It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gods law

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
I agree with you, you don't have to attend a church to be a christian and be saved.
You misunderstood my statement. I didn't say anything at all about being a 'christian'--nor did I qualify salvation as only belonging to 'christians.' Those are your convictions, not mine.

But you are totally ruling out the possisibility that there are established christian denominations with structure, as serving a purpose
I didn't say that, either--definitely there is a purpose served in such groupings and all that goes with...
But that doesn't necessarily mean it is what it might seem. God's ways are not our ways, and His gives our lessons in a myriad of ways, suitable to our respective needs for correction.

and you are totally wrong, and I will follow that statement up with an example from my personal life. Several months back a co-worker had a severe stroke and wasn't expected to live. Yes, this isn't her son visiting her, but it's a step up from what she was going through.
Don't get me wrong--truly that is a noble and generous thing to do--on your part and the others involved. That is exactly what we are here for. But those kinds of things are not limited to church-type groups. Believe it or not, 'regular' people actually look out for one another in all sorts of other social groups--love is love and we are all capable of doing it. Now, the big question is: how often is that done for 'non church members' by those belonging to a church?

So I KNOW from personal experience that having a "system" of organized christians across the country in place has benefits. She can now have visits and bright spots in the day as people come to vist with her.
But what about 'non-christians?' How will they ever be shown the living demonstration of godliness in their fellow humans--if they never receive the same 'outpourings?' What is our job? To love those who love us? Or glorify God and love those who don't even like us?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
But what about 'non-christians?' How will they ever be shown the living demonstration of godliness in their fellow humans--if they never receive the same 'outpourings?' What is our job? To love those who love us? Or glorify God and love those who don't even like us? [/quote

]

I didn't say anywhere that this person who had the stroke was a christian/saved. I am assuming she is not. They are ministering to someone right now and what don't know her stand in Christ.

What do you say to Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

[edit on 3-11-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It is appropriate for people who have accepted Christ as Savior to identify themself as a christian. Those who follow Christ are referred to a christians. along with other titles.

1 Peter 4:16[16] Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by dbrandt]

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

It is appropriate for people who have accepted Christ as Savior to identify themself as a christian. Those who follow Christ are referred to a christians. along with other titles.

1 Peter 4:16[16] Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

[edit on 6-11-2005 by dbrandt]

From Easton's Bible Dictionary:
Christian: the name given by the Greeks or Romans, probably in reproach, to the followers of Jesus. It was first used at Antioch. The names by which the disciples were known among themselves were "brethren," "the faithful," "elect," "saints," "believers." But as distinguishing them from the multitude without, the name "Christian" came into use, and was universally accepted. This name occurs but three times in the New Testament ( Act 11:26; 26:28; 1Pe 4:16).

From Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words:
"Christian," a word formed after the Roman style, signifying an adherent of Jesus, was first applied to such by the Gentiles and is found in Act 11:26; 26:28; 1Pe 4:16. Though the word rendered "were called" in Act 11:26 (see under CALL) might be used of a name adopted by oneself or given by others, the "Christians" do not seem to have adopted it for themselves in the times of the Apostles. In 1Pe 4:16, the Apostle is speaking from the point of view of the persecutor; cp. "as a thief," "as a murderer." Nor is it likely that the appellation was given by Jews. As applied by Gentiles there was no doubt an implication of scorn, as in Agrippa's statement in Act 26:28. Tacitus, writing near the end of the first century, says, "The vulgar call them Christians. The author or origin of this denomination, Christus, had, in the reign of Tiberius, been executed by the procurator, Pontius Pilate" (Annals xv. 44). From the second century onward the term was accepted by believers as a title of honor.

This wasn't a word that the disciples applied to themselves--it is not a 'God-given' name (such as Abram to Abraham, or Jacob to Israel.)

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
This wasn't a word that the disciples applied to themselves--it is not a 'God-given' name (such as Abram to Abraham, or Jacob to Israel.)

Peter used it to describe someone who was a follower of Christ. 1 Peter 5:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf

The thing this verse says is exactly what you are doing, persecuting christians.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The thing this verse says is exactly what you are doing, persecuting christians.
You have got to be kidding me!

If my words cause anyone something perceived as 'persecution,' then it might be well to consider them a little further. I don't say them for my own sport or benefit, at all--nor am I insulting or rude, that I know. I'm pretty blunt, but why beat around the bush or make anyone have to guess or assume? (since everyone assumes--regardless)

If I had my choice, I wouldn't cause any disruption at all, in anyone's way of thinking. Not as though you'd understand, but I truly have much more compassion and empathy for other people than would allow me to seek to persecute anyone.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join