It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keystroke Loggers Installed On All New Laptop Computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Devices capture everything you ever type, then can send it via your ethernet card to the Dept. of Homeland Security without your knowledge, consent or a search warrant each time you log onto the internet!
Freedom Of Information Act Requests For Explanation From DHS, refused.

I was opening up my almost brand new laptop, to replace a broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard connection underneath a piece of metal protecting the motherboard.

I figured "No Big Deal", and continued with the dissasembly. But when I got the metal panels off, I saw a small white heatshink-wrapped package. Being ever-curious, I sliced the heatshrink open. I found a little circuit board inside.

Continued....

You would think that devices like this would be openly discussed in the online computer tech world, but I had not heard a single word about anything like this.

Although there is Tiny and simple loggers that plug into the USB ports, and simple software loggers this hardwired one connects to both the keyboard, and the ethernet card implying that there is no way to defeat it short of rewiring the system.

Big Brother is moving into your puter without ever telling you.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
It's been covered and found to be inaccurate if not an outright lie from a racist "Turner" website hell bent on advancing their "white power" cause.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Actualy, I'm 100% sure the original story wasn't from that Turner site.

It was original posted on an ISP homepage of someone. I had a link of it which I tossed after the page was taken offline. The story has been on the net for quite some time already

What I can say with a degree of certainty is that it is more then likely a hoax.

For it to work the vendors would not only need to cooperate with each and every ISP out there, they'd also have to be hidding it darn well.

I've been a Dell tech and still know the entire Belgian Dell repairs crew and none of these devices have been found over here.

Most of the laptop repairs for Dell done here in belgium are laptops that were bought all over the world and malfunction often because they are used by traveling diplomats and other traveling professions.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Good point Bud as I only assume it was an original report from "turner" as it didn't credit anyone else in the article.

The supposedly real images of the "key logger" that's being installed by the Government in new Laptops were taken from a legitimate company selling hardware key loggers. The story is bunk.

KeyGhost Security Keyboard

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Quite, I would assume that there would be too many complications in software with respect to sending the data to it's destination. Without knowing the configuration of the network and being able to adapt to it I can't see how it would work. If that's an incorrect statement in some way please point it out but I think I understand correctly.

If anything like that was to be done I would assume that it would be more practical to integrate it within the operating system if anything. That's assuming it hasn't been done already... heh..

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Quite, I would assume that there would be too many complications in software with respect to sending the data to it's destination. Without knowing the configuration of the network and being able to adapt to it I can't see how it would work. If that's an incorrect statement in some way please point it out but I think I understand correctly.

If anything like that was to be done I would assume that it would be more practical to integrate it within the operating system if anything. That's assuming it hasn't been done already... heh..

OS integration would be far more difficult with Linux becasue of all the versions, and paranoid networking experts that use it would find the anomalous data transmissions.

The best place to hide something like this would be integrated into the motherboard chipsets.
I did doubt the article, and assumed this would be a good place to test it by fire.

Since it appears to not be new, and no others have verified finding the device its likely a hoax, but an interesting one....

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The device said to have been found in that laptop doesn't need to be software compatible.
It intercepts signals directly from the keyboard bus and the output is hardwired to the NIC's outport(not the nic itself). Like this bypassing the NIC and sending data all by itself.

For this data to posibly reach its destination, all ISPs in the world would need to alow traffic from these IP's to be sent from inside their network.

The first step for an ISP to secure its network and counter IP hijacks and IP conflicts is to only alow native IP's to be client's on the internal network.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The original story is bogus.

Why would anyone bother to put that in a laptop, when they can easily capture what you're typing simply by packet-sniffing? And they don't have to do it for laptops only; they can do it for any machine connected to any network.

And the author of the original story don't know beans about computer hardware, either.

top topics

join