It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Split Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i have an idea. why dont we just undo what the british did? if the shia, sunni, and kurds cant live together peacefully, then make 3 different countries for them. they were mostly seperate to begin with, why should they be forced to live and work together when they have proven over and over again that the only way to keep them from killing each other is a strong and ruthless leader? it was churchill's bright idea, and has proven to have been one of his worst.

if anyone actually wants to learn about iraqi history:

www.angelfire.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
split Iraq and the Sunnis will never get their oil and civil war will be commence for who controls the land filled oil. no doubt it will just make it worse.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't think we can create a tiny little country the size of the Sunni triangle. The Sunnis want all, or most of Iraq anyway. Especially its oilfields. Splitting them up will satisfy the Kurds in the north, and possibly the Shiite in the south, but not the Sunnis. And without a major port (as far as I know) or the ability to even create one in the Sunni triangle, and without oil or any other major natural resource, I don't think the Sunnis would have any chance at creating any sort of viable economy to support themselves.

The bottom line is that Iraq is what it is. Whether a mistake was made by Britain and Churchill a century ago is really moot at this point. We need to play the hand we've been dealt and do our best to stabalize the situation. I think sometimes we're shortchanging the people of Iraq when we act like they're not civilized enough to live together without being under the control of a ruthless dictator. I think we shortchange them when we say democracy cannot work there. I'm sure those were the kinds of thoughts that were said about other countries in the past and have come to be proven wrong by the people.

We need to do our best to make the situation there work, and to make the people realize that their only chance of success and freedom is to work together to build a free and strong Iraq. And I think we are pretty much doing that right now. It's just not something that's going to be accomplished overnight.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
i have an idea. why dont we just undo what the british did? if the shia, sunni, and kurds cant live together peacefully, then make 3 different countries for them. they were mostly seperate to begin with, why should they be forced to live and work together when they have proven over and over again that the only way to keep them from killing each other is a strong and ruthless leader? it was churchill's bright idea, and has proven to have been one of his worst.

if anyone actually wants to learn about iraqi history:

www.angelfire.com...

You want people to learn about Iraq from an angelfire website?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Problem is all three sides want the whole pie. Their mission in life is to eliminate the other two sides. There is a saying, "A wise man learns the lessons of history lest he be doomed to repeat them". It didn't work for Churchill what makes you think it will work now?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

www.angelfire.com...

You want people to learn about Iraq from an angelfire website?

if its accurate, who cares where it came from?

are you saying there is something wrong with that sites depiction of iraqi history? after perusing many different sites, i chose that one because it was accurate from the information i have seen elsewhere, and had everything on one page....i would have had to piecemeal something together, otherwise.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by snafu7700]

top topics

join