It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is the main purpose of living?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
You are ultimately asking the question of all questions.... What I will say is, in time, you will answer this question on your own terms...

With that said, I want to throw an idea out there, it's an all encompassing idea and accommodates EVERY walk of life from "Mother Teresa" to "Joe the rapist"... I know, what the heck am I talking about...

Perhaps the sole answer is "we live to experience"....

I don’t subscribe to organized religion, but rather a sense of spirituality... God to me is "the oneness" the "point of singularity".

Have you heard the saying that GOD IS, WAS, AND WILL ALWAYS BE? Perhaps those simple words are quite telling. And that notion that "god is in all of us" or "we are all gods children"...

It may all be about experience. If god is everywhere and in everything, and possesses the infinite knowledge, well how did god get this knowledge? Perhaps through EXPERIENCE. Our experience. The good, the bad, the ugly, and of coarse the beautiful.

The saying "you don’t know unless you've walked in my shoes" .. well perhaps each and EVERYONE of our lives represent god walking in our shoes.

To be complete, one must experience the duality of life.. example, “good” can not be defined unless a balance is present, ie "bad".. to know good one must also define bad. Hence god is in everyone and everything... god has walked in the shoes of murderers, in the shoes of saints, god is the CEO of said corporation stealing in the name of greed, and god is the little old lady who stops and gives a homeless person a dollar..

Perhaps we were born in a chaotic world in which our job is to simply live our lives and bring back our life experience; good or bad, to the oneness we all came from. It's through our lives god is able to experience EVERYTHING!!! You can even say god is in the aliens (that may or may not exist- that’s another thread.)

Perhaps God, Oneness, is the sum of all parts (parts being us) and we are just trying to bring back our life’s experience and knowledge to which we came.

Or maybe I have no clue as to what I’m talking about…

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
yes it is tats why i post it in the paranormal section

so u mean we are god and god are us ?

ok i am sorry about commenting on u people's replies , i mean the first page people's views ,really sorry i do respect ur views and commands , sorry tat i offended u people by talking back , just realised tat i am the one asking and should be the one listerning , i wil have to comment if i have to , sorry if i offended anyone cause i feel tat this is a sensative question

eh saint4God i am sorry i cant u2u yet i still need 20 post or something mind asking in the main?

[edit on 27-10-2005 by wein]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by wein
eh saint4God i am sorry i cant u2u yet i still need 20 post or something mind asking in the main?

Sure, we can start here until you have 20 posts, though it's not on topic. I was interested in knowing about your background. How you grew up and came to believe the things that you do. If you don't mind sharing infront of all, I'd be interested. If you'd like to wait until you're able to send a U2U, that's fine too.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Sure, why not? The word "GOD" is a reletive term. Don't get hung up on the details and the idea that there is some deity that sits in an ivory tower and one day said, "i'm soooo bored, eh what the heaven, "let there be light"... ... "ok, i'm feel arrogant today so... WORSHIP me or fear this and that... here are a bunch of rules- FOLLOW them or PERISH!"

Where is the purpose in that? Thats humanity's ego trying to make sense of it all in a time and place where universal cosmic understanding was VERY limited... (remember - the world is flat???) All they had was the sun, moon, stars, if you were them, where would you look for answers?

Go look into psycology of humanity... ask your self what the psycology of civilsations in ancient times were. It's not so much WHAT did they believe as mush as WHY did they believe that.

Just stop and think about it ... and then think about it some more. Apply the notion that our "purpose" is soley to experience... and to pass on this compounding experience to the next generation and so-forth.

Yes, you are god, but in an "incomplete" form. You and I maybe just a piece of the bigger picture.. the ONENESS. Does it mean that you are as powerful as a "god" and are able to move mountains... well no. But it does mean you and I and him and her.. are yes, "cosmicly" small.. but we are NOT insignificant.

And THAT is the psycology behind why you are asking the question in the first place. Its simple. You and I (and the rest of humanity) dont want to think we are born without purpose. Our ID and EGO cant handle that very well. So we attempt to prove our self-worth. AND THEN GET LOST IN THE DETAILS- but thats ok.. its just another part of our collective experience.

Think simply.

Peace

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Serum39]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
no one can answer that question for you. You must find it yourself.

Read what others have written on the subject.
Many great minds have asked this same question you're in good company.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas
My main reason to live is to pray to God , Allah

in the Kuran is writen down that Allah created the Jin and Humans to pray to him.

Pray dont come in one forms but many. like learning, getting a living, feeding your childern.

There is one thing that i want to ask some people here, what have do you think will happen after you die? Do you think s there only going to be a pitch black of darkness forever ?

Why do all the suicide bombers think they will go to heavon, and the best bit, with 40 virgins?? whats that all about...

Ram

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Dying...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Instruction on receiving the free gift of eternal life. Send U2U for details.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
As soon as anyone asks why we are here, or what is the meaning of life, religion has to come into play.
Why?
Believe it or not, there are millions of people who don't have religion in the world, stuctured or otherwise. Why are they here? As pawns in the religious game of life?[/rant]

I say, I am here to contribute to the world. Everything I do, from posting here to kissing my children goodnight, to hanging up on a telemarketer, is feeding into society. From me, I affect you. You affect me. Everyone, and what they do, is part of my destiny. I am here to learn and to feed and to give back. I am here to nuture, to grieve, and to love as well as hate. Why have suffering? We must have a balance. There can never be good without evil. There cannot be luxury without poverty. I am not rich. But I am happy and fulfilled.
I am here against my will. Everyone is. What you do with your short time here, be it bad or good, will affect everyone, everywhere. It is up to you how you want to affect the world.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

wat i want to know if any has a point of view about the TRUE purpose of living or why we are here ?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Moved to Faith, Spirituality & Theological debate.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Life has no meaning...God was lonely and He created a monster that He quickly realized that He couldn't control. So, He tried to destroy it--but, save it--then finally to destroy it, slowly...

or as Will says..

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Macbeth act 5 scene 5

That's what saved me all the worrying/debating. I'ma horrible Christian.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Khali

tats wat i am talking about , wats the point of building the future when u do not know the point of living , just because life is beautiful? is it really beautiful yes in some ways but it have to be both beautiful and ugly to be called life

yea, and the ugly part being very ugly..

I guess now is the time we are more destroying the future, of this planet, instead of making it. I think instead being born to live life in this world, we are now born to learn how to live a life in the world we made, and how to operate in it. I find that quite controversal. Living this world and living [b[in this world, we made for ourselves, hm maybe with ourselves being our 'egos' instead of ourselves, the God in us. Probably by some kind of losing touch with the God in us, the world inside of us, we started living for ourselves in the world outside of us. Just some thoughts.

The outside world and the system in it, now made by money-sick people, who care for their own life in their egos, and who buy things and play games to feel 'good' about themselves, is pulling us outside of ourselves.

I once read, God made our body with 5 senses, on the outside..

and with this system, or the made world we live in now, mostly stimulating these outside senses, me may easily lose track of the one(s?) inside. Untill it hurted our hearts so much, we start looking into ourselves.

it's like we have a system-world in this world(planet), satisfying the mind, instead of the heart.

choose life,.. which one??

offcourse this system can be good for one, but when you start to know the big chiefs behind the system and the games they play, being funded from it, this system looks shamefull, and right now, it's getting a bit out of hand in my opinion. An acceleration of it, which will end in the total collapse of it, or the total domination of it. Retreating out of it, unless living in a cave, or in selfsufficient communes, or in forests leaves you still affected by it. maybe this might be the beast out of the earth, which wants a grasp on you, and makes you live in it, and losing yourself in it, in temptations and greed, instead to live in and going up in God.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I found the meaning of life about 3 years ago. It was written on a paper lying around on the street.

Unfortunately I lost it, and I can't remember what it says.

It went something alone the lines of:

MOD EDIT: The meaning of life was so convincing that we had to take it off for the good of humanity.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Serum39, well said I am having a hard time adding anything to it without repeating what you have already said. You and I think very much alike.

Too many people cannot see past chasing the cheese, getting home and entertaining themselves so they can stop thinking about how bad life is just being a cheese chaser all the time. Some think there is this quick fix free salvation thingie going on, this makes it so they do not ask or think very deeply about the real quetions to life.

Find some books on meditation and astral projection. Learn to listen to the inner self and to visualize. All answers are within, it takes time and effort to unlock them. I have a long way to go, but I am at a point to where I see the there is a key to all of this and it is me. I am the key, I am the lock, I have to figure out how it fits all the doors.

Life will take you to many places, the only way to find the correct path is within yourself. You have already started in the right dirction by asking the most fundamental of all questions, but one that most do not think about. Keep asking, keep searching, keep thinking with a free and open mind, harm none and you will find the answers you seek.

It will take time.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
If you don't know what the purpose of life is, then it has none.

What makes you think there is any such purpose beyond what you yourself assign?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

Originally posted by eazy_mas
My main reason to live is to pray to God , Allah

in the Kuran is writen down that Allah created the Jin and Humans to pray to him.

Pray dont come in one forms but many. like learning, getting a living, feeding your childern.

There is one thing that i want to ask some people here, what have do you think will happen after you die? Do you think s there only going to be a pitch black of darkness forever ?

Why do all the suicide bombers think they will go to heavon, and the best bit, with 40 virgins?? whats that all about...

1. Stay in the Topic about Life/Death

2. Suicide bomber may go to heaven or hell it depend on the situation because sometime that is the only way to attack if you dont have a gun.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
eh i was wondering if this is a forbidden question (the main purpose of living) ? yesterday its as if god/spirits/angels/elements , not sure which 1 it is i just feel it ,told me tat this question is forbidden and should only be asked in the later years , eh is this question forbidden in a way , or in any of the religious books?

saint4God

(i am new here so if were to offend any religous or beliefs , i am sorry , thought it would better to be in paranormal )

i dont mind sharing a little of me over here as i am curious about ur answer
i am a 17year old kid , i am a indigo if u believe it or not tat maybe why i have develop all this thinkings ,living in a family of 5 , i am currently studying althought i feel tat the education systerm seemed to be on the flawed side , most ppl still dont see it yet , its a matter of time though ,there were many unexplained happenings tat have occured in life tat made me develop this kind of thoughts if u can read in the paranormal section i did post 2 of happenings , the thing is i believe in all gods , why ? , it is because to me gods are created by beliefs , if u believe tat theres this god then he will be there , if u never believe in god, god will never be there , i used to believe in god cause my parents were buddists however when i grew , my mom was unable to answer some of my questions , how did the questions came about i am not sure , then i started to doubt god , later i start to feel tat it seems tat gods are created by humans , the beliefs and becuase the beliefs are so strong that humans actually created a higher form of spirit or themselves , called god , people said gods live in the heavens ok for most people , for me i feel tat gods live in our souls minds hearts and bodies , tats if u were to believe in god , and i believe in the gods that people believe in .

about 'the program' it is rather hard to be explained , i am either a new data or a corrupted data .

i did wanna invent a new theory or something to help improv humanity or help the environment at first later on i was thinking was the point ? when i havent understand the purpose of living the purpose of why everyone is here wanting to contribute to the next genration , or it is true tat everything is programed , u see the dinosuars , they may have live to become fossil fuels for us ( tats just an example) , and we may have live to................... still seeking

Serum39
the reason why they did not look for answers because their genes may not have been tat evolved as ours now , its like comparing the cavemans and us , or watever inventors and the public (those who laugh) , also i feel tat its a matter of time when everything may be revealed , instead of getting lost in details . yes u do have ur point but i wanna da big picture nvm maybe i am asking for too much , for now .

Stevo_Devo
yes i did i did thought of it ,maybe its love , but i just need more answers from the others , as i thought there were other indigos or people who can give me answers on this forums

spamandham
i just dont see the big picture , i am asking becuase i see that the society is being foolish, and is having a lack in spiritual awareness , and i am a curious indigo kid , the people may not have asked this question , doesnt mean tat it will never be ask , i told my mom before the plane was created there is no plane , before maths was created there was no maths , and how did the people have the thoughts ?

eazy_mas
bout sucide bombing i feel tat why cant all just stop all this , humans have been fighting a pointless wars , i dont get it why do u want to kill? for revenge? or for beliefs wat if its all just an illusion, or show show tat u humans ARE FOOLISH ,everyone has their rights and wrongs , no body is perfect , humans are only perfect when united.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Purposes for life:

1). To get skills and amass as many experience points as possible, you that you can move up in levels and dominate the game.

um. no. how about

2). Life is a dream you are trapped in. Your objective is to find ways of "jolting" yourself into waking up. Kind of like in your sleeping dreams, where you wake up just as the monster corners you. You have to find some way of waking up from this waking dream.

3). Life is a game. It has no purpose other than that you should enjoy it and learn from it. It's like a big monopoly board, with winners and losers all around. Some people end up on park place or board walk, maybe because of luck. Others end up owning a slum-house on Baltic Ave and griping about it.
But eventually, the last day will come, and this game will be folded up and put away, like a vast monopoly board. Then "real" life will begin, and we won't even remember what it felt like to be a "winner" or a "loser" on earth.

4). It is a giant Rorshach test. Like with the inkblots. Depends on what you see in it. Basically, God wants to see what you will do on your own before he puts you in charge of whole legions of angels. It's like the boss going on vacation. He's left us some old cryptic "post-it" notes lying around.
He's been gone a long time now. Some of your coworkers claim he's never coming back, so we can call in sick or go have a 3 martini lunch. Others say the boss never really existed in the first place. Others have decided the company must be ripe for takeover, and they have begun serving the "anti-boss." But, just when everything has really gone to crap and no one is even showing up or even bothering to clock in, the Boss will be back. Sitting in the Big Leather Chair and handing out pinks slips, or promotions, depending. So go read those post-its he left in your cublicle, and do your best to do what you think the boss would want until he gets back.

5). Life is . . . a comedy for those who laugh, and a tragedy for those who think. (Voltaire???)

6). Life is like the movie "the Game," with Michael Douglas. It seems deadly serious, but the joke's on you.

7). The sufi say that you are a mirror, reflecting the face of God back to him for eternity. Your job is to remove all the soot and dirt on the mirror, the better to reflect God's light.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
so we are here to prepare ourselves for the next cycle? then wat happen to those who comited sucide? or should i say quit the game halfway and walk away

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

(i am new here so if were to offend any religous or beliefs , i am sorry , thought it would better to be in paranormal )

I am pretty new here, too, Wein, so please understand what I mean by this...I have never ever been chastised for what I believe in here at BTS/ATS. Be it God, Allah, or all spirits (I am part Seneca, btw), or even agnostic, please never apologize for what you believe in.
If you truly believe in something, it is YOURS. Never say "sorry" for what is true to your very soul.
Never.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join