It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Milk Help You Sleep?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Is that true that drinking milk before you go to sleep, helps you get tired and makes you kind of sleepy?

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I've never really investigated that....maybe yes, and maybe no...I'm not really sure. I'd think yes, because it's one of those 'old family remedies' for insomnia. It may be a psycological thing by now. But my theory is that it reminds us of breast milk as a child....Just a soothing thing, you know? Eh. Just a guess. Peace.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Its really true, at school I did a project on this.

Milk contains a chemical called (If I can remember my Science), tryptohan (not sure about the spelling), which gets converted in your body to Seratonin which is known to aid sleep.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Isnt that in turkey as well?

Im not sure if it makes you more sleepy, but everynight i bring my 4 y ear old a glass of chocolate milk before going to bed..I dont know if its the milk that makes him sleepy, or was he sleepy already..?

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've heard that and I tried it a few times but it never seemed to make a diffrence to me. However I know several people who say it does work for them. Maybe its something that works for some people but not others. Or maybe I'm just weird.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
New scientist had an article last year claiming you slept less well because the stomach has to produce extra enzimes to digest the milk and for some reason you sleep less well when your stomach is doing this.

I drink coffee before going to bed, so what do I know

new topics

top topics

join