It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the main purpose of living?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I could in deed write a "book" in explaining the truth of truths but I will leave it with this simple statement:

In order to see one must open his eyes, in order for one to live he must die.

In order escape duality one must experience duality first.

These answers can be found within anyone all you have to do is look. If you look deeper you may in deed be surprised. Beyond doubt and faith is truth.

Originally posted by wein
i place the tread here because this not wat people normally talk about and is more of a paranormal discussion compared to daily talks if u understand wat i mean below

ever wonder why everyone is here ? ok i have this short example of the 'life' most ppl are facing now , first u get an education then a job then u work for money to live , and wat do u live for ??? , some said to enjoy but
are we really enjoying with a stress and worries , to me we live to suffer
and enjoy , if it is its kinda pointless also , because in the end its like all just a illusion . so i thought of another reason tat is to share ones emotion with others , enjoy and suffer life , to help anothers to bring life to the fullest , but get to think of it wats the purpose of doing all this ? seriously do we just live to enjoy , suffer , expirence , share emotions , find love and fainlly to die ?

wat i want to know if any has a point of view about the TRUE purpose of living or why we are here ?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

then wat happen to those who comited sucide? or should i say quit the game halfway and walk away

It seems to me your question is less about the purpose of life and more about seeking spiritual answers, from which you presume purpose will flow?

Since you can not know that purpose until you determine the truth about spiritual matters, it seems to me that in the interim, your purpose is to seek that truth.

If that doesn't work, you could always go on a quest for the Holy Grail.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

wat i want to know if any has a point of view about the TRUE purpose of living or why we are here ?

Intentionality, more to the point .... Developing our intentionality.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I agree with this guy! Just remember the tower of babel is in your dome...

Originally posted by spamandham

then wat happen to those who comited sucide? or should i say quit the game halfway and walk away

It seems to me your question is less about the purpose of life and more about seeking spiritual answers, from which you presume purpose will flow?

Since you can not know that purpose until you determine the truth about spiritual matters, it seems to me that in the interim, your purpose is to seek that truth.

If that doesn't work, you could always go on a quest for the Holy Grail.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
spamandham

eh sry but i dont really understand wat u mean , as in i have to ask myself my purpose? would u mind further elaborating more?

[edit on 29-10-2005 by wein]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

ever wonder why everyone is here ?

Ecclesiastes13-14
13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
[14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

www.gotquestions.org...

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

spamandham

eh sry but i dont really understand wat u mean , as in i have to ask myself my purpose? would u mind further elaborating more?

[edit on 29-10-2005 by wein]

By the nature of the questions you have been asking, it seems that you think the purpose of life is somehow defined by the spiritual realm. If I'm right about that, then to discover the purpose of life you would have to determine what the truth is about the spiritual realm in order to discover the purpose it holds.

I don't see that it is possible to discover the truth of the spiritual realm, so if that's where purpose is defined, you can never discover it. That being the case, you are stuck determining your own purpose regardless of whether there is some greater purpose, since you will not be able to determine what that greater purpose is even if it exists.

Many will tell you they have insight into the spiritual realm. Some will say something about reincarnation, others will talk about heaven and hell, or becoming one with the universe, etc. What can they possibly know that you don't know? They have books and traditions that in the final analysis amount to nothing at all. Are you satisfied accepting what is very likely a lie as your purpose?

What are we to do then? First, quit thinking that life only has value if it has purpose. If you can't do that, then define your own purpose. Feel free to change it later if you choose.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

By the nature of the questions you have been asking, it seems that you think the purpose of life is somehow defined by the spiritual realm. If I'm right about that, then to discover the purpose of life you would have to determine what the truth is about the spiritual realm in order to discover the purpose it holds.

You used the word, if, in your answer, indicating that there is the possibility that you could be wrong. There is a spiritual side that man has to have changed in order to find meaning and purpose. That change comes when Jesus Christ becomes Savior and Lord of an individual. There is no "if" when Christ comes.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
the purpose maybe defined by the spiritual realm , it may also not be ,and i am not thinking tat my answers can only be found by the spiritual realm, my tread was shifted here , i post it at the paranormal section at first , because i do not feel tat god or spiritual is the only answer

secondly i am not thining that life only has value if it has purpose ,cause if it is so then i can know the purpose if i feel tat i have a value in life which is not so

i feel tat there are people who have seen or know the above of the above( it does not have to be above it can be the inside of the inside) or the boxes outside the box , tats does not only mean spiritual , cause i believe wat lies outside the ouside does not only have one answer

[edit on 30-10-2005 by wein]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I don't see that it is possible to discover the truth of the spiritual realm, so if that's where purpose is defined, you can never discover it. That being the case, you are stuck determining your own purpose regardless of whether there is some greater purpose, since you will not be able to determine what that greater purpose is even if it exists.

Many will tell you they have insight into the spiritual realm. Some will say something about reincarnation, others will talk about heaven and hell, or becoming one with the universe, etc. What can they possibly know that you don't know? They have books and traditions that in the final analysis amount to nothing at all. Are you satisfied accepting what is very likely a lie as your purpose?

What are we to do then? First, quit thinking that life only has value if it has purpose. If you can't do that, then define your own purpose. Feel free to change it later if you choose.

The purpose of a life?

as a human-being is being human? Mabye becoming fully human, with a human being an equal of God, or being God. Living the experience and experience the living, the Life, and the world as a human or in or as a human body.
I guess also building up a society, worthfull for our being humans to experience. Learning to experience and experience the learning, of the Life, and experiencing the Life, in a society as we made it for us.

And since we ate apples (mushrooms?, since eating apples doesn't give one very much insight, to me it doesn't..), learning from it what is right and wrong, and learning what experiencing is.

what does one need when one has life except for other ones, so there may be togetherness?

The purpose of life? Since it allready exists, is existing I guess.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
You used the word, if, in your answer, indicating that there is the possibility that you could be wrong. There is a spiritual side that man has to have changed in order to find meaning and purpose. That change comes when Jesus Christ becomes Savior and Lord of an individual. There is no "if" when Christ comes.

Until it can at be demonstrated that there is any truth whatsoever in your Christ myth, the word "if" is appropriate. Note that I could claim to know by faith that there is no god just as easily as you can claim to know by faith that there is. Faith is worthless in that regard.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Until it can at be demonstrated that there is any truth whatsoever in your Christ myth, the word "if" is appropriate. Note that I could claim to know by faith that there is no god just as easily as you can claim to know by faith that there is. Faith is worthless in that regard.

You will notice I don't use the word, if, when I talk of Christ because I know what I believe and why. As a christian I am asked to believe in God, who I can't see right now but someday will, so you are correct faith is required of us by God at the present. Right, we will always be at odds over the reality of Jesus, until the day that you believe also.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You will notice I don't use the word, if, when I talk of Christ because I know what I believe and why.

Congratulations?

When you go out of your way to correct me for graciously using the word "if" in reference to your fantasy world, it only encourages me to be less hospitable in the future. I really could care less how fervently you believe what you believe.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

You will notice I don't use the word, if, when I talk of Christ because I know what I believe and why.

When you go out of your way to correct me for graciously using the word "if" in reference to your fantasy world, it only encourages me to be less hospitable in the future. I really could care less how fervently you believe what you believe.

My point is many people want to find truth, and that can only be found in Jesus Christ. My intent was not to put you down. My intention is to make known that questions do have answers, and the truth can be known. So for those who seek answers, it is possible to begin to understand this side of heaven.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

My point is many people want to find truth, and that can only be found in Jesus Christ.

I understand that you think you know the truth. You need to understand that those who are not already Christians do not accept what you say about Jesus as true. If they did, they would be Christians as well.

Even if you are unwilling to accept the possibility that your beliefs are false, it poses no challenge to those beliefs to recognize that others see them as false.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

[

I understand that you think you know the truth. You need to understand that those who are not already Christians do not accept what you say about Jesus as true. If they did, they would be Christians as well.

Exactly, I certainly understand this. When I answer a question I will be answering based on what I know about being a christian myself, and from what I know from reading and studying what the Bible says, concerning God and creation. So if you don't believe the answers I give that is fine, but I'm still going to give them. Each one who reads must decide for themself.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Perhaps the meaning of life is:

1) To extend your will upon the whole of the world. (Because you know best).
2) Make no attempt to make yourself an extention of the will of others, unless it includes benefits for you.
3) Belittle people who believe in anything, or prioritize in a way that does
not parallel your own beliefs.(ie, call their perception a "fantasy world")

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

You claim to hold the truth. This necessarily implies my beliefs are false as they are inconsistent with yours. You indict my beliefs when you claim yours to be true. It's just not as direct as my indcitment of your beliefs. I prefer the direct approach of simply saying flat out you live in a fantasy world rather than to say as much by insinuation.

Note that this is not a belittlement of you, it's a belittlement of your beliefs.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You claim to hold the truth. This necessarily implies my beliefs are false as they are inconsistent with yours.

So, through claiming to accept/believe in anything as true I either inadvertently or purposefully imply your beliefs are false?

You indict my beliefs when you claim yours to be true.

Oh, I guess so.

It's just not as direct as my indcitment of your beliefs. I prefer the direct approach of simply saying flat out you live in a fantasy world rather than to say as much by insinuation.

Note that this is not a belittlement of you, it's a belittlement of your beliefs.

A belittlement of my beliefs?

What is it you are belittling?

What is it I believe in?

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

So, through claiming to accept/believe in anything as true I either inadvertently or purposefully imply your beliefs are false?

You can answer your own question simply be rereading what I wrote. It was only a single sentence, "This necessarily implies my beliefs are false as they are inconsistent with yours."

Did I claim that anything you claim as true implies my beliefs are false, or did I qualify it. Why are you attempting to build a straw man based on removing that qualification? Is that what Jesus would do?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join