It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wife sends her Hubby off to war on terror and in return gets fired.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yahoo News

CALEDONIA, Mich. - A woman who took an unpaid leave of absence from work to see her husband off to war with an Indiana National Guard unit has been fired after failing to show up for her part-time receptionist job the day following his departure.

"It was a shock," said Suzette Boler, a 40-year-old mother of three and grandmother of three. "I was hurt. I felt abandoned by people I thought cared for me. I sat down on the floor and cried for probably two hours."

Officials at her former workplace, Benefit Management Administrators Inc., a Caledonia employee-benefits company, confirmed that Boler was dismissed when she didn't report to work the day after she said goodbye to her husband of 22 years.

"We gave her sufficient time to get back to work," Clark Galloway, vice president of operations for Benefit Management, told The Grand Rapids Press for a story Wednesday.

dat pretty much sucks right there. and no doubt rude and cruel to a woman in dis world where economic conditions are not very good. have to respect her for she may never see her husband again ever and her employer is like i really dont give a dam, get back to work. wonder how the employer would feel if he or she was to send off their husband or wife to war and need time to recover from all the crying or solace. unless they dont care about their husband or wife.

need help on my link. i hate it wen somthing like dis happens.

Mod Edit: Fixed Link

[edit on 27-10-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I agree with her employer. They did give her sufficient time off. What's the big deal?

Get back to work and stop feeling sorry for yourself lady. You're certainly not the only one.

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Usually there is always more to the story in cases likes this. However......
from a purely PR point-of-view, this has to be, on somebody's part, what we refer to as a "CLM".......career limiting move.

Bad stuff, man......baaaad stuff.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I bet a million dollars she wasn’t a model employee, if a good one at all. I bet she was a terrible employee who had attendance issues.

Fact: Great, over achievers don’t get fired for coming back a day late...

This is just another story that interests can twist to advance an agenda.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
She obviously had a bad attendance record, and was maybe a bit lapse with the time keeping issue of getting to work on time.

An employer will not sack/fire you because you have taken time off to see your husband go to War. There has to be some underlying story with this one.

I admit, it makes great headlines, but when you try and see both sides of an argument, you often end up finding some of the truth.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I am willing to bet that she has a bad attendance record, not a good employee and not sufficient at her part time job. Plus not showing up tells me that she did not call and was a "no" show.

I highly doubt that if she would have called and said she needed one more day I am sure they would have given it to her.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Oh I don't know, my mother took a little over 2 weeks off her job of 13 years when my dad was in the hospital dying of alzhiemers and a stroke. Then she herself ended up in the hospital for 9 days. When she got her yearly evaluation the principal at the school she worked at(retired now several years later) gave her not only a very bad review but verbally reprimanded her for missing that much work *for no good reason*

OK so having your spouse of 43 years die a HORRIBLE death over a 7 day period, then ending up in the hospital herself for 9 days *is no good reason*. It's yet another example of our societys decline in humanity. And before anyone asks YES the principal knew the entire situation.

He had alzhiemers for nearly 5 years before this and she was told of the stroke. And no she did not miss work a lot before because *I* gave up working and took care of my dad while she worked because she had benefits and got paid more than me so it made sense for us. We really couldn't lose her insurance for them because my dad was so sick and would only get sicker.

*BEAM ME UP SCOTTY PLEASE!!!*

So from my own experiences and of those close to me, I could believe people acting like this easily. If someone my Mom had had as a boss and gotten along really well with for 13 years, and never a negative review, could do that why not this scenario? heh

Lil

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Yahoo News
"It was a shock," said Suzette Boler, a 40-year-old mother of three and grandmother of three.

She is 40 has has three grandkids? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Mainer]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You find it sad that a women gets fired for not showing up at work, but you support the death of thousands in an illegal war?
You pro war guys are a trip, and you accuse us anti-war guys of using the unfortunate victims to fruther the cause (e.g. Cindy Sheehan).
Obviously you don't really care about the troops, just your own selfs

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
here is a link with a video of her on the local news.just scroll down a little bit.

she worked 10 minutes from ware I live.

video.woodtv.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Questions that should be asked:

-Was she highly paid? One of the top reasons to sack someone these days.
- Was she prone to doing the right thing instead of the corporate thing? Depending on the business climate - and in MI Grand Rapids is known for being a bastion of business first, people last - this is a reason to be gotten rid of.
- Was she a bad performer? Perhaps.

The truth is that business is in bad shape in MI. Companies are failing. The economy is in a major downturn due to the outsourcing of everything. It is a mess and ompanies are looking for any reason to thin out their rolls and send all their work overseas to get paid 1/8th of what an American would make.

Fair Trade - Not Free Trade.

Pax.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilroanie
OK so having your spouse of 43 years die a HORRIBLE death over a 7 day period, then ending up in the hospital herself for 9 days *is no good reason*. It's yet another example of our societys decline in humanity. And before anyone asks YES the principal knew the entire situation.

It all depends on what kind of company you work for. We just had 250 layoffs at my job and global security got the ax big time. Even though I am on employed there for 3 years, they decided to let someone go in my place since I am in the National Guard and getting ready to deploy soon.

So it all depends, some companies do not really care, which is unfortunate.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Erm, so the issue here is about the lady's attitude right?

It has nothing to do with sending the husband away.

I say good for her. If time was given specifically and she ignored it anyways then it is obvious she will be fired.

By the way, misleading topic thread you have there.

new topics

top topics

join