It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All christians are fake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I think all christians are fake christians for this one passage Matthew 19:21

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. (KJV
Now how many have you known have actually done this?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Jesus heard what? Did Jesus say we should sell everything we have and distribute that wealth amongst the to the poor?

Well ScienceGuy, I don't think most people who believe in Christianity or any religions is true to their faith anymore. Religions is more or less a label, that is stuck on you when your born because of your mom or dad's religion. Going to masses doesn't count, because some people go because it has become a daily routine. They either go to sleep during mass or think about what they are gonna do when they get home. We're just living in world who only know know the term "I". You always think about yourself, and failed to see the needs of other. I think it's truly said people don't give a way a portion of their money to the poor, because people are dying and starving, and the middle and upper classes are is stuffing their face with not essential materials.

Even those super religious people only truly care about themselves, like those muslim extremist, they use religion to mask, their needs and wants. Same with christian extremist, they think that they are the choosen one, or God has choosen them, and their only real reason of helping people is to get into heaven, and think high and mighty of themselves.

But, there are some people that are well balanced

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Not all christians are fake and most are very giving. Of course, at what point does the average person give up what they have to give it to others?

There are multimillionaires who donate here and there. There are Christian charities who do much good around the world. "Sell all that thou hast"? BS. God wants us to prosper and have things including money. Do not be greedy and share to good causes. Help your fellow man.

Sell all that thou hast seems like something added by the 700 Club

Send us the money, because god wants the "seed" of money so that YOU may prosper. Thats BS.

I'll wait to hear such orders directly from my God.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
As some one more learned in this area than myself has stated:

"When you take text out of context you are left with pretext."

Let's look at the full passage:

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

27Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?

28And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

29And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

30But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

This gets to the very core of the issue that is argued between Calvinists and Lutherans/Catholics. That salvation is not based on works, but on placing your belief in God above all else in your life. To not allow the things of this world to usurp the top slot that God should hold in your heart.

The statement you quoted by Christ, when taken in the entire context, is the very opposite of the point you are trying to make. You can't buy your way in...because the price is paid in the exercise of your free moral agency, and your faithfulness to the love of God above all else.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Wealth according to christ:
He wasn't speaking of finances....He was speaking of what you have learned and attained through him. (fruits of the spirit)

Patience, Love, Forgiveness, understanding, kind gesture, sharing your experience strength and hope.

The poor he speaks of can be the ones that are angry, self serving, the sad, broken in spirit,lost, confused. Not necessarily just the homeless and financially poor.

Christ also speaks of showing the fruits of the spirit to their own kind, namely, other people that believe the way they do.(other christians) This is no great task..even the barbarians do this, he says. But can you do this with people you otherwise would despise? (Patience, Love, Forgiveness, understanding, kind gesture, sharing your experience strength and hope.
)

[edit on 29-10-2005 by magnito_student]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by scienceguy94
I think all christians are fake christians for this one passage Matthew 19:21

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. (KJV
Now how many have you known have actually done this?

When he said this he was talking to a man who was trying to find out how to gain eternal life/heaven, he was trying to work his way to heaven. This man was financially rich and the possessions he had, owned him. He didn't own his possessions, his possessions owned him. Jesus was saying I must be first in your life. To gain eternal life you must not have anyhting blocking your view of me, because you must accept that I am the only way to eternal life. Jesus is to have 1st place in our life, if anything is valued more in our life than Jesus then we need to get rid of it, because it will keep yoiu from coming to God through Christ.

Is everyone who is a christian suppose to sell all they have. Of course not you have to have a place to live, food to eat and clothes to wear. We are not to place more emphasis on stuff than Jesus. Example, say you have just gotten your income tax refund back. You are thinking of buying a $2000 big screen TV. Do you really need that? Is your 27 inch TV working, and are you able to watch shows at the present time? A big screen TV is not needed for someone who claims the name of Christ. You have $2000 that's burning a hole in your pocket. You have a choice, spend it on yourself for a temporary pleasure or give it away so others may hear of Christ and gain eternity with God.

The young man in the story walked away when Jesus told him this. He valued his stuff more than Jesus. He was placing more value on himself and his status than on knowing Christ.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Science Guy, you know what Christ could do that you cannot do? He can look into the heart and mind of every man. This is what He did with this very wealthy man to whom He was speaking. This was not meant asa a commandment to all people, this was a directive to that man. This was also a point of learning for the rest of us.

you really should have picked another name for yourself, as a true science guy would not jump to erroneous conclusions without even a small fraction of all the facts.
Also, a science guy would know to fully examine a forum before posting athread; that way, he'd be certain he posting his thread in the right domain. This domain is for conspiracies. The "This thread is a mindless bash of Christianity" forum would be found over in BTS, where this thread is about to go. Actually, the Spirituality forum isn't for that, but that is the closest forum you'll find for the correct one ffor this thread.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Science Guy, you know what Christ could do that you cannot do? He can look into the heart and mind of every man. This is what He did with this very wealthy man to whom He was speaking. This was not meant asa a commandment to all people, this was a directive to that man. This was also a point of learning for the rest of us.

you really should have picked another name for yourself, as a true science guy would not jump to erroneous conclusions without even a small fraction of all the facts.
Also, a science guy would know to fully examine a forum before posting athread; that way, he'd be certain he posting his thread in the right domain. This domain is for conspiracies. The "This thread is a mindless bash of Christianity" forum would be found over in BTS, where this thread is about to go. Actually, the Spirituality forum isn't for that, but that is the closest forum you'll find for the correct one ffor this thread.

Well science and religion are quite different. I am sorry for posting such rubbish I just needed some clarification thats all.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You posted an assertion, and then enquired as to how many Christians were not "fakes". This is not innocent clarification.

new topics

top topics

join