Christmas was about giving not receiving. Putting a smile on anyones face, young or old is gift no matter were there are in this world or what they beleive in. Santa Claus is a since of spirit for those that believe in Christmas.

BESIDES NO ONE IS GONNA TAKE AWAY CLARK W. GRISWOLD FROM ME

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
When I was five years old Santa came to my home early one Christmas morning. I was fast asleep and it was still dark outside, he came into my bedroom gentley lifted me out of bed and lovingly carried me down the hall to the livingroom. We had a real tree, covered with beautiful colored lights, sparkling with tinsel and topped with the white glowing light of the prettiest White Angel I had ever seen. There was the distinct aroma of fresh brewed coffee and cinamon buns in the air. As I wipe the sleep from my eyes, I noticed my older brother standing in front of the tree like a deer caught in headlights, shaking and jumping up and down with excitement. Santa then released me from his arms and I hit the floor running straight for the biggest box under the tree. I always figured the bigger the box the better the present and I wasn't disappointed as I unwrapped my new slot car racing set. Santa then sprawled down on the floor with me, my two older brothers and two older sisters and laughed with delight as we tore into one present after another, then we would run to Mom and show her what we got. Santa spent the whole morning with me putting together that slot car racing set, that is my most favorite Christmas memory of all time, you see one month after that happy morning, my life changed forever
when my father died. I come from a very modest family background, my Dad
worked himself literally to death so my Mom and his five kids would have a roof over our heads, food to eat and never worry about anything. I am now 53 years old, I have three boys of my own. I made sure when they were growning up that they knew Santa the way I knew him. This Christmas I have a grandson and the tradition will be passed on to him. Christmas morning I will be the first one up, gently take my grandson out of bed and carry him lovingly down the hall towards that beautiful decorated tree, there will be the smell of fresh brewed coffee and cinamon
buns as Santa beams with excitement as he watches his family tear into their presents. Yep, I believe there is a Santa and he will always remain
in my heart!! Merry Christmas everyone!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join