It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some cool new missiles that we made for our navy.

page: 1

join
share:
NR

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think these are fitted to our SH-3D or could easily be deployed to one of our destroyers.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
would be nice to see some sepecifacations and information to go with the images, with your view on them

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Looks to me like the top one is like the old SS11 missile and the bottom one like a harpoon.If i remember rightly a lot of Iranian weapons are re-engineered weapons originally bought during the Shah years and upgraded.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Top one is a French SS-12 copy, bigger brother of the SS-11, the bulged warhead is a giveaway.

Well the Iranians do seem to be doing the Chinese thing of copying everyone elses stuff, nothing wrong with that, your own development projects normally follow on naturally. But copying the SS-12, why such an old outdated weapon ? it's largely useless in modern ship to ship warfare (7km max range with command guidance).

On a slightly different subject, I hope our Iranian member is safe posting pictures of the Shah as his avatar, risky stuff.

[edit on 30-10-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

NR

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
Top one is a French SS-12 copy, bigger brother of the SS-11, the bulged warhead is a giveaway.

Well the Iranians do seem to be doing the Chinese thing of copying everyone elses stuff, nothing wrong with that, your own development projects normally follow on naturally. But copying the SS-12, why such an old outdated weapon ? it's largely useless in modern ship to ship warfare (7km max range with command guidance).

On a slightly different subject, I hope our Iranian member is safe posting pictures of the Shah as his avatar, risky stuff.

I'm sure those missiles have been upgraded and probably are fitted to our fast patrol boats or to our frigates. This is also the year 2005 and not the 70's and i'm not a I.R. supporter so i have my right to put on shahs pic.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hmmm, why post this junk ? I don't understand. Who cares if the Iranians are copying low tech missiles big deal

Sounds like you like to pull your little red wagon over nothing , lol.

Nothing about Iran is high tech, next you'll be posting pictures of copied WW2 artillery shells and saying they are the latest Iranian technology LMAO.

[edit on 30-10-2005 by ADVISOR]

[edit on 10-30-2005 by Springer]

NR

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Yes w.e you say nothing we make is high tec and we should stop and who knows mabey i might start posting pictures of WW2 artilley shells that are black and white. Does that sound better?

[edit on 30-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Top one is indeed a French SS-12 wire-guided anti-tank missile. Probably currently sold by the French. Not a copy or upgrade. Typical use would be gunboat attack on commercial shipping in the gulf.

Bottom one is indeed a Harpoon. Doesn't look like a copy, it IS a Harpoon.

Note that an SH-3D is a Sikorsky SeaKing helicopter.

Trying to figure out which missile is in the background behind the Harpoon. I've seen it somewhere...

[edit on 30-10-2005 by ZPE StarPilot]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

He isnt even in Iran anymore I dont think,Perth seems to ring a bell. But either way, most everything else he posts probably gets parades in his honor in downtown Tehran.

NR

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   

He isnt even in Iran anymore I dont think,Perth seems to ring a bell. But either way, most everything else he posts probably gets parades in his honor in downtown Tehran.

I am going to Iran this weekend and i didnt find anything funny about your comment stop being so immature with useless posts.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
I am going to Iran this weekend and i didnt find anything funny about your comment stop being so immature with useless posts.

1. Makes trips to Iran
2. Seems proud of Iranian military advances
3. Lives in western nation

That usually qualifies you for a place on the FBI's "Of Most Interest" list.

PS - Did you chage your avatar or just copy a French designed one (kidding, just kidding)

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR

1. Makes trips to Iran
2. Seems proud of Iranian military advances
3. Lives in western nation

That usually qualifies you for a place on the FBI's "Of Most Interest" list.

PS - Did you chage your avatar or just copy a French designed one (kidding, just kidding)

Was that really necessary? Anyways, the missiles are looking good, I just don't like the fat stubby one, it looks too front heavy, anyways, if it does the job, then I'm all for it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Lame attempt at humor, with the emphasis on lame.

Apologies, no offence intended.

On the other hand, it's difficult to high five a nation for weapons development when this is what they want to use those weapons for:

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 1-11-2005 by Winchester Ranger T]

NR

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
i feel sorry for you, trying so hard to be funny which you sound very stupid indeed, try harder next time and my avatar was made by bodrul which he did a good job on it. Your also on my ignore list koskesh winchester

You have added Winchester Ranger T to your Ignore List. Refresh the current page to remove their posts from the thread.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by NR]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Sorry to hear you're so sensitive, but that's your issue. Enjoy the visit to your homeland.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
>>
Top one is indeed a French SS-12 wire-guided anti-tank missile. Probably currently sold by the French. Not a copy or upgrade. Typical use would be gunboat attack on commercial shipping in the gulf.
>>

The problem with use of either MACLOS or especially SACLOS weapons off a small PCI/FIAC (boghammer) class platform is that your flare tracking is going to go right to hell so you are basically lofting them, dumbfire, off the foredeck like something out of Roadwarrior.

Age on the motor and warhead would be a real concern too as I don't think they made those much past the late 60's.

Of greater interest, as an assassins device (what got them in trouble and ended PGW-I when Lloyds balked at the international convoy systems final ineptitude 'outside the gulf proper') is what appears to be the small mine behind it. Like the modern IED, it is simpler to lay these things and NOT risk the delivery vehicle (be it junk, trawler or commercial carrier) than it is to play hero with guns blazing.

Sub waterline hits also maximize patchwork time in a proper yard and potential for massive product loss.

Same thing as early German E/S-Boote crap tied up to the buoys along the tramways 'waiting for a train'. Many more kills, far less risk.

>>
Bottom one is indeed a Harpoon. Doesn't look like a copy, it IS a Harpoon.

Note that an SH-3D is a Sikorsky SeaKing helicopter.

Trying to figure out which missile is in the background behind the Harpoon. I've seen it somewhere...
>>

If it's intended for use on a Sea King (I thought we closed them down before that became an option but you can clearly see a boost motor segment so perhaps it's a slow-speed launch adaptation of something off a ship) I would hazard a guess that the adjacent store might be a torpedo, depth bomb or dipping sonar/MAD option.

Usually only the (period) Navy painted things that brilliant a blazing white as USAF munitions were even then (late 70's) going to 36622 or flatter whites as a precursor to the ghost greys of today.

A bigger question is inherent to the nature of the guts of the system. Even allowing for most everything pre-radar target processor back then to be analogue; it seems very likely that whatever passes for firmware in the AGM (RGM?) 84 is well past it's best use-by date so if it works, it's a miracle.

KPl.

top topics

join