It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citizens of nation states must be world citizens in era of globalization says Koffi Annan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Are you happy to live in a soverign country where you know that at least your own laws apply to you, and that you have no fear of foreign interests changing those rules to suit the needs and interests of others from other countries?

I am sad to say, you are going to be loosing a lot of happiness....

12 September � With the forces of globalization on the rise and the interdependence of the world's peoples growing, citizens of the nation states must also act as global citizens with a major role accruing to the United Nations in the effort to reach truly multilateral decisions, Secretary-General Kofi Annan said today.

"The challenge for us is to manage our interdependence in ways that bring people in rather than shutting them out," Mr. Annan told a ceremony marking the First Annual Interdependence Day held in Philadelphia, site of the United States Declaration of Independence in 1776.

www.un.org...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have had no respect for national boundaries as anything sacred for quite some time, and a sense of national identity is totally unimportant to me.

But that's just me.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The unrepentant kiwi???

Besides, your points are climbing and climbing... you are on my tail very much.....

I sense a multinational conspiracy here...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
1. I am not a Kiwi, never have been.

2. Your tail is already a-cookin'.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
1. I am not a Kiwi, never have been.

See! An agent of globalization already supporting the destruction of national boundaries!

2. Your tail is already a-cookin'.

Just remember who breathes fire...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I have had no respect for national boundaries as anything sacred for quite some time, and a sense of national identity is totally unimportant to me.

But that's just me.

Absoloutley agree, If they want free trade then they should also have a free imigration policy. We are world citizens.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Don't you even think about coming to the States! There's enough illegals here!

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I AGREE with the Colonel!!!! Keep YOUR KIWI ASS outts TEXAS! Don't come here looking for a free house, meals and a car!

Mostly 'cause we gave them all away already!

Peace...
m...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Methinks Colonel may have been referring to the noble (and nomadic) inquisitor.

I, however, am in and out of Texas on an infrequent basis, preferring more civilized parts of the New World including the west coast, from whence I hail, somewhat.

The psychedelic scene of Austin in the 60s was a much more significant and impactful contributor to "globalized" world music than is ever credited, though.

Dallas, as in the Larry Hagman version, didn't do as much for world culture in my book.

Truly, it is better to be a citizen/minstrel of the world, than to be fixated on fences.

Albert Einsten: "If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim me as a German and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German and Germany will declare that I am a Jew."

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Related to NWO and its progress:

I take it that none of the "old timers" think the NWO will fail? Could be juicy debate material.

I guess the NWO would always fail in the sense that empires alway fail, at some point or another. The question is how fast. Would they be able to maintain the inital hold and smoothly slide past the transition period (some say they already have)?

I guess a lot of it comes down to centralization of miltary and economic power. We've certainly seen that. Some times I think there is a NWO but it's not doing a particularly good job. Other times I figure I'm just not looking high enough.

You can consolidate power so very high up but it may lose contact with the peons below. Meaning, big cheese is disconnected from reality. When they make a move many people get mad and their worst nightmare comes true. Popular revolt. I guess that's where HAARP comes in. I guess the disconnect is a reconnect when you can fry minds at will

Any thoughts on the stability of the coming NWO? I have this idea that blocking microwaves isn't that hard. I should do some research and put up or shut up.
www.noradcorp.com...
and
educate-yourself.org...

edit- this is getting more HAARPish but,

"There are two things you can do. First, you can learn to better cope with these signals. The more you are in control of your own mind and emotions, and the more observant you are about your own behavior, the less influence these signals have upon your thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Knowing is half the battle. Second, you can take additional steps to reduce the level of EM radiation in your home, by blocking these signals."

and

"Standard methods of blocking microwave mind programming signals consist of Faraday cages and aluminum foil hats. But Faraday cages are difficult and expensive to build. Aluminum foil hats actually increase one's signal exposure unless they are grounded, and as long as one's skin does not touch the foil."

from the second link

[Edited on 17-9-2003 by ktprktpr]

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   
There can be little doubt that regionalization and globalization will continue at pace, because the world is a global technologically advancing village, regardless of what puppet might be in charge of what superpower's administration. What drives those trends is the service of commercial and sometimes apolitical goals.

Progress towards one world government as apparently being sprouted by the U.N. is an interesting issue.

Because on the one hand, there is the PNAC neo-con agenda which infiltrated the US government in the late 1990s, stole an election, capitalized on the worst mainland US terrorist attack in history, and started invading sovereign nations predicated on a pack of lies. This is one variant of a NWO, as the term applied to what Bush Sr said during his one term in office.

And the Bush PNAC neo-con agenda is to attempt to align nations by saying "You are either with us or against us". The "with us" part of the equation has been less than overwhelming, because Bush is a statesman is a complete idiot and the whole administration is ostensibly corrupt, stinking more and more each day.

On the other hand there is "Them" as in the "Them" part of U.S. and Them as coined satirically in the Onion article the other day. There, there is no NWO, but some principles, which if applied fully, might create a world of evolutionary and not revolutionary making.

It is interesting to view those Declarations of the U.N. which might be deemed to be offensive to any sovereign nation. (There are none.) What causes offense, tensions and hostility (over these issues only) is the refusal to come to the table, the non-adherence to them, and the self-serving greed and capriciousness of idiots that causes nations to move to other tables for other discussions and private bounties.

Anyway, there are diplomats who could say any of this better than me.

[Edited on 17-9-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
If we had a free imigration policy throughout the world, in a globalised world, it in one way would be self regulated as in a rich country taking advantage of the poor the poor would be able to move to the rich. There by it would be of an incentive to create better conditions in the poor country instead of using them as cheap labour.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 12:03 AM
link   
If a unified world meant global utopia, then I would have no problem with it. Whatever the NWO has planned, it will be nothing of the sort.

I think the facts of this reality are that at least in humanity, people are different and should not be unified globally. There is just no way to allow for such a thing in this world in its current state without creating more death, destruction, and general chaos.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 12:05 AM
link   
How about the issue I mentioned in the initial post?

Sovereignty, autonomy, self government.

A sovereign state is one that determines its own rights, laws, and functions without interference from outside governments.

In such a globalized society these attributes mean nothing. That also means that the rights that are guaranteed to each citizen by thier respective constitutions no longer mean anything.

More to the point, it means that laws enacted on the other side of the planet, by people who have never set foot in your country, now hold control over you, and indeed, you never even voted for the law, or for these other foreigners to have control over you.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Unfiltered and unexpurgated, this is the sentiment expressed (linked to at the site that quotes it, in dragonrider's article).

I can't see anything grating in it.....

Press Release
SG/SM/8871
OBV/370

CHALLENGE FOR ALL IS TO MANAGE INTERDEPENDENCE IN WAYS THAT �BRING PEOPLE IN, RATHER THAN SHUTTING THEM OUT�, SECRETARY-GENERAL SAYS

Following is the message by Secretary-General Kofi Annan for the first annual Interdependence Day, Philadelphia, delivered today by Edward Mortimer, Director of Communications:

The Declaration of Independence in Philadelphia in 1776 was part of a process, spread over many centuries and many lands, through which the world�s peoples achieved self-government in independent States. That epoch continues into our own day. It was only last year, after all, that the people of Timor-Leste achieved full national sovereignty and joined the United Nations.

Nevertheless, a new era is upon us. In future, the map of the world may not change so much, but the world will be transformed in other ways �- by the forces of globalization, and the growing interdependence of the world�s peoples.

In the era of independence, peoples have achieved and practised self-government within the framework of nation States. That framework is still very important, and will remain so even in the new era of interdependence. But the more interdependent we become, the more decisions have to be taken, not by one nation State alone, but by many, acting together. Unless it is properly managed, this process can entail a �democratic deficit�, as decision-makers are further removed from, and less accountable to, the people whose lives are affected.

So the challenge for all of us is to manage our interdependence in ways that bring people in, rather than shutting them out. Citizens need to think and act globally, so as to influence global decisions. And that means that the United Nations, in order to play its part, must live up to the first words of its Charter, �WE THE PEOPLES�.

I know it is in that spirit that you have gathered today in Philadelphia, to declare your interdependence. I am sorry I cannot be with you in person, but I congratulate you, and wish you every success.

I am interested in inquisitor's free movement between borders policy though, and free travel to whatever place I call home at any time, for all criminals, terrorists, subversives and other undesirables, does cause me some challenge.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Hmmm I see dragonrider's point a little more clearly now. Annan is correct that inter-depedence needs to be maintained to, well, bind a nations peoples, not the nation leader's themselves. Now seeing how many people complain about how their own country is managed, it is doubtful the a NWO would be statisfactory to its peoples.

I think the "only hope" is to universalize technology in a free and distributed system (i.e., not US patents). Technology is the only "power" that can spread easilly and "counter act" political, miltary and social-economic power. I think it is imoportant to offer a potential rememdy when dealing with conspiracy theories or notions because otherwise there is little involved thought (other than connecting dots) or, if you'll excuse me, actual denying of ignorance beyond exposing it.

ps - my english has gotten worse and worse. I do not know why this is. I think I am thinking faster (and getting lazy in constructing english sentences) and aplogoize for the seeming inchorance.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Next they will want us all to inter-breed thus fulfilling the goals of the alien invaders.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The only thing I'm interested in is the Spelunkers that do it deep and in strange positions....

sorry. You had it there , right next to your post. and I couldn't resist.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Related to NWO and its progress:

I take it that none of the "old timers" think the NWO will fail? Could be juicy debate material.

I guess the NWO would always fail in the sense that empires alway fail, at some point or another. The question is how fast.

Excellent point there friend. At the same time...seeing how powerful the both are, and neither is giving an inch, and you know what happens when two strong animals go at it and do not stop? Yep. Both of them. And then the world will have to take a breather, huh?

Hey ktprktpr, I almost never have the volume up on my monitor...can they, have they created something ON the screen itself, like say dancing molecules
that make certain notes and tones through a physical action that your brain picks up as the sound it represents???

[Edited on 9/17/2003 by SamaraMorgueAnn]

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

Sovereignty, autonomy, self government.

A sovereign state is one that determines its own rights, laws, and functions without interference from outside governments.

To lose these things is to lose your country, your identity and your freedom. I am an American, I will always be an american, and no one will ever tell me differant. Long Live the United States of America!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join