It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help? Power Generation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Hi,

I'm looking for some people to help me see if a power generation technique would work.

I will explain a little in what I hope to achieve.

I hope to design and possibly build a small scale power generation machine which can produce enough electricity to power my linux box. This is only a beginning project, though if I can make such a device to power the computer it might be possible to setup multiple machines for power generation.

I have looked on google with no avail to finding what I'm looking for. I'm really hoping someone here on ATS will know of such a device and wether or not it would work.

Ok here goes,

Imagine for a moment you have a platform which is roughly 6ft tall and has 4 springs on the bottom of the platform. On each side of the platform there are 4 rows of teeth these teeth make direct contact with small cogs that turn larger cogs which is then connected to a shaft that turns multiple electromagnetic generators (motors).

So now in theory when pressure or load is applied to the top, power is generated.

The easiest solution I have found for applying weight on the top of the platform is to fill and empty a large water tank. So as the tank is filling, it puts weight on the platform and produces power. Now simply empty the water out of the tank and because of the springs on the bottom of the platform it (in theory) should rise and generate more power.

If you are interested in trying this out at all then by all means do but please post your results in this thread. Thanks.

Remember, all your help is highly appreciated.

~Peace
~

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
In order for this system to generate a significant amount of current (enough to run a 200W PC powersupply) it would a) need to be extremely large or b) fill and empty the tank at a very fast rate.

Either way, it's more efficient to have the running water turn the generator directly by rotor or other means. I think that even with the reciprocating action of the springs, you're still wasting energy, and increasing entropy.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You mean a bit like a dyno torch but than not manual genarated but water generated?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by vampguard
You mean a bit like a dyno torch but than not manual genarated but water generated?

en.wikipedia.org...

Yep, its a very, very similar design just on a larger scale?

Is it possible on a larger scale?

~Peace
~

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Sorry to tell you this but what you suggest isnt possible. Well it is possible but to get energy you have to expel energy. You would have to find something to pump water into the tank and out which would take energy. Pretty much what your suggesting would be easier accomplished by a small hydro generator. If you want free energy like that you might want to think about solar power, wind power or a thermal heat sink. Depending on where you live and if its a city or country setting there are different solutions for what you might need. Let me know and i can suggest a few things.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
What apperatus in this device will dispell the water to then refill it without causing a significant change in the output of electricity?

If you want to be really creative...

This might work manually if you could install this device under a sidewalk where people walk on all day or some other walk path. As they hit the top of the device they will generate power for the gears to run. You would have to install some sort of inhibitor device so they the person does not sink down to the point to where it becomes unsafe to walk on.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thanks for all your responses so far. Much apprieciated

North Rider,

Nothing is impossible :p

So what your saying is that even on a much larger scale this device simply would not work or just that the power out would be trivial at best?

I was thinking about a hydro generator but the problem is I don't live anywhere near a canal/river/stream etc. I have also thought about solar power but I don't think I get enough sun for it.

Well wind power, thats what got me thinking, see a couple days ago I posted a news report from the BBC saying that a london resident has built a wind turbine which can produce 600kw a year, which I know is quite trivial on a large scale and well its not alot even for 1 house because I think the average london home uses about 90mw per hour. So 600kw is quite trivial so I was having a think about how to generate power in all weather conditions, so if no sun you can still get power and with no wind it is still possible to generate power. Though it is looking quite bleek at the moment.

I did find this rather handy link though. Free Energy

Just out of curiosity could you not use different gears and ratios in my idea above?

Im from Oxford, UK. Hope this helps?

~Peace
~

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well the average house uses about 600 to 1000 kw hours a month so 600 is like paying for one months power bill. you can get a wind turbine that you can put up yourself for about 700 CAD. It would still take a while to recoup your costs of the wind turbine thou. I was actually looking at this myself but i live in a city enviorment and there really isnt to much i can do for free energy.

Even if you build one your self its still around the same price for copper wire, parts, motors, inverters and what not. so to get a kit would be the cheapest way actually even thou you might think tha tif you build it yourself it will be cheaper.. its not really.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
There are lots of online wind turbine projects, some that walk you through step by step, that would be cheaper and more practical than what you're describing. If you want to get creative, even a weird solar generator would be cheaper. Battery storage isn't as expensive as it used to be, nor are inverters.

It's possible, but it'd take a lot of water. Something would have to get that water up there too, what are you thinking, rain falloff? You'd better have a huge roof and live in Seattle if that's what you're thinking. Nevertheless if you're interested in finding out how much energy you could use it's easy physics. Force = mass x accelleration. Gravity pulls at 9.8 m/s^2. Once you know how much water you have in kilograms, figure out the distance you want it to go and how long you want it to take to get there. You'll have the force in Newtons which you can then multiply by the distance to get Joules which you can then convert to watts which you can then multiply by .75 to account for energy losses in friction and conversion to electricity. Hopefully you already know some physics.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Unless you can produce a constant (non changing) power suppy I believe you will do some good damage to the pc.

Just a note.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
What can be a good idea is to build a laptop battery charger that is powered by solar or wind energy. If you than buy some extra batteries and charge them when conditions are optimal you should be able to get pretty far.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by vampguard

en.wikipedia.org...

Or you could rig it to a piece of roofing tin and as the wind blows the metal around it would depress your gearplate lever for your dyno. Nothing like a little southern engineering.

Originally posted by Frosty

This might work manually if you could install this device under a sidewalk where people walk on all day or some other walk path. As they hit the top of the device they will generate power for the gears to run. You would have to install some sort of inhibitor device so they the person does not sink down to the point to where it becomes unsafe to walk on.

Cool idea, if you live in a metro area why not upgrade larger like a road or freeway. As far as unsafe to work on put a hump in the middle kinda like a spring board.

Keep em' comming!!

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Something similar.....

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
hey guys I have been trying to come up with a design using the wind turbine ideas, could it be possible to "duct" the air back to the blades so when there is not enough wind blowing you could use this to create the "wind" necessary to turn the blades?

I have been looking at the current blade technologies available, seems like they don't need much of a gust to get them going. But back to my idea, you could put a squirrel cage inside the windmill, run some air duct back to the blades and then use the power generated off the blades turning to power up the motor, via some batteries.

Now I am in no way an expert in this matter, but to me it seems like this will work. I am currently trying to make somewhat of a drawing to detail better what i am talking about. Once I finish I can post it if anyone is interested.

I look forward to your comments/ideas!

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You could maybe rig something like that together to generate voltage, using advice others have posted. My concern is how effectively you could regulate it. The DC conversion circuitry inside a computer power supply needs 110-120 VAC at a 60 Hz frequency ( Not sure about current) to function properly. If you connected an unregulated source of AC to it, the best thing you could hope for would be a blown power supply.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DustintheWind
hey guys I have been trying to come up with a design using the wind turbine ideas, could it be possible to "duct" the air back to the blades so when there is not enough wind blowing you could use this to create the "wind" necessary to turn the blades?

If you make a large multi-piece cone .... connect it via hinges to an outer ring controlled by springs so that if the wind does blow you don't overspeed your gen.

With this you could use a smaller (better quality) blade because with proper setting on your springs you wouldn't have to shut it down in gale force winds.

[edit on 25-12-2005 by doorbell]

join