It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Rumsfeld Out Of Bird Flu Planning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Because of his stocks in the company Gilead, who created the Bird Flu drug Tamiflu, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has announced he will be recused from any decision pertaining to the Bird Flu that involves Gilead Sciences. Rumsfeld was on the board of the company from 1997 until he was sworn in as Defense Secretary and still posesses a large stock portfolio with the Gilead Corporation. Rumsfeld has stated that he will still participate in quarantine possibilities and the use of military personnel in the event of an outbreak.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
Specifically, Rumsfeld said he would not participate in any way in the development and acquisition by the government of vaccines and treatments for bird flu. But he said he will participate in issues involving possible quarantines and use of military personnel in any outbreak, as well as the delivery of humanitarian assistance by the military.

The influenza-fighting pill Tamiflu has been in high demand lately, due to the increased threat of a worldwide bird flu epidemic.

Tamiflu was invented in 1996 by scientists at Gilead, which quickly sold all commercial rights and manufacturing responsibility to the Swiss giant Roche Holding AG, in exchange for annual royalties.

Roche makes Tamiflu at its Basel, Switzerland, plant.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a definite conflict of interest and raises many questions about what is really going on. The only ones who are winning at the moment are the pharmaceutical companies such as Gilead and Roche.

[edit on 30-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
*sigh*
I really don't know what to say, or how to feel about all this anymore. Since

Middle Eastern Oil->House of Saud->Bush

and

War->Military Industrial Complex (Halliburton)->Cheney

and now

Pandemic->Major Pharmeceutical (Roche,Gilead)->Rumsfeld

Im sure there's more->of these connections->I haven't listed

it seems that everything somehow or another ties back to our "leaders" in a conflict of interest sort of way.

Could it be more obvious? No. Seems as plain as the nose on our faces.

On the other hand its "too" obvious, as if everything's being spun to make these guys look worse than they are (if thats possible, but trying to give the benefit of the doubt).

But on the first hand again, it's been stated that people "will believe a big lie more readily than a small one" so maybe they really are hiding in plain sight.

I'm pretty sure they're all Bilderburgers but I don't even wanna go there right now, just for the sake of staving off complete paranoia for a little longer.

I guess I'm right back where I started, don't know what to think or how to feel about "it all" anymore. Probably right where "they"want me. I guess "they're" succeding at that, at least.

I sure wish someone woud start that revolution, at least then I could pick a side.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Mayet, where is the conflict of interest? Rumsfeld did the right thing by recusing himself. I just don't see a conflict.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I sure wish someone woud start that revolution, at least then I could pick a side.

I am with ya man. I am starting to think (or hope) one is comeing this way soon. and I don't think this guy should have anything to do with that co. as long as he is in his position. they should make him pick eather sell it all. or leave his position.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
How terrible we cannot rely on honor and integrity any more. Rumsfeld should have stated his conflict of interest LONG ago - and well before his interests in Gilead were exposed in public.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The bigger question here is why is Rumsfeld doing something seemingly proper?

Ok, sure, lets see what this leads to. Tamiflu is already said not to do a darn thing for this pandemic.

The pandemic wont kill me. It will be listenning to all this pandemic stuff that will take a toll on my health and my blood pressure

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Specifically, Rumsfeld said he would not participate in any way in the development and acquisition by the government of vaccines and treatments for bird flu. But he said he will participate in issues involving possible quarantines and use of military personnel in any outbreak, as well as the delivery of humanitarian assistance by the military.

So he's essentially saying;

"I am not going to sell my major position in this company because I've known for a long time that BigPharma is poised to make big bucks with what's coming. Although I won't help scientists and researchers, nor will I arrange for the drug to get to people, I will be using the military in new and interesting ways, when --I mean if, bird flu mutates.

...I wonder how Rummy's stocks will be effected by Taiwan's decision to violate Roche's patent and make Tamiflu "illegally". I'm sure he'd prefer to see bodies in the streets of asia than to have his stock price drop.

www.patentbaristas.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Mayet, where is the conflict of interest? Rumsfeld did the right thing by recusing himself. I just don't see a conflict.

he only just recused himself now...this has been going on a lot longer. And to be honest he shouldn't be in such a high powered position with huge stocks and interests in corporate companies like so. Major Conflict of Interest for the defence secretary of the USA. Corporate world or politics. Politicians get paid well so they dont have to worry about side jobs and other interrests. This is the government we talking. The Government should be away from any sort of interests other than the country and not just conflicts of interest.

and Jsobecky.. you never seem to see anything wrong with the way things are happening with your Government. Why is this? Do you feel your government should be above all laws and a law unto themselves? do you feel your government should indeed become the be all power of the world? Do you feel your government should be allowed to break rules and make them up as they go along?

I like Americans but I don't like the way i see the administration walking all over the rest of the world and the American people seemingly blind to it.

# 1) Which is the only country in the world to have dropped bombs on over twenty different countries since 1945?
# 2) Which is the only country to have used nuclear weapons?
# 3) Which country was responsible for a car bomb which killed 80 civilians in Beirut in 1985, in a botched assassination attempt, thereby making it the most lethal terrorist bombing in modern Middle East history?
# 4) Which country's illegal bombing of Libya in 1986 was described by the UN Legal Committee as a "classic case" of terrorism?
# 5) Which country rejected the order of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to terminate its "unlawful use of force" against Nicaragua in 1986, and then vetoed a UN Security Council resolution calling on all states to observe international law?
# 6) Which country was accused by a UN-sponsored commission of providing "direct and indirect support" for "acts of genocide" against the Mayan Indians in Guatemala during the 1980s?
# 7) Which country unilaterally withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty in December 2001?
# 8) Which country renounced the efforts to negotiate a verification process for the Biological Weapons Convention and brought an international conference on the matter to a halt in July 2001?
# 9) Which country prevented the United Nations from curbing the gun trade at a small arms conference in July 2001?
# 10) Aside from Somalia, which is the only other country in the world to have refused to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child?
# 11) Which is the only Western country which allows the death penalty to be applied to children?
# 12) Which is the only G7 country to have refused to sign the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty, forbidding the use of landmines?
# 13) Which is the only G7 country to have voted against the creation of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in 1998?
# 14) Which was the only other country to join with Israel in opposing a 1987 General Assembly resolution condemning international terrorism?
# 15) Which country refuses to fully pay its debts to the United Nations yet reserves its right to veto United Nations resolutions?

Questions You Won't Find In Trivial Pursuit

I found this quiz above while I was looking for some trivia questions for my kids and I really was amazed. Shocked really, it has made me sit back and think hard about my preconceived ideas of my Government and yours.

I am sure some of the acts above can be excused but not all of them and certainly not the peoples attitude that American Administration is some shining star example of how it should be. Because Quite frankly it's not.

Someone in chat said to me yesterday about a bumper sticker they saw that said

I love my Country....its the government I don't trust.

You were given the constitution and given the right to bear arms against the government of the day. But in New Orleans recently we saw martial law declared and the guns confiscated. The constitution was overriden. Rumsfeld is still in charge of quarantine....take your medicine or I will shoot you? He has already said the guns will be taken.

[edit on 30-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The bigger question here is why is Rumsfeld doing something seemingly proper?

Yeah, there's a shocker, too.
Although announcing "I'm not gonna have anything to do with the bird flu business" does little to reassure me that he actually won't. After all he's got the rest of his buds making the decisions and they do seem to have this tendancy to maintain each others interests.

Ok, sure, lets see what this leads to. Tamiflu is already said not to do a darn thing for this pandemic.

You and I know that, but I'll bet we'll see it flying off the shelves if(when) it happens.

The pandemic wont kill me. It will be listenning to all this pandemic stuff that will take a toll on my health and my blood pressure

Totally agree!

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Given how Dumsfeld has mismanaged the Iraq war would we really want him in charge of a response to a pandemic?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

12) Which is the only G7 country to have refused to sign the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty, forbidding the use of landmines?

I wonder if the representative had shares in a company producing land mines

This is appalling.

new topics

top topics

join