It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Cheney Adviser Libby Resigns After Indictment

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Following a two year investigation by counsel Patrick Fitzgerald, a chief adviser to Vice President Dick Cheney has been indicted. Lewis "Scooter' Libby Jr., resigned today after he was charged with obstruction of justice, perjury, and suppling a CIA investigation with false information. The charges stem from the outing of former CIA agent Valerie Plame who's husband was a vocal critic of the war in Iraq.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Vice presidential adviser I. Lewis "Scooter' Libby Jr. resigned Friday after being charged with obstruction of justice, perjury and making a false statement in the CIA leak investigation, a politically charged case that could throw a spotlight on President Bush's push to war.

Karl Rove, Bush's closest adviser, escaped indictment Friday but remained under investigation, his legal status a looming political problem for the White House.

The indictment charged Libby, 55, with one count of obstruction of justice, two of perjury and two false statement counts. If convicted on all five, he could face as much as 30 years in prison and $1.25 million in fines.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One at a time perhaps? Rove is tainted enough by this that his future political aspirations are really in doubt. Its also interesting that some media reports are calling Libby a "Senior Aide" while other make it clear he is Cheney's chief of staff. I wonder if the role the POTUS and the VP played in this and when they knew as well. AT any rate, being indicted is one thing actually being found guilty in the states these days seems to be another. The GOP had everything it could have possibly wanted the last few years and has dropped the ball badly. There is going to be quite a falling out and shakeup of the party in the coming years.

[edit on 10/28/05 by FredT]

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 29-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I wonder how Rove avoided being indicted?

And, I wonder what Bush's comments will be.

I've heard rumor that because of this, Cheney is going to step down as VP - citing "health reasons" - and that Condi Rice will become VP.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
So far it seems that they all got off light. If it was it the public sector and not the political, all the players right up to Bush would be facing charges. Nothing new. One or two scape goats and all goes away.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Cheney, Rove and Bush do what hope, for this to end quickly. So they can get back to their illegal war on the Muslims and destroying the American Constitution for their true masters

Or will Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald seek to open more Grand Juries or extend the present one say up till the next Die bold sponsored elections? Throwing a monkey wrench into the Republican election plans.

I am curious to see whom the Old/New World Order of Banksters (CFR, Trilateralists)(sp) will back this time. The Muslim religion and the US Constitution are two major roadblocks that are in the way of these people once dealt with it will be clear sailing to One World Corporate corruption oups I mean Government.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Or will Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald seek to open more Grand Juries or extend the present one say up till the next Die bold sponsored elections? Throwing a monkey wrench into the Republican election plans.

I hope so. I think he's just getting all his ducks in a row.

At a news conference, Fitzgerald said the inquiry was substantially complete, though he added ominously, "It's not over." He declined to comment about Rove's involvement. Asked about Cheney, he said: "I'm not making allegations about anyone not charged in the indictment."

Source

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Its not over yet. We have Cheney and Rove, the brains behind the mouthpiece that Scooter was.
I would say wait and see. I have respect for this prosecutor and faith that if others ordered Libby to make these phone calls they will go down.
This prosecutor cant be bought.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is going to turn into a situation with two options ultimately:

1. Rove, Bush, Cheney get off free and Libby takes the fall for them

or

2. A media smokescreen is needed to divert attention fast.

We all know Iran is going to be at war with America or an American ally before December - it's been said that will be the case since early 2004 and considering Isreal have said Iran will be bombed before Russia can fuel their reactors - an attack on the US, especially congress or in Washington will be the perfect 9/11 sequal.

Not only would another major attack void any real concern over this CIA outing scandle but it would give the US a reason to invade Iran under the 'War on Terror' banner but more importantly, it will give Isreal the option to support an invasion rather than leading one.

If 9/11 was perfect to have happened for the sake of PNAC ideals, another attack on an equal or bigger scale will again be EXACTLY what PNAC & Isreal need to happen very soon.

This will be a very interesting test to see how much support Bush/Cheney/Rove actually have - will it go to war or will they be forced out on their tails like Nixon?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Ok, can somebody tell me just what Cheney and Rove are getting away with?

What is the central charge here? That somebody 'outed' Valerie Plame as a covert CIA op.

Supposedly, Cheney told Libby that she was a spook. Was that legal for Cheney to do? Absolutely. No crime was committed. But Libby said he first heard of it from reporters.

Was Libby charged today with 'outing' Plame? No.

If Libby manages to get the perjury charges marked down to making false statements, he walks for all intents and purposes.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why was it that made Libby feel he needed to lie? That is odd.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Look, much as i dislike them, Cheney is no dummy. Its perfectly ok for Cheney to tell "Scooter". Its not ok for Scooter to blab.
Cheney planted the seed in a sleezy attempt to get Scooter Motormouth to talk. It worked.
It went as planned and the rest i beleive will be safe of any wrongdoing.

I may be wrong, but i beleive this.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Did it work, dg? He hasn't been charged with that yet.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
IMHO, I beleive that Bush,Cheney, Libby, and Rove all had a hand in the outing of the CIA agent, after all they were hiding the report that valerie's husband had brought back two years ago and went ahead with the attack on Iraq knowing full well that there was no WMD's to speak of in Iraq. This Administartion lied to Congress, the Citizens of the US and to the world.

When Fitzgerald started his investigation into the CIA leak and when it was coming down to the last days of this investigation, that Administartion was getting pretty jumpy from what all the news reports were saying, someone's head was in the noose if not a couple peoples. IMO, Bush made it clear to the others that he did not want to lose the "brain" behind his doings, that he also did not intend to lose his vice President but someone had to take the blame and that left Scooter. A news report tonight said that Rove called Fitzgerald last night to talk with him about "something". So is Rove this misterious "A" that was mentioned in the indictment ??? Did Bush,Cheney, and Rove make an offer to Scooter if he would willing be the scape-goat for them???? Those three men have the money to make Scooter a very very rich man, and did Scooter agree to be the "fall guy " and is that why Rove "out of the blue" called Fitzgerald last night to point the finger at Scooter ????
At any rate it's time for this Administration to be impeached and someone new take over the White House. After all, this is all happening on "Bush's watch" and as President HE is responsible .
As far as I'm concerned they can put another Republican in Bush's place as long as the Bush Administration is out of there for good.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

A news report tonight said that Rove called Fitzgerald last night to talk with him about "something". So is Rove this misterious "A" that was mentioned in the indictment ??? Did Bush,Cheney, and Rove make an offer to Scooter if he would willing be the scape-goat for them???? Those three men have the money to make Scooter a very very rich man, and did Scooter agree to be the "fall guy " and is that why Rove "out of the blue" called Fitzgerald last night to point the finger at Scooter ????

It was Rove's lawyers that contacted Fitzgerald last night.

Do you see what you are implying? You are saying that as late as last night, Fitz had no idea who was going to be charged with what on Friday. Luckily for him, Rove came through with a plan that would work.

You're making it sound like a TV sitcom that has to be all wrapped up in 30 minutes.

At any rate it's time for this Administration to be impeached and someone new take over the White House. After all, this is all happening on "Bush's watch" and as President HE is responsible .
As far as I'm concerned they can put another Republican in Bush's place as long as the Bush Administration is out of there for good.

Hey dg, you were asking what the fallout would be...

I told you so.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Look, much as i dislike them, Cheney is no dummy. Its perfectly ok for Cheney to tell "Scooter". Its not ok for Scooter to blab.

True enough. But, I read the indictment and it wasn't clear that Scooter knew that what Cheney told him was classified, which may be why he wasn't charged with outing Plame. In any case, he should have known better. IMHO, if he had any sense, when reporters like Russert, et. al. called to talk about Wilson, and his supposed CIA agent wife (eg. Russert baited Scooter by saying all the reporters in DC knew she was CIA) he should have responded with "I don't know what the hell you are talking about". That's always the safest thing to say when the subject even remotely involves the CIA. Particularly when you are talking to some jerk from the media.

Cheney planted the seed in a sleezy attempt to get Scooter Motormouth to talk. It worked.
It went as planned and the rest i beleive will be safe of any wrongdoing.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think enough information exists to say what Cheney's motives were. It looks suspicous. It was definitely politics as usual in Washington where character assassination is a sport. But that's not illegal or even "unethical" in the world of DC power politics. Nonetheless, the whole administration should be ashamed of themselves.

The best I can say is that at least Libby & Rove haven't parsed what the definition of the word "is" is. Yet.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
While I am somewhat dismayed by the Bush administrations actions lately, I personally believe this entire episode is much ado about nothing.

A Personal Conspiracy Theory:

One could make a good case that the entire sorrid affair is/was a CIA plot. The head of the CIA at that time (Tenet) was a holdover from the Clinton administration and was under severe pressure from the White House over their faulty intelligence conncerning Iraq. The initial lead about the Niger yellow cake came from the CIA. Valerie Plame, a confirmed Democrat & consistent, heavy contributor to the party, personally recommended her husband to investigate the Niger uranium connection. His subsequent selection for the mission, if not for her recommendation, would have been extremely unlikely. As a matter of fact, his selection would have immediately led to investigation of his wife--and subsequent discovery of her as a "covert CIA operative"--by just about every intelligence agency in the world.

The CIA had to know Valerie Plame would be uncovered by her husband's mission, therefore they either didn't care, or another purpose was being served. Given that they had been under attack by the White House for months over their faulty intelligence concerning Iraq, and given that they were the source of the initial intelligence concerning Niger, and further given that Willson's wife personally recommended him for the mission, it isn't much of a stretch to say that the CIA set the whole thing up to embarass or discredit the White House.

Mind you I'm not claiming the conspiracy theory above is true, but it is certainly within the bounds of reason and would have been a reasonably good way to alleviate some of the pressure they were under while at the same time discrediting the White House.

On that same subject, take a careful look at the role of the N.Y. Times and other members of their staff during this same period. They don't come out of this smelling very good at all.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I got it !!!!!! lets blame it on Clinton.

Is Clinton's administration fault I am amazed by such inside, don't you think that blaming Clinton is getting old?

Or you forgot that the whole issue is link to the planning of the invasion in Iraq, Chaney been the masterminded.

Yes is Clinton's fault all alone.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
No marg6043 I don't want to blame it on Clinton. In retrospect, Clinton wasn't all that bad. He had feet of clay so to speak, but don't we all.

Having said that, let me hasten to add that some of the people in the Clinton administration were about as smart as a box of rocks.

www.theconservativevoice.com...

The link above will give you one of the conservative spins on this affair.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Ok, can somebody tell me just what Cheney and Rove are getting away with?

What is the central charge here? That somebody 'outed' Valerie Plame as a covert CIA op.

Supposedly, Cheney told Libby that she was a spook. Was that legal for Cheney to do? Absolutely. No crime was committed. But Libby said he first heard of it from reporters.

Was Libby charged today with 'outing' Plame? No.

If Libby manages to get the perjury charges marked down to making false statements, he walks for all intents and purposes.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why was it that made Libby feel he needed to lie? That is odd.

And why liars lie, obstruct justice and perjure themselves. They have something to hide. It's not odd. And it's also not odd to keep a case clear and simple for juries, taking down the bad guys one by one, slow and methodical as you work your way through the conspiracy.

But not only this point of common understanding is eluding many of the "legal analysts" on the TV, but so are big bold black & white words in the official indictment (which is a clear sign of what's coming):

Stop Playing Dumb America, We Know Who Outed Plame

From Paragraph 14 of the indictment:

On June 23, 2003, LIBBY met with New York Times reporter Judith Miller. During this meeting . . . Libby informed her that [Joe] Wilson's wife might work at the CIA.

Paragraph 17 of the Indictment describes Libby telling Miller again that Plame was a CIA agent on July 8, 2003.

Paragraph 21 of the Indictment describes Official A (Karl Rove) as confirming to Robert Novak that Plame was a CIA agent during the week prior to July 11, 2003 (presumably after July 6.)

Paragraph 23 of the Indictment describes Libby telling Matt Cooper that Plame was a CIA agent on July 12, 2003.

Paragraph 24 of the Indictment describes Libby telling Judith Miller again on July 12, 2003 that Plame was a CIA agent (apparently Judy Miller has a faulty memory and could not hold the thought in her head).

So who outed Valerie Plame? Libby and Rove. Is that too hard to understand? If so, well how about this from Fitzgerald's press conference:

Valerie Wilson's cover was blown in July 2003. The first sign of that cover being blown was when Mr. Novak published a column on July 14th, 2003.

But Mr. Novak was not the first reporter to be told that Wilson's wife, Valerie Wilson, Ambassador Wilson's wife Valerie, worked at the CIA. Several other reporters were told.

In fact, Mr. Libby was the first official known to have told a reporter when he talked to Judith Miller in June of 2003 about Valerie Wilson.

There. Is that clear now?

We also know why... the war. We also know much more than is pleasant to say in mixed company about how high this really goes.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Astronomer, there is a crucial flaw in your theory. The White House was forcing the CIA to fix intelligence around policy. Hence, the "faulty CIA evidence" was rooted in Cheney's frequent visits to the CIA in which he demanded corroborating evidence and covered up conflicting evidence - all to bolster the case for a predetermined invasion of Iraq. Therefore it was not the CIA's faulty intelligence, it was the White House's.

When the CIA tried to defend its reputation by sending Wilson to Nigeria to at least confirm the British accusations of Nigerian yellow cake they found it to be false. The White House tried to supress Wilson's report so he went public with it, probably with the CIA's blessing. The CIA was being set up to take the fall for faulty intelligence by the White House and they moved to clear their reputation via Wilson.

The White House got their revenge against Wilson and the CIA by outing Plame who was a covert CIA agent and Wilson's wife. Thats how I see it.

[edit on 28/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Subz your viewpoint is certainly the one endorsed by the media and by the majority of Americans and I will not try to discredit that view. I merely presented an alternative view that fit the facts and is reasonable.

Any of you that want to inject a little levity into the political process now & then may want to visit the following sites:

www.defenddemocracy.org...

www.aim.org...

blamebush.typepad.com...

www.wuzzadem.com...

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
But why would the CIA be under pressure from the White House for proving faulty evidence that supported the case for invasion? Do you really think the White House would attack its primary foreign intelligence agency for providing evidence that backed its call to war? Do you have any articles which show the White House was critical of the CIA for giving faulty intelligence that supported the case for war prior to the Iraq invasion? I dont recall seeing any White House criticism of the CIA's intelligence that backed the case for war, only those that cast a doubt over the White House's claims of Iraqi WMDs.

It doesnt make sense.

[edit on 28/10/05 by subz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join