It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Split over Presidents remarks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It appears that the president of Iran may have alienated a portion of his nation last week when he mentioned Israel should be wiped from the map. I always knew Iran’s current regime didn’t support its people. I guess when you rule by fear and intimidation, and then control the media; you can show that your people support you. But after last week’s remarks, maybe Iran’s leaders aren’t as feared as they want to be?

Source

What was said to start the internal rift:

TEHRAN, Iran - Pro-democracy reformers denounced Iran's hard-line president Sunday for calling for Israel's annihilation, saying it harmed the country's international standing.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Wednesday that Israel is a "disgraceful blot" that should be "wiped off the map," prompting international condemnation and an Israeli demand Iran be expelled from the United Nations.

On Sunday, Ahmadinejad said his comments represented Iran's long-standing policy toward the Jewish state enunciated by the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, who led the 1979 revolution, the Islamic Republic News Agency, or IRNA, said.

The Iranian peoples reaction that defies the current Iranian leaderships iron grip:

But former reformist president Mohammad Khatami criticized Ahmadinejad, saying "those words have created hundreds of political and economic problems for us in the world," IRNA said.

It was the first time in a quarter century that there was a clear-cut rift over a major policy position drawn up by Khomeini.

"Ahmadinejad's remarks harmed Iran. It was irresponsible and illogical," said Rajabali Mazrouei, a prominent reformer and former deputy. "We can't be more extremist than Palestinians themselves."

Morad Veisi, a leading political analyst, said it was the first time that an Iranian head of state was openly calling for the destruction of Israel.

"Khomeini was a spiritual leader, not head of government. Ahmadinejad apparently is not even familiar with the world of politics," he said.

But of course one thing happened that I am quite certain the Iranian president is very happy about:

Extremists, however, were motivated by Ahmadinejad's remarks. About 300 men and women turned up Sunday at the offices of the Headquarters for Commemorating Martyrs of the Global Islamic Movement to volunteer for suicide bomb attacks against Israel.

A spokesman for the group said it had signed up more than 45,000 volunteers to undergo training for suicide attacks since it began recruiting in June 2004.

Let’s hope this internal rift turns into a revolt. Its time the people of Iran stood up against its terrorist government and changed things. The people of Iran should not be squelched like this. The current regime is going to bring a great deal of hardship on its people if it continues to operate in this fashion. It’s shameful.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Skippy if you didn't start these things off on the mistaken understanding that all the Presidents in the world (and their govs) follow the US model you might not be so surprised by this kind of thing.

You might also have been prepared to take a little notice when others were recently trying to explain to you that the Iranian Pres might say one thing and be at odds with the rest of the Iranian gov on those other threads you started over this topic.

[edit on 31-10-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I always knew Iran’s current regime didn’t support its people. I guess when you rule by fear and intimidation, and then control the media; you can show that your people support you.

Oh your talking about Iran, sorry i thought that statement was about America.

Funny how you have this brainwave with the Iranian government, yet your unable to fathom the fact that you are directly contributing to the American version of what your pretending to be so outraged at.

Your a classic Skippy, i look forward to your daily anti-arab posts to marval at the irony.
Keep it up.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
WTF is wrong with you two?

Skippy goes on here and posts something that is pro Iranian, and you guys give him a hard time?!?

Memphis, where was the US ever mentioned? What does the US have to do with Irans president calling for the complete destruction of Isreal?

You are so blinded by hatred for the US you can't even adress the topic at hand.

I for one am very happy that there is outrage expressed in Iran at their presidents comments, just as there would be if Bush, Clinto, or any other US president called for the complete destruction of another nation.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

You are so blinded by hatred for the US you can't even adress the topic at hand.

More like WTF is wrong with u. A lot of ATS members are geting tired of this poo. Nothing worst than blind american selling poo all over the place.

That concludes any personal attacks here.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: WOT Posting Conduct – Please Review Link.

[edit on 31/10/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Memphis, where was the US ever mentioned? What does the US have to do with Irans president calling for the complete destruction of Isreal?

Sorry if i make some typos here, i'm actually blinded by hatred right now for an entire nation because Skippy talked about Iran like most of the international community talk about America.

Are you so 'blinded by anti-supposably-anti-American hatred' that you can't figure out why Skippy didn't need to mention America for it to sound like he was talking about America in the snippet i quoted?

Again, my God,

Here's Skippy's EXACT statement with 1 word changed, see if you can spot the change!

"I always knew America’s current regime didn’t support its people. I guess when you rule by fear and intimidation, and then control the media; you can show that your people support you."

Now why it's 'WAR ON TERRORISM' news that a portion of the millions of Iranian citizens have a different opinion to 1 of their leaders is still a mystery? Are you guys ("you" representing those playing the 'War on Terror' is important for peace game) so intent on starting another war that you have to put on a horse and pony show which tries to create an air of astonishment that Iran has more than one voice? You 'hope' that the Iranians will defy their leaders and revolt, why? Is it so your team can pretend it has a reason to invade from a 'humanitarian' view point rather than one dictated by Isreal who have openly stated all throughout 2005 (to be contemporary) that they will be bombing Iran, like they did Iraq, if no one else does it for them?

This continued daily posting about Iran being the new boodymen that must be removed is exactly what happened pre-Iraq invasion. You work yourselves up into a frenzy believing your own hype and that's dangerous.

That self created hype is exactly the propaganda the war machine wants you to believe and spread like Lantanta on the hill. Your doing the propagandists work and your setting up validation for a new war by spreading this crap.

Here's a news flash, some American's have different opinions to their leaders!!

Here's hoping they revolt so they don't nuke anyone...er...again !

Give Iran a Trillion American dollers and tell them to invest in American war technology and i doubt they'll need to train any suicide bombers. You war supports are always going on about 'people die in wars' or else its 'fight like men' - so why not supply them and even the field so you can have your fair fight, otherwise, i expect you to ALWAYS be facing a more small axe approach to taking on the worlds biggest military force. Suicide bombers die for their beliefs just like the American sitting behind a missile control panel a few hundred miles away probably believes when he presses the button, those who are killed died for the furtherment of his beliefs. It's just a stupid stupid arguement to try and say one way is worse than the other and one belief is more valid than another when the results are the same.

Want Iran to stop threatening Isreal? Encourage them develope a Nuke for the M.A.D policy & give them nuclear power under international monitoring and tell Isreal to stop threatening Iran and any of the Muslim temples that they want to remove and you'll have a lot less trouble. There's no reason Iran can't comply with international standards but that's not an option given to them, it's either 'get under our thumb or be taken out' and when they say 'no' your shocked that they might have the nerve to prepare a defence, one which has no hope at competing with your military so another level of feigned shock is added by pretending to be outraged at their small axe methods!

America is going to be remembered as a confused schoolyard bully with the logic they use to pick their fights. With all the problems facing America internally, why you can't believe any of the international issues is one of lifes mysteries.

This isn't anti-American, it's pro-Earth.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
You have voted TheShroudOfMemphis for the Way Above Top Secret award.

excellent, I love it

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Can I laugh now?

1. Anything anyone does in Iran alienates a significant portion of the population. (sound familiar? Substitute "the USA" for "Iran")

2. The Palestinians were the first to say "No Way" to Iran. (They speak for themselves, thank you very much.)

3. Talking like that right before a UN visit? What was he thinking? Was he thinking? Deliberate? or Idiotic? (Insert conspiracy here)

4. Iranians (now American citizens) in and around town here, look at me in disbelief when I tell them what the president of Iran said. But then again, they don't really much care about Iran anymore, they got out. Much nicer living here in the USA.

5. In case you're wondering, Ex-Iranians are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Same goes for a lot of other recent (legal) immigrants into our country. They all really like it here. It makes me wonder why we can't see the same thing.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This news just in from Tehran....

Tehran - Radical extremists all over town, apparently motivated by Ahmadinejad's remarks to become volunteers for suicide bomb attacks against Israel, are reported to be spontaneously detonating...

[edit on 1-11-2005 by ZPE StarPilot]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis

what? so what your supposed understanding of US trouble changes the reality of whats going on in iran and no american can critisize iran? what is your point? just to rant about the US and israel? why not discuss....i dont know....iran, instead of subtle raves about how americans and jews are at fault for everything.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis

You have voted TheShroudOfMemphis for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Well said!

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   

- Nothing wrong here AMM, just pointing out that if skippy had actually read the responses to the threads he puts up he wouldn't be asking about this as if it is some new revelation.

BTW where is the pro-Iranian comment?

He is plain wrong to comment "I always knew Iran’s current regime didn’t support its people."
Not only have they recently had national elections (with a genuine choice and large turnout) but these comments by the Iranian President have been attacked by members of the Iranian government.

The Iranian government does the actual political work and is the "regime" there.
The office of President in Iran is a ceremonial one (and absolutely not the same or analogous to that of the US President......I realise some Americans have problems with this concept but plenty of people and countries do not have a US style presidency while having a President).

- Wrong.
My comment had not one word of "hatred for the US" in it.

I am rather bored with the almost constant 'gotta have a another war in the ME to sort out Iran' theme that some seem determined to pursue.......no matter what the debates turn up in each thread.

I for one am very happy that there is outrage expressed in Iran at their presidents comments, just as there would be if Bush, Clinto, or any other US president called for the complete destruction of another nation.

- Yeah but the thing is AMM I don't see anyone congratulating the guys comments.

.......and you cannot draw much comparison with US Presidents because you have to be aware that the label 'President' does not mean the same thing everywhere.

It simply isn't true to try and portray Iran as some kind of 'single line' monolithic religious dictatorship; as certain people here wish to. It might have been (just as it was once, not so long ago, an American supported brutal Police State using Monarchy to try and retain authority).
Things change.

The office of President in Iran is not the same kind of office as the American version, just as many of the world's 'Presidents' are ceremonial posts and not ones of great political power.

(hence we see members of the actual Iranian gov criticising their President for the international criticism he has brought the country.)

new topics

top topics

join