It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law and Order as a Load of Crap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
All right... as rants go, this one ought to be fairly low on the heated invective; this is just the best place I could find for a thread explaining my own perception of law and morality, and of the majority of humankind.

Consider this statement for a moment--

Nothing is true. Everything is permissible.

These are the words of Hassan i Sabbah, founder of the Hashishim (an ancient and widely feared organization of assassins; in fact, the word 'assassin' is derived from the name of this order) that operated in the Middle East several centuries ago.

At face value, this is a simple enough statement, but its implications are far-reaching and profound.

Okay, so... what if everything we hold sacred, every last nuance of the law and order imposed on the world by human thought and action, is a misconception? We view ourselves as the unquestioned masters of our world, the one font from which can spring philosophical Truth in all of its self-contradictory splendor.

But what if government is a hallucination in the minds of the governors? What if everything we think is True is only a subjective illusion based upon our own experiences with the world and one another, and the lines we have drawn that distinguish Good and Evil as a result?

And further yet, what if there is no Good? What if Evil does not exist?

Here's where my opinion comes in-- I don't think that they do. I think these concepts, and the vast implications (in politics, law, morality, and et cetera) that they hold are ultimately meaningless.

I believe that, in our efforts to make sense of the world and render it into societies and nations that purportedly have the best interest of their constituents in mind, we have turned against the natural order of nature-- and that order is Disorder. We have erected walls in our minds where as children there were nothing but wide open spaces; we assume that the precepts we hold sacred are infallible, and that we see the world as it truly is.

But considering these ideas on even a superficial level indicates the absurdity that underlies them. How can any one of us know the Truth when no two of us see it as being the same?

Good and Evil, Law and Chaos, if you ask me, are meaningless concepts, arbitrary words in an arbitrary language assigned to ideas that exist only in our minds. Government is a hallucination in the minds of the governors; there is no law behind closed doors.

Only once we realize this, I believe, will we as a species ever truly be free.

Disorder is the natural way of things; humans are unique creatures with unique minds and conceptions of reality, and any attempt to reconcile such disparacy on any level is doomed to failure, but not before it spends a very long time making everybody's life a lot less pleasant.

So there you have it; them's my two cents.

Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You got change of a dollar..you deserve a nice tip for that one

good post well ranted well said... I do agree on many points...

[edit on 5-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You might be interested to read Friedrich Nietsche's essay

"Beyond Good and Evil."

I think I understand the basis of your outlook; I was an anarchist for a number of years. I still feel that anarchist theory is a great critique of society. But I don't believe it offers a realistic alternative. While societal control limits freedom for the most creative, it is the only way to secure the needs of the weak. And all of us are weak in some way; humans are social animals, and none of us can live alone.

What's the phrase that Payne used? Life without government is the law of the jungle, where existence is nasty, cruel, butish--and short.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I really appreciate both your comments; thanks for taking the time!

And Dr. Strangecraft, I don't necessarily believe in the abolishment of all government; rather, I do not believe that it should hold order, and its enforcement, as its highest priority. There are other human virtues-- like creation, or love, or joy-- that I think deserve more attention.

top topics

join