It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artillary Systems Of The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Okay guys deltaboy told me to start this, so we could have one thread to report about all the artillary systems we find out about.

The G6 is a 155mm long-range gun developed and produced by the LIW division of Denel, mounted on a chassis made by Alvis OMC (now part of BAE Systems Land Systems). The G6 is in service with the South African Army (43 systems) and has also been exported to the United Arab Emirates (78 systems) and Oman (24 systems).

The G6 155mm self propelled howitzer is a highly autonomous system with 700km vehicle fuel range, 50km weapon range using velocity enhanced

long range projectiles and the ability to fire the first round within 60 seconds of the vehicle stopping.

In September 2001, the G6 achieved a range of 53.6km using the new Velocity enhanced Long Range Projectile (V-LAP) and the new M64 bi-modular charge system. V-LAP combines base bleed and rocket motor technology, while the M64 charge system increases muzzle velocity to 910m/s VLAP is part of Denel’s new Assegai range of 155mm ammunition.

The G6 is operated by a crew of six - driver, commander, gun layer, breech operator, ammunition loader and ammunition handler

The gun is compatible with all NATO 155mm ammunition, including extended range full-bore (ERFB) projectiles of explosive, cargo and practice types, which are all ballistically matched and with field-fittable base bleed units. The ERFB projectiles provide the G6 with increased range and terminal effectiveness. Using base-bleed projectiles, the G6 has a nominal range of 39km at sea level. As an example of the gun's accuracy, at 75% of the maximum range the probable error specification is 0.48% of the range value and 1 mil in deflection.

A five-zone combustible case modular propelling charge system is based on cool-burning propellants which ensure a barrel life of more than 6,000 standard charges. The system is compatible with direct action, electronic timing or proximity type fuses.

Home Industry Projects Artillery Systems G6 155mm

SPECIFICATIONS - G6 155MM SELF PROPELLED HOWITZER, SOUTH AFRICA
main Weapon
Calibre 155 millimetres
barrel length 45 calibres
Breech Semi-automatic screw type breech
muzzle brake single baffle, open type, muzzle brake
fume extractor reinforced epoxy resin
ammunition compatibility all nato 155mm ammunition
weapon Performance
maximum rate of fire 3 rounds per minute
range at sea level, standard ammunition 30 km
range at sea level, base bleed ammunition 39 km
range at sea level, velocity enhanced long range projectile 50 km
range at sea level, direct fire 0 to 3 km
Into-action time 60 seconds
Out-of-action time 30 seconds
On-board ammunition 45 projectiles, 50 charges
gun control Equipment
control equipment electrohydraulic with hydropneumatic equilibrators
back up control system manual hydraulic back-up control
elevation range -5 to +75 degrees
firing arc 80 degrees
secondary weapons
machine gun
eight 81 millimetre smoke grenade launchers
firing ports for personal weapons
vehicle Performance
maximum road speed 85 km/hour
maximum speed cross-country and on sand 30 km/hour
maximum gradient 40%
maximum trench crossing 1.0 metres
maximum fording depth 1.0 metres
turning circle 27 metres
fuel tank capacity 700 litres
fuel range on road 700 km
physical Characteristics
Weight 47 tonnes
Length 10.4 metres
Width 3.4 metres
ground clearance 0.45 metres
track width 2.8 metres
power pack and Driveline
air cooled diesel engine 386 kW
Automatic/manual gearbox 6 speed with torque converter
Driveline propshafts and differentials
differential locks longitudinal and transverse differential locks
Suspension independent torsion bars, shock absorber, hydropneumatic bump stops
wheels and brakes
Tyres 21.00 x 25
tyres fitted with run-flat elements and central tyre inflation system
Brakes power assisted brakes, drums on all wheels

source

Looks interesting can't find any pics on it to post, for some strange reason. Has really awesome range with those special projectiles, its amazing what small nations can make!

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Braveheart

www.army-technology.com...

The AS90 Braveheart is a 155mm self-propelled howitzer which entered service with the British Army in 1992. It is manufactured by BAE Systems Land Systems (RO Defence and formerly the Armaments Division of Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Ltd) at Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. 179 have been built for the British Army. The AS90 was deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in March 2003.

In July 2004, the UK Ministry of Defence announced plans to reduce the number of AS90 artillery batteries by six. Three batteries will be drawn down and one AS90 regiment of three batteries will be re-roled to a light gun regiment, to support a new light brigade. The changes are to be effected by March 2007.

As of June 2005, 146 AS90 howitzers were in service with the British Army.

An enhanced version of the Howitzer, the Desert AS90, has been built to provide high capability in arduous desert conditions. The Desert AS90 underwent successful trials in the Arizona Desert in 1994 and in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia in 1996. This version, with the 52 calibre barrel is called the AS90 Braveheart.

www.fas.org...

Crew 5;
Length 9.07m:
Width 3.3m;
Height 3.0m overall;
Armour 17mm;
Calibre 155mm;
Range (39 cal) 24.7 kms (52 cal) 30 kms;
Rate of Fire 3 rounds in 10 secs (burst) 6 rounds per minute (intense) 2 rounds per minute (sustained);
Secondary Armament 7.62mm MG;
Ammunition Carried 48 x 155 mm projectiles and charges (31 turret & 17 hull);
Engine turbo-charged V8 diesel 600hp;
Max Speed 53 kph; Road Range 420 kms.

oops i forgot to put comments on it while i was doing a preview sorry about dat. but in anicase good old British engineering for this weaponry.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
First off let me say hello to all, never posted in this forum I don't think.

Great pics. Are they taken at a UK training site? Reminds me a lot of some areas at Graf in Germany, especially the muddy fields that seem to go hand-in-hand with tracked ops during rainy season.

Really looks like folks have come a long way since my time as a Cav Redleg.

Max road speed 85KM/hr? Weight, 47 tonnes? Range 50K (with special rounds)? So: faster, heavier (if a British "tonne" is the same as an American ton) and a longer range than the ol' M109A1 that I remember from the 1970's. Jeez... .

Gotta' wonder how long they can keep that max rate-of-fire of 3 rounds-per-minute up though.

A question I am sure has been answered about a million times somewhere, but are the modern SP artillery which are not "open crew area" (for lack of a better term, sorry) such as the M110, based on the "Elefant" model produced by Germany during WW II?

Again, great pics; don't miss the mud, though.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
at the risk of seeming unpatriotic , the two systems that i think look the " coolest " are :

the french ` CEASAR `

PICTURE

and the german ` panzer howitzer 2000 `

specs

and the german

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The pictures of the shells in the magazine storage area..the shells are blue in colour. Is this a special lubricant coating on them such as a molykote base. I think it is sometimes called Moly. Or is this just to identify the type of shell it is???
Nice pictures and agree with the poster who stated that they dont miss the mud. I agree with this sentiment entirely. Amen.
I have seen bullets for rifles with this blue tint this is why I ask.
Also I dont remember the guys name but as the articles I remember this fellow was a Canadian and did some research and experiments with artillery and the extending the range significantly beyond what was available at the time. These new artillery pieces seem to incorporate this improved design giving them noticably more range.
155MM seems to be the standard artillery piece now days.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
from the look of the pic - the shells are painted blue as part of the germans colour coding

look at the driving band and stenciled lettering - IMHO its not a lubricant coating - thats paint

now having said that - i am confused are all nato 155mm shells supposed to be all system compatible ? so colour coding should be std ?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
PzH 2000 155mm
PZH 2000 155MM SELF PROPELLED HOWITZER, GERMANY

The PzH 2000 (Panzerhaubitze 2000) is the 155mm self propelled howitzer developed by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) together with the main sub-contractor Rheinmetall Landsysteme for the German Army. KMW received a contract in 1996 for production of 185 units. The first system was delivered in July 1998 and deliveries for this batch are complete. Rheinmetall (formerly MaK) delivers the complete chassis for all series vehicles. Total German Army requirement is expected to be around 450 units. PzH 2000 has also been selected by the Italian, Dutch and Greek Armies. The Greek Army has 24 systems, delivered between July 2003 and June 2004. A German / Italian co-production programme with Consorzio Iveco-Oto Melara is planned to provide the 70 units for the Italian Army, with deliveries from 2005-08. The Dutch have signed a contract for the procurement of for 57 units for delivery from 2005-09.

In May 2001, during test firings for the Hellenic Army, the PzH 2000 fired 20 rounds all to ranges exceeding 40km (41.8km maximum). The ranges were achieved using M2000BB Assegai shells from Naschem/Denel of South Africa, in combination with the Rheinmetall DM 72 modular charge system. In November 2002, in live firings in Sweden, a similar range was achieved with Rheinmetall's new long range RH 40 BB ammunition, also fired with the modular charge system.

A PzH 2000 howitzer turret has been mounted on the deck of German Navy F124 frigate, Hamburg, as a demonstration of the feasibility of the system for naval applications. The concept is called MONARC and requires a flexible elastic mounting.

ARMAMENT

The electrical gun control system, supplied by ESW Extel Systems Wedel, comprises the automatic elevating and traversing drives with semi-automatic back-up, direct laying with electrical instrument control and manual control.

The 155mm L52 gun of the PzH 2000 was developed by Rheinmetall DeTec. The barrel length is 52 calibre and chamber volume is 23 litres. The gun has a chromium-plated barrel and semiautomatic lifting breech block with integrated 32-round standard primer magazine. Gun parameters such as chamber temperature are monitored automatically. The PzH 2000 is equipped with a full automatic shell loading system with ammunition management system.

The chromium-plated barrel is 8m long and is fitted with a slotted muzzle brake which gives increased muzzle velocity and reduces the level of muzzle flash. The wedge type breech block is integrated with an exchangeable primer magazine fitted with an endless conveyer for automatic primer transportation, loading and unloading.

Rheinmetall DeTec has also developed a six-zone modular Propelling Charge System (MTLS), the DM72, which provides for faster handling, less wear on the gun, lower sensitivity to ignition hazards and improved range. In the PzH2000, up to six MTLS modules form the propelling charge. The maximum range of the L52 gun using the maximum MTLS charges is 30km with the standard L15A2 round and up to 40km with assisted projectiles.

The gun positioning and laying system is produced by Honeywell Maintal and mounted on the gun cradle. The system automatically determines gun direction, position and elevation above sea level. The integrated Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver and the vehicle's motor sensors form the hybrid navigation system of the PzH 2000.

AUTOMATIC SHELL LOADING SYSTEM

The PzH 2000 automatic shell loading system can handle 60 rounds of 155mm ammunition. The shells are picked up from the back of the vehicle and automatically stowed in the 60-round magazine in the centre of the chassis.

The shell loading system is driven by brushless electric servo motors supplied by MOOG. The automatic shell loading system has pneumatically driven flick rammer and automatic digital control, ammunition supply management and inductive fuze setting. This provides rates of fire of 3 rounds in less than 10 seconds and loading of 60 shells by two operators within 12 minutes, including the collation of ammunition data. The firing rate of the PzH 2000 was 12 rounds in 59.74 seconds, and 20 rounds in 1 minute 47 seconds, during firing tests in October 1997 with an improved autoloader. The muzzle velocity is determined automatically by means of a radar sensor and is used in the fire control computation.

FIRE CONTROL AND OBSERVATION

The PzH 2000 can use an automatic mode of operation including the data radio link with an external command and control system. The autonomous fire control functions are controlled by an on-board MICMOS computer supplied by EADS (formerly DaimlerChrysler Aerospace). Using the automatic mode, target engagements can be carried out by a crew of two. Using the fire control data provided by the ballistics computer, the gun is automatically laid and relayed during the mission.

Various backup modes are available which guarrantee system sustainability in case of a component failure. As the lowest backup mode, an optical mechanical backup sytem is available. The commander has a Leica PERI-RTNL 80 panoramic periscope, which is used in under-armour operations and for target designation in direct laying engagements. PERI-RTNL 80 has day and night vision channels and a laser rangefinder. The gunner is equipped with a Leica PzF TN 80 day and night direct fire sight for direct laying of the gun.

PROPULSION

The 736kW powerpack of the PzH 2000 is mounted at the front of the hull and consists of an 8-cylinder direct-injection, supercharged MTU MT881 Ka-500 diesel engine with a 4-speed Renk HSWL 284 C gearbox. Three fuel tanks provide a 420km cruise range.

www.army-technology.com...

NR

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Great thread, this is one of our own modified re-engineered Howitzer. Theres also Tondar-2....

29 March 2001

Iran reveals latest 155mm self-propelled gun

CHRISTOPHER F FOSS JDW Land Forces Editor
Abu Dhabi

Iran has achieved another important milestone in becoming self-sufficient in defence production with the fielding of at least two new full-tracked self-propelled artillery systems, the 122mm Thunder 1 and the 155mm Thunder 2.

Recently released photographs of Thunder 2 show that it has a similar layout to the United Defense M109A1 155mm/39-cal self-propelled howitzer. Before the fall of the Shah of Iran in 1979, the USA supplied 440 M109/M109A1s to Iran.

The 155mm/39-cal ordnance of the Thunder 2 is manufactured by the Hadid facility of the Iranian Defence Industries Organisation. The establishment also builds a wide range of other tank and artillery barrels as well as towed artillery systems, rocket launchers and ground-based mortar systems.

In appearance, the Thunder 2 ordnance, which has the local designation of the 155mm Cannon HM44, looks identical to that of the 155mm/39-cal M185 ordnance used in the M09A1.

It is fitted with a double baffle muzzle brake, fume extractor, screw breech mechanism, hydro-pneumatic recuperator and a hydraulic recoil brake.

When firing a standard 155mm high-explosive projectile a maximum range of 18.1km can be achieved with a top stated rate of fire of 4rds/min. Weapon elevation is from -3º to +75º. When ready to fire the vehicle lowers two spades, one on each side of the hull rear, to give a more stable firing platform.

Although the general layout of the Thunder 2 is similar to the M109A1 it does feature a new turret and chassis. The former has hatches in the sides and two roof hatches with a 12.7mm M2 machine gun mounted on the cupola installed on the right side of the turret roof. The indirect fire sight is located under an armoured hood on the left of the turret roof.

The Thunder 2 chassis is a new design: the driver sits at the front left with the power pack on the right. Suspension is probably of the torsion bar type with six dual rubber-tyred road wheels each side.

The drive sprocket is at the front and the idler is at the rear. The are also return rollers and the upper track is covered by a rubber skirt.

The road wheels of the Thunder 2 appear to be from the Russian T-72 main battle tank that has been manufactured under licence in Iran for some years. In the rear of the hull is a large door for ammunition resupply purposes.

The Hadid facility also makes a wide range of other barrels for armoured fighting vehicle and artillery applications including the 122mm barrel for the Thunder 1 (HM51) and the 125mm barrel for the T-72 series (HM50).

The first detailed photograph of the Iranian 155mm Thunder 2 self-propelled artillery
system deployed in the firing position showing the two spades deployed at the rear.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
holy mackeral...now that does remind me of an old M109/A1. Spiffier paintjob than the ones I rode, though. Nice pic.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Those Iranian SPAs are reworked Russians right? Akatsiya and Gvodzika? nice looking modifications though.

FINNISH 155 K 98

Caliber: 155mm
Range: 40km
Rate of fire: 6shots/min
Weight: 13 500 kg
Weight of ammunition: 43kg
Equipied with assitant engines, positioning system and camoflaque system.
Maximum speed with integral engines: 15km/h
Maximum speed when towed 80km/h
Built and designed in Finland by Patria Vammas

Thermal targeting system

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Nice pics.

Man, it's been thirty years and so much has changed...

Is that a collimeter or an aiming circle?

It also looks like they have some kind of loading trays with rounds aboard, standing on end which is something I don't recall from the old days.

I'm curious as to what type of loading tray could keep those rounds up like that.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I see the South Africa’s G6 155mm howitzer mentioned. Their Armscor leaped ahead in technology back in the 1980's, and has done it again in the 2000's.
I remember how amazed people were at South Africa developing this gun system. Very advanced for the time.

www.janes.com...

The Denel company of South Africa - formerly known as Armscor - was producing G6 and G5 guns with a 39km range when NATO armies were still equipped with weapons that could only reach between 18 and 30km. European and US manufacturers have fought hard to make up the gap, but now South Africa has taken another giant leap forward, using new ammunition and a long barrel development dubbed the G6-52.

www.globalsecurity.org...

I know the idea of a 6 or 8 wheeled artillery piece is a bit odd, but it suits the terrain in South African areas well. A 33km to 67km range of shot without enhanced rounds is quite a bit.

external image

An earlier model gun, the GHN-45 towed, dominated the Iran-Iraq conflict, for both sides, with it's greater range. Even though it's towed, it has 4 wheels, and an APU power that lets it roll at 16km/h.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by ZPE StarPilot]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
The pictures of the shells in the magazine storage area..the shells are blue in colour. Is this a special lubricant coating on them such as a molykote base. I think it is sometimes called Moly. Or is this just to identify the type of shell it is??? ...

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
from the look of the pic - the shells are painted blue as part of the germans colour coding [...]

now having said that - i am confused are all nato 155mm shells supposed to be all system compatible ? so colour coding should be std ?

As ignorant ape correctly says, this is simple paint. Light blue paint is a widely used colour for practice (not dummy) rounds in Germany (as well as many other armies including the US military).
- The first code on the shell says "155H" for : 155mm Geschoss (shell), Haubitze (Howitzer)
- The second code says "ÜB" for : Übungsgeschoss (practice shell)

I cant read the following designations, so either it is a DM 58 HE shell simulator or a DM 608/618A1 bomblet shell simulator. Both simulate the impact effects of the real shells via relatively safe pyrotechnical effects - apart from the explosion sound of the first shell, which is less loud than the original boom for less disturbance of environment and citizens - I reckon you only find such limitations in Germany

Regarding the colour code: I dont know if the NATO treaties go so far as to set rules for coding of shells. What I do know that there still are regional differences in ammunition, and in articular the Germans (again) often prefer higher-than-standard powered ammunition - at least I know this of firearms. The PzH2000 also requires precision-made ammuntion to achieve its highest performance and incredible rate of fire (Rheinmetall builds the shells as well as the gun) - so maybe these would not be compatible to use in other NATO standard 155mm artillery guns because of different ballistics and hence they didnt bother to comply to any colour code rules.

Heres a pic of the most basic HE shells on board, the DM 21, and a (not very exciting) video of a public presentation.

[edit on 29/10/2005 by Lonestar24]

new topics

top topics

join