It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth Helicopter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
A New Zealand company is developing a stealth Unmanned VTOL, with capabilities unmatched by any helo out there.

TGR Helicorp...is a name that could become much more known through out the world in the years to come.

The Fire Scout is the military's UAV VTOL, and while its pretty impressive...this thing appears to have it beat on all categories.
Its called the Snark mk III, and the company in 2006 plans on unveiling a civilian version...which would be great for border security...since they expect it to cost a staggeringly low 5 million, and 2 military versions, the land snark (army) , and sea snark (navy).

A good article on it.
The Snark

The manufacturer.
TGR Helicorp LTD

heres some impressive statments:

the article
the Snark is light and fast (280 km/h), quiet (special rotor blades make it extremely quiet ), virtually invisible to radar or infrared detetection (it recycles its exhaust gases and emits little heat) and can carry a payload of 680kg, offering the ability to pack both massive firepower (enough to sink a ship) and surveillance equipment (such as high res infrared cameras with a magnification of 7500). But wait, there’s more, and this is the clincher. The Snark is the first UAV that runs on diesel fuel, which means it can be easily integrated into any military force – current UAVs require their own special fuel supply to be transported with them whereas the entire US Army plans to run on a single one fuel - diesel. Last and probably most importantly, the Snark can stay airborne for 24 hours at a time, offering an unprecedented loiter time for a machine of this capability.

The Snark is designed to recycles its exhaust gases and consequently emits very little heat, making targeting the Snark with a heat-seeking missile very difficult. The company is enhancing this stealth aspect with specially developed rotor blades to reduce noise. “The Snark can’t be heard more than 250 yards away,”

we think we can probably get the range up to 30 hours with the payload extended to 2000lb.

“We have fitted 24 missiles, eight defence missiles that we build ourselves and it can fit two Sidewinders too. We’ve even hung a Maverick under it too. It has the potential to be seriously nasty.

Heres the Northrop Grummans Fire Scout...Which is probably its closest competitor.

and heres the New Stealth UAV VTOL Snark.

It almost sounds to good to be true, how often do you here all these words talking about the same thing: cheap price, 30 hour endurance, runs on deisel fuel, all aspects of stealth: meaning radar, heat, & acoustics.

So, what do ya think of her?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It certainly look's good and It's intresting it has the ability to carry a few troops Im not sure I'd personally want to be one of them with no pilot though

If it's as advertised on the site I think we will prob be seeing more of it and possibly some similar designs cropping up elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
If it's as advertised on the site I think we will prob be seeing more of it and possibly some similar designs cropping up elsewhere.

I'd agree...escpecially with the extremely low price tag.

Since I doubt my dream of electrified fences w/ razor wire on top, and thousands of landmines on the US/Mex border will become reality...this looks like a good way to find the illegals. and the military needs something cheap...they keep on thinking they can afford dozens of billion dollar+ programs.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Since I doubt my dream of electrified fences w/ razor wire on top, and thousands of landmines on the US/Mex border...this looks like a good way to find the illegals. and the military needs something cheap...they keep on thinking they can afford dozens of billion dollar+ programs.

You guys can also use to stop the flow of illigal guns for drugs trade between the US/Canada border as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

sardion2000
You guys can also use to stop the flow of illigal guns for drugs trade between the US/Canada border as well.

heres a thought...Maybe Canada could actually do something!

I know, I know...its to "out there" for Canada.

As for the US/Canada border, I would take a different approach...I wouldn't put any landmines...but I would have security be VERY tight, so that way terrorist cant just fly to canada and then rent a car and drive to the US to blow some # up.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well, a low prise tag is always good, the chopepr does look pretty small tough, so is it meant to do recon...? IN that case I'd rather chose a UAV...

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Well, a low prise tag is always good, the chopepr does look pretty small tough, so is it meant to do recon...? IN that case I'd rather chose a UAV...

It seems the role would be much like the Predator...armed recon.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh I thought this thread was about Comanche, sorry.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

sardion2000

heres a thought...Maybe Canada could actually do something!

I know, I know...its to "out there" for Canada.

As for the US/Canada border, I would take a different approach...I wouldn't put any landmines...but I would have security be VERY tight, so that way terrorist cant just fly to canada and then rent a car and drive to the US to blow some # up.

Thats great man. i like freedom of speach and shuch but just tone it down. I havent dissed any country on these forums and i dont want to either but when people play ruff i will too.

"The CBSA has increased its total inventory of available Contraband Detection Equipment from $12 million in 2001 to over $70 million in 2004. This new technology includes 120 X-Ray and Gamma-Ray technology for scanning cargo and baggage, and 118 units using Ion Mobility Spectrometry (IMS) technology for the detection of narcotics and explosive"
-link www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca...

Canada is doing plenty. I agree new tech is awesome and that this helo would offer more potential for further boarder patrols. But guess what i think that keeping a tightly run but close knit ship would be best. A outlook like yours Murcielago is not getting any one anywhere. and guess what if and i say if a terrorist is in can and makes it to the boarder its not just a Can responablity. If the US knows about this person the information as im under the impression now shoudl be shared and it would even come close to happening.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Canada_EH]

[edit on 28-10-2005 by Canada_EH]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Youll be surprised what those Kiwis are capable of.

Propably replace Skyhawks.... LOL

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
[

They should use somthing like the orca off C&C these days

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Seems a bit of a contradiction going for a 'stealth' body and then hanging externally mouned weapons and non-retractable landing gear (the skids) which would negate the benefits of the 'stealth' shape.

I wonder if they plan a 'stripped' version with retractable skids/landing gear for recon

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Reminds me of the A160 Hummingbird Warrior. It was made in 1998- 2002 I think by Frontier Systems Inc. which was bought by Boeing in 2004

The A-160 Hummingbird, a vertical take-off-and-landing UAV, has been designed to fly up to 2,500 plus nautical miles with 30 to 40 hour endurance. Its modular payload design can carry up to 1,000

It will provide reconnaissance, surveillance, target acquisition, communication relay, precision re-supply, sensor delivery and eventually precision attack capabilities

I seen this thing fly on TV its very very quiet it does not make a helicopter sounding noise at all. I think they might have used tech first developed on the Comanche for its Stealth mode.

link

link

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think they might have used tech first developed on the Comanche for its Stealth mode.

The humming bird is not (radar) stealth.
and I dont think it is going to carry any weapons...although that may change in the future.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think they might have used tech first developed on the Comanche for its Stealth mode.

The humming bird is not (radar) stealth.
and I dont think it is going to carry any weapons...although that may change in the future.

I was talking about the Comanches audio stealth mode. The Comanche had a switch that would drop the RPMs down but still allow it to fly they called it (stealth mode). This and the shape of the blades helped cut down alot on noise.

The A160 does seem to be created with stealth in mind though. No external land gear and no external weapon mounts both of which tend to bad for stealth. I doubt Frontier Systems Inc had access to information on how to make current gen stealth but I bet its new owners Boeing does.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
didnt the US government cancel the commanche program???

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by b2spirit
didnt the US government cancel the commanche program???

Yes

top topics

join