It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummified Dwarf Found - Rumours Of Ancient Dwarf City

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Is it possible that we actualy evoled from these hobbits.

given the fact that we tend to grow slightly every generation

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It is possible we evolved from "hobbits" but the picture shown looks more like a human fetus more than anything else
just take a look at the elongated head if this is it full size then whoah

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamJ

This has nothing to do with evolution though. The recent changes in height have come about through changes in diet and lifesytle, and have nothing to do with our genes. In fact the so called "hobbits" may have ancestors that were of "normal" height, and they could have evolved to be smaller.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
what is the diet and lifestyle to make you taller?

id like to grow a bit.

thanx

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

No. They evolved from our parent species, homo erectus and as far as is determined, they're a MIDGET (not dwarf. There's a difference) version of homo erectus. Our ancestors generally stood about the same height I do...around 5'-5'4".

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by obiwan15
It is possible we evolved from "hobbits" but the picture shown looks more like a human fetus more than anything else
just take a look at the elongated head if this is it full size then whoah

The mummy is that of an acondoplastic dwarf, like Peter Dinklage of the tv series, "Threshold." www.imdb.com...

Had this person lived to adulthood, he or she would be about the same size and proportions as Dinklage is today:
www.imdb.com...

(note: I like Dinklage as an actor. The character he plays in Threshold is both intelligent and slightly sleazy; the kind of person who is so tired of being a freak and pitied that they take advantage of others' reactions to them.)

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

No.

why?

Olo

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

No. They evolved from our parent species, homo erectus and as far as is determined, they're a MIDGET (not dwarf. There's a difference) version of homo erectus.
-- Byrd

The "hobbits" are miniaturized Homo erectus? I realize that they are decendents of erectus, but I thought they were infact, a different species, Homo florensis?

This has nothing to do with evolution though. The recent changes in height have come about through changes in diet and lifesytle, and have nothing to do with our genes.
-- FatherLukeDuke

Are you sure of this? It seems hard to imagine that a population's morphology does not change as a result of genetic drift, and selection. I know that malnutrition can certainly affect an organisims size, but I think genetics certainly play a role in this aswell.

[edit on 4-11-2005 by Olo]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

No. They evolved from our parent species, homo erectus and as far as is determined, they're a MIDGET (not dwarf. There's a difference) version of homo erectus. Our ancestors generally stood about the same height I do...around 5'-5'4".

No? Why?

When you say our ancestors, what period are you talking about. Were they 5'2 all throughout history and only started growing in the last few hundread years?

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ByrdNo? Why?
When you say our ancestors, what period are you talking about. Were they 5'2 all throughout history and only started growing in the last few hundread years?

Actually, I was talking about homo sapiens... so for the past 30,000 years our average height has varied from around 5' tall to today's 6' or so.

Other ancestors have been somewhat smaller. "Lucy" was around 4 feet tall.

And yes, we started growing a lot taller in the past 150 years as good nutrition and better medicine improved life.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Olo

No. They evolved from our parent species, homo erectus and as far as is determined, they're a MIDGET (not dwarf. There's a difference) version of homo erectus.
-- Byrd

The "hobbits" are miniaturized Homo erectus? I realize that they are decendents of erectus, but I thought they were infact, a different species, Homo florensis?

Correctamundo... descended/evolved from homo erectus. I wasn't terribly clear in writing that, was I?

This has nothing to do with evolution though. The recent changes in height have come about through changes in diet and lifesytle, and have nothing to do with our genes.
-- FatherLukeDuke

Are you sure of this? It seems hard to imagine that a population's morphology does not change as a result of genetic drift, and selection. I know that malnutrition can certainly affect an organisims size, but I think genetics certainly play a role in this aswell.

Actually, both play a part in the scenario.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Does anyone google anymore?

Turns out the mummy was a premature baby.

From the same source as the article:
www.payvand.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Couldn't other people with this condition have heard of a city where everything was made to suit their size? Maybe a city would be possible if it was seen as some sort of dwarfly commune. Eventually word would have gotten out that there was a place they would be welcomed and not seen as oddities even in the ancient world. It might have started as a village, but grown as time went by and others with the condition immigrated there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join