It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does Russia finance weapons research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't pose this question specifically in relation to one weapon system but to Russian weapons in general.

In my ignorance, I had believed that the glory days of Russian weapon development were over when the old ComBloc came apart at the seams, and to be fair we do see all those awesome subs laid up and rusting at Murmansk. But meanwhile they are continuing to develop new and ever more advanced weapons in every field of operations - new torpedoes, tanks, aircraft, missiles etc etc etc.

So how does Russia finance this continued development, are all the weapons for export or is she still continually improving her military. I know that there is a massive revenue from arms sales, but development and research costs are astronomical, they could just consolidate on proven favourites and sell them cheap (MiG 29, T-72, AK-74 etc).

Thoughts ?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well,

One idea could be that they are doing the research for a "production line" model like say when they offer it for sale, but are actually using the funds from those sales to help fund the research of a better one for thier own country.
Just a thought...

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The same way as United States does.....with money.

Just because they claim that their military budget is X amount of dollars, doesn't make it so - same with China.

They have a massive budget......they have to, I imagine the Yamantau base would have cost them at least a hundreds of billion of dollars alone. I mean, that base is abosultely massive, titanic. And who knows what's inside it?

Then you have all the new radars, missile systems, ships, fighters - su-47 - that has to have cost a fair bit to make a plane with inverted wings which actually works without breaking up.
The t-95, anti-terrorist weapons, plasma steath ??, and the two aircraft carriers they are about to build.

If one thinks this is all possible with a mere $20BN budget, then that person is out of their mind.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Oil and Natural Gas...

Russia is making more and more money as the prices of oil, natural gas and other resources are climbing and climbing but production cost remain at the low russian level..

If you want to trace Russian Black Financing do not look at goverment budget, but more about where the income generated by Gasprom and oil comppanies is going to... Swiss accounts of owners? or to some goverment blackops? or most likely both.

But the money were talking here is huge Gasprom makes alone 8% of the Russian GDP...

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Selling everthing to anyone, including the know how for nuclear related
products/weapons.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Yep Yep for every one on the books consulting job they do for a countries tech base expect two off the record. And Just like us they sell the last block mod to finance developing the next.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Good responses, thanks.

I didn't know about those new aircraft carriers, that's a massive cost right there, I confess I'm still surprised at their continued rate of innovation though.

It wouldn't concern me unduly if they sell their latest T-95 to Syria lets say, but if they are selling their nuclear expertise, we're all in big trouble, scary stuff.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
They might have more money then they like to let on. They claim to be broke and dont even have enough money to safeguard their own nuclear weapons. While they are accepting money from the US for that same reason they are building a massive (estimated 400 sq miles) multi-billion dollar structure under Yamantau mountian in the southern Urals.

But then they can't afford to mass produce their new army rifle the AN-94 and only give it too elite troops

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
By selling almost anything to almost anyone. Great example, selling heavy-water nuclear reactors to Iran.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
I didn't know about those new aircraft carriers, that's a massive cost right there, I confess I'm still surprised at their continued rate of innovation though.

Me too. I cannot understand how they are planning to get away with building 2 aircraft carriers, with their supposed "$20BN" budget. Maybe they plan to make it high enough, to make it believable.

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger TIt wouldn't concern me unduly if they sell their latest T-95 to Syria lets say, but if they are selling their nuclear expertise, we're all in big trouble, scary stuff.

I hope they won't, and I am guessing they won't.

The Russians love nothing more than selling small arms, old tanks, old subs and old fighters to India, China and the middle east, but I highly doubt they will sell their most sophisticated tech, because that would defeat the purpose of developing and having it.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX For that same reason they are building a massive (estimated 400 sq miles) multi-billion dollar structure under Yamantau mountian in the southern Urals.

Whoah there, 400 square miles? Thats one hell of a complex!

top topics

join