Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Back To Basics: The ATS Skunk Works Forum!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
More like when a reptilian thread is brought up in the Skunk Works, any replies such as 'lunatic; reptilians don't exist and shapshifting is immpossible' would be off-topic replies that we'll be discouraging.

What if I do it in a constructive way?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

you've been listening to my Skeptic Overview podcasts (if not... why not?)

because I dont have or want an Ipod...I'm kinda anti-apple...but thats a whole nother story.

I'm not a fan of this...It almost sounds like your promoting the "crazies" out there...I think we have enough of them.

I think we have to many conspiracy forums, and the result of it is more and more people believe in every crazy theory out there...and its warps there mind away from reality.

just my 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We've said many times that you don't need an Ipod to listen to the podcasts, Murcielago...

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Murcielago,

I think the point is to enter as "a crazy" and exit better informed about your insanity. Maybe...

alls I know for sure is the icon is perfect! what a crackup!

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
We've said many times that you don't need an Ipod to listen to the podcasts, Murcielago...

I guess you learn something everyday...looks like i'll have to look into it then...thanks.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I look forward to the evolution of this new board. It looks like a good way to find truth from imagination.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

However, what is the line that will be drawn and when does constructive criticism become debunking?

I have always considered "debunking" simply as exposing something as "bunk", or being bogus.

If this is the case, just about any comments i make (e.g., "do you have any evidence at all for this?") could be construed by some as 'debunking' because I may not have prefaced my comments with something to ensure that no feelings are hurt!

This is a good thing for people who are concerned about negative comments; if the forum goes as I expect, it will be difficult indeed for a "debunker" to come on here and try to expose something he considers "bunk" ... as bunk. And constraining "debunkers" in this way is pretty much the same as constraining some of the more 'exotic' assertions in a forum or thread where they'll be rigorously and thoroughly questioned.

There's nothing at all wrong with that; some people need a forum where they can post their assertions without them being subject to sharp scrutiny.

I certainly won't post here, nor will I bother to visit this thread again, because I like the freedom of interchange that is in the rest of the threads, the place where "deny ignroance" is actually a way of life and not a slogan. It is this approach which makes ATS into the excellent site it is.

I am hopeful that if conspiracy theorists are serious about their assertions, they will be willing to post them in a place where they can rise or fall on their own merits, and not be in an "incubator" where negative comments are discouraged.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
because I dont have or want an Ipod...I'm kinda anti-apple...but thats a whole nother story.

(Odd thing to be against)

"Podcast" became the default name because iPods tend to be about 70% of all the portable MP3 players out here. But podcasts are just plain old MP3 files attached to plain old RSS feeds.

You can browse direct-links to all the MP3's in the PODcast feeds here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or, you can also see the posts and replies, as well as direct links to the MP3's here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My two podcasts discussing this idea are these:
www.podtrac.com...
www.podtrac.com...
(from this page: www.abovetopsecret.com...)

After an informative survey of new users, and discussion among longer-term members, this emerged as an idea most were very enthusiastic about. I was hesitant to had yet another forum, but it also didn't "feel right" to impose a more gentle approach to "debunking" in our regular forums either.

And besides, Simon said.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My nose is bleeding, it must be the acorn sound wave generators that cause hemorrhages in my brain! AHH! I've revealed them and I'm getting punished!

In other news, This board is going to be a lot of fun, you know, dwelling on the unlikely and the far fetched. Can we have "SkunkCasts"?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Conspiracies "For The Rest Of Us"

I like the concept behind this forum despite the fact that I am a major fan of skepticism as a tool for denying ignorance.

But even as a professed and practicing skeptic, I have no shortage of "wild theories" and hypotheses I can't prove. This is especially true in the case of paranormal studies and how they may relate to "real world" events.

There is much I haven't posted to ATS because it's just too weird to "make the cut". That may be a good thing or a bad thing, but we can't know unless we can see for ourselves.

So I very much intend to contribute to and watch this new forum and see where it may lead.

I imagine there will be some teething pains as members adjust to the new forum and its unique concept, but I think we may well find that this new forum has the potential to give us some of the most thought-provoking and memorable threads yet.

Or not. We'll see.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

you've been listening to my Skeptic Overview podcasts (if not... why not?)

because I dont have or want an Ipod.

You don't need an Ipod. The Ipod is just a particular brand of MP3 player. Infact, you don't even need a physical mp3 player at all, just something on your computer that can play mp3s, like Windows Media Player or Winamp

I think we have to many conspiracy forums,

This is a conspiracy board.

How about we let you be the mascot
Just don't change the avatar.

Off_the_street
just about any comments i make (e.g., "do you have any evidence at all for this?") could be construed by some as 'debunking'

This sort of thing would be fine, so long as its not followed by, say 'no, i didn't think so, you damnable fool. Get an education. You idea is completely worthless'.

Consider chemtrails. Lets say someone posts 'The government modifies passenger jets to emit a cloud of vapour that contains a chemical that makes people more docile'. Rather than saying "There is no evidence for this", a similar request for evidence would best be made by saying something like "I'm not sure that such a chemical can be effective if its so widely dispursed and at such low concetrations, have you seen any evidence that suggests it would be", and the like. Keep in mind why its being made to see how it'll be operating; there is a desire to get back to the old school days when some really great, albeit whacky, theories were out there, being proposed and being discussed, not shot down by automated debunking death rays.

Also, think of it like this, 'debunking' is different from critical analysis. Debunking is, or at least in so far as its different from critical analysis, is actively trying to support the standard theory over the conspiracy theory. Whereas true critical analysis and logical consideration is, of course, completely open-minded, but not ignorantly so, and thus is still capable of rejecting ideas while thoughtfully entertaining them.

Can we have "SkunkCasts"?

I'd think that we already do, no? We don't have pod types for each forum.

[edit on 10/28/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I figured Skunk would be different, as its so removed from the normal board idea, but whatever, just an idea

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalapadea
Sounds like the place where TC and I can continue our discussion of Squirrels why squirrels are really running things....

Ya' know... I think I'm going to like this place:

Anywho...

As a "newbie" (btw, when do you cease being a "newbie"?), who is not
comfortable with being "adopted", it's nice to know there will be a place
where potential "visionaries" will be welcomed and encouraged. Yep! I
think ahm gonna like it here! You guys are too awesome for words!

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I'm not a fan of this...It almost sounds like your promoting the "crazies" out there...I think we have enough of them.

I think we have to many conspiracy forums,

Do you realize ATS is a conspiracy site?

I think this is a great idea. It gives a place for the "crazies" to congregate.

But seriously, there are plenty of ideas out there that need to be able to be discussed purely as "gut feeling", if only for the purpose of having them speculated on. Who knows what may turn up?

There are some fascinating minds on ATS and I look forward to seeing them play in this environment.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
thats got me beat how my reply went onto a diff thread...
oh well

The Skunk works is great ..a good idea and I think it will be popular

Thanks Management

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Oops sorry I went off topic

its such a fascinating subject and many twists and turns are part of the same story...

my apologies

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It is about time!

That I replied that is, been keeping an eye onthis forum wondering when it would open. For a little while there I was considering posting in it when it first appeared. But not being sure of it's exact use, figured it would be better to wait till the ribbon was cut.

I have something to add, about those who live above...
At the moment the source of this information, can not be reveiled due to chances of being caught. The deaths are a form of sacrifice, the only reason they seem hesitant is because of last minute thoughts. But they follow through because they have seen it work. It is said their god, promises 1,000 virgins and unlimited acorns.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
THANK YOU!

No, really, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
This is gonna be a great place because I've always wanted to have a place to let my imagination run free metaphorically speaking of course

Thanks people

Neutrino

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WalksThroughTime

Originally posted by Kalapadea
Sounds like the place where TC and I can continue our discussion of Squirrels why squirrels are really running things....

Ya' know... I think I'm going to like this place:

Anywho...

As a "newbie" (btw, when do you cease being a "newbie"?), who is not
comfortable with being "adopted", it's nice to know there will be a place
where potential "visionaries" will be welcomed and encouraged. Yep! I
think ahm gonna like it here! You guys are too awesome for words!

Oh My God

Squirrels Pop Up Again

Maybe I was wrong it is the squirrels not the chickens

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join