It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cupola Protective Ensemble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Overview:
The Cupola Protective Ensemble (CPE) is designed to protect U.S. forces in Iraq from the blast overpressure and fragmentation effects of rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) while manning crew-served, weapon-ring mount cupolas on military vehicles such as HMMWV, 5-Ton Truck and Stryker Armored Vehicles.
Description:
The CPE is a modified countermine ensemble
with a blast and fragmentation protective
visor, trousers, jacket, front and rear blast plates, and an upper torso cooling system. The CPE is worn over the standard Interceptor Body Armor, extending protection
to the head, neck, face and extremities.
The integrated cooling system offsets heat effects. A contoured Kevlar neck guard provides protection for neck and temporal lobes. The CPE consists of the following:
• Base jacket
• Sleeves (left and right) with rigid composite
inserts (forearm and bicep)
• Blast plate assembly – chest and groin
• Rear blast plate
• Pants and integrated groin protector (IGP)
• Removable explosive ordnance disposal collar
• Optional neck/nape guard
• Visor System worn with PASGT or ACH helmet
• Hand Guards

peosoldier.army.mil...

looks pretty good, however as long as he or she aint goin to chase after the bad guys and just stays with the vehicle then he or she will be fine. looks like the U.S. military has finally brought something out dat can protect troops from RPGs, IEDs, and small arms fire either it be AKs or sniper rifles. looks like a bomb squad suit except u see Velcro on the guys chest design for modularity for wat stuff u can put on either magazines or grenades or other necessities.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good post - but I had to laugh (at myself) because the first time I looked at the outfit I thought it included some special thigh pads for the legs but realised it was the Hummers tire in the background

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It looks interesting but I wonder why they just do not enclose the entire cupola with a bulletproof dome?

Man I would not want to be wearing that thing if the cooling system failed

Pretty cool though. Remeber those guys in LA that were armoured and robbed a bank and it ended up in an hours long shootout cause the cop's guns would not bring the guys down. Id hate to see this get in the wrong hands

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Fred the armored cupola Idea negates several key advantages of a pintel type mount. In addition even under ideal circumstances using space age cutting edge materials you are talking at least 100 to 150 pounds to enclose it in a "ball" type turret (ala B-17 belly turret). This would cause a snowball effect of having to upgrade the turret ring to hold the additional weight, and further most likelly require powered assist for it to track smooth and any sort of quick. There you add a nominal 50 more pounds. My guess is that alone would result in needing a new roof pillar system to support all the weight. In addition all of that is assuming you could find the hypothetical space to shoe horn the widgets and hydraulics etc in.
Add to that the loss of the ability to dismount the weapon in a hurry if the vehicle becomes inoperable and you have a truly herculean mess. While I'm all for our boys getting every advantage we can give them uparmoring the hummvee beyond a certain point negates most of it's key advantages and is why we have started reevaluating the concept of the 5 ton gun truck as a stiffener when armor and IFV's are unavailable to fill the role in a mobile formation.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
agreed with Sugarlump. if the vehicle of any kind was to be equipped with all protection dome to protect the soldier, he or she would be trapped like in a burning coffin, but its called tradeoffs. however we can have the troops protected like gunner shield kits that doesnt cover the whole gunner but protects him 360 degrees except the top where he can see around him. dats also the problem with all protection dome is dat it narrows the view of wat is goin on with yer surroundings wen u cant see crap.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
My opinion. Having had to wear similar body armour, though not as extensive, in Canadian M113's I am totally against this. You can hardly move in that much armour and with the trauma plates in you weigh a tonne. Your better off with sheilds and regular body armour. That way the crew member manning the cupola is still usefull for tasks other than sitting in the cupola because he can move. If there is any real threat of fire you should have a turret or a remote firing station. A guy hanging out of a hole getting shot at has a hard time returning accurate fire. Having said that, it's definately better than nothing.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Why don't thye just make the gun remote control from inside the truck with a CCTV targeting system and not even expose a person up top in the first place?

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The whole idea of having MGs on cupolas is to give situational awareness and responsive fire support. Remote MGs have been used since ww2, but they are hell to target consealed targets, having limited field of view, slow traverse, and costly.

I would think limiting the suit to the upper half of the torso would be enough.

new topics

top topics

join