It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frivolous Suits Could Cost Lawyers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
What a perfectly wonderful idea!

Lawyers could lose their licenses for a year for repeatedly filing frivolous lawsuits under a bill headed for passage in the House as part of the Republicans' drive to crack down on what they consider costly abuses of the legal system.

Frivolous Suits Could Cost Lawyers

Although I am fairly certain that this is just a move to protect big buissnesses, this could help everyone in the long run as well as rid ourselves of the pandemic numbers of ambulance chasers that are so prevelant today!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I was kind of surprised to read the proposed leglislation a couple of days ago. The various barrister associations have a relatively strong voice in Washington and they really don't like this idea. Personally, I think its great.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yes, they also need to look at medical liability which is and will kill the industry. I spend almost as much time doing required papaerwork as I do actually providing the care in a 12 hour shift :shk: and alot of that is dictated by risk management.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think is a wonderful idea as well. I also think they need to dissuade people from seeking lawyers for frivolous suites as well. Right now they only have to pay the law firm if they win, maybe require law firms to charge a preset fee regardless of outcome after the trial.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
From my post HERE

And if anyone reads the link, yeah I know I contradicted myself *a bit* but I was royally P***ed off and tired when I made it. I'm actually not that confusing when my life is *normal* which it was not when I wrote that hehe

(check-almost) *Make people who file frivolous lawsuits AND thier lawyers have to pay the person/people they sued 50% of whatever they sued for. Regardless of if it gets thrown out before going to a jury or not.

*Make it mandatory to be smarter than a box of rocks to BE a juror. No I don't mean educated, I mean actual brain function and logic skills. I swear most juries today need to be in a nursing home because they are brain dead. Make em take an EEG or something

Yay, at least one of my nefarious plans to inject intelligence and sense back into America may come to fruition /swoons

Lil

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think that a "looser pays" system would work better. If you file a lawsuit, and it's either thrown out or you loose the case in court, you should be made to pay the fees incurred by the other party. I think that this would stop the needless lawsuits that are brought by those trying to make a quick buck, and, oh yeah, make the loosing attorney responsible for 50% of the costs.

new topics

top topics

join