It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian President Won't Seek Third Term (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
On the 31st of October, in an interview with Dutch media President Vladimir Putin said he "won't seek a third term" in 2008. Meaning he will not break the Russian constitution to prolong his ability to stay, however saying he will hold office till a new President is sworn in.

news.yahoo.com
President Vladimir Putin said Monday he won't seek a third term in 2008, but vowed not to allow "destabilization" in Russia following the vote, leaving the door open for drastic action in the event of a crisis.

In an interview with Dutch media on the eve of a visit to the Netherlands, Putin reiterated that he opposes changing the constitution to prolong his time in power — a possibility that has been widely discussed because his popularity and control over parliament.

But Putin said that the 2008 presidential election will be a "serious, difficult test for Russia" and stressed that full power and responsibility for the fate of the country will remain in his hands until the new president is sworn in.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting news, Putin is widely seen by many as a leading figure in World Politics - one that seems to have massive support both in Government and from the Russian people. Able to hold a "tough" alliance with the United States, China and Europe while re-building Russia after the U.S.S.R.

Although I do not trust the man or many of his actions I do fear what he will do if he doesn't see the President as "good enough". I also fear what path Russia might take as it begins to get even stronger. We live in strange times, soon with 3 or even 4 Nation's as strong powers.

Something which hasn't existed for a long time - pre-world war two.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This seems to deflate all talk about him destroying democracy over there and installing himself as a new world king. I find it surprising myself!

join