It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
While they are kinda cool on their own, in the context of this site, any given page is covered by about 40% of users' Avatars/signatures, as they create a lot of "dead space." This creates unnecessary page scrolling, cluttered screens and takes away from the text to be read. I like this site, but it is very cluttered, even without Avatars/signatures.

"As the arguments flow back." "Avatars are cool." "They identify people."...

More times than not I bet people use usernames to identify, rather than Avatars.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I use avatars to identify..
Plus, this place would like heaps ugly without them.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Maybe you want to look like everyone else, but I don't.
Avatars are a form of self expression just like clothes or hair style.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
We now know avatars suck...
Personally, I like them too, but it's an acquired taste I rekon...

I also think they beat the heck out of ads running down both sides of the window.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Isn't there a low bandwidth mode in the ATS Store?

I thought that meant it would be the boards minus all the rich text and avatars/sigs.

jra

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Guy Kawasaki
More times than not I bet people use usernames to identify, rather than Avatars.

Well if they don't have an avatar, then yes, I read the username. But if I see a familier avatar, then I don't need to read the name now do I?

Plus avatars have a restricted size, so they don't add too much to the scrolling, nor clutter the screen or affect the text in any way. Not for me anyway.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I like most of them. I posted at one place that got a little out
of hand. There were a few who put up 'fantasy' women
for avatars ... that was tacky.

I like Kalapadea's avatar. FUNNY!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thanks, its one of those "tech jokes" that only about 1 in 5 people think are funny.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Call me shallow, but I tend to identify people by their avatar. Which is why I've stopped changing mine every three days. Without avatars I'd have to spend an entire extra couple second reading the username. Not much you may say, but after a couple pages it starts to add up. That and I naturally go and read the user titles for no apparent reason. I'm weird like that.

Either way I love my Venom avatar too much

I'm the board equivilent of the vain and shallow guy.

[edit on 10/27/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I like avatars. I find them entertaining and a good way to identify members.
Also, grey gets kind of boooooring.

I'm sure you're not the only one who dislikes them, but I am pretty sure you can eliminate them, go to the store and buy

Turn on low-bandwidth mode.
and you'll lose a lot of the stuff that makes ATS so nice.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guy Kawasaki

Do I sense Avatar envy?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I guess an available option if you don't like viewing the avatars and personalisation of the forums is not to log in.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Count me in as an avatar lover.

They are a great way to personalise the board, and to quickly scan a thread for people you want to read.

There are plenty of bland boards out there if you don't like them, I think they add personality to the board and the members posts.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
sounds to like some one has a P1 on dial up 28K or doesn't know how to do it

Edit to add I enjoy seeing all the different avatars some are very funny, some very talented and gives a supposed idea of the posters nature

heres one that reminds me of a certain member

this one makes me laugh

[edit on 27/10/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Count me in as an avatar lover.

I knew there was something strange about you!
Now we know!

I enjoy checking out the avatars myself

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
...and to quickly scan a thread for people you want to read.

Hey Guy, Netchicken's absolutely right. You know, I mean YOU KNOW, when you see the picture of DeNiro you're going to see quality.

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
I guess an available option if you don't like viewing the avatars and personalisation of the forums is not to log in.

Kawasaki, if you don't log in, you'll have ads but not avatars. Log in and you'll have avatars and not ads. Buy low-bandwidth mode and you'll have no ads and no avatars.

P.S., I never knew jra's name. I always thought of him as "the Avro Arrow guy."

Zip

[edit on 10/27/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
As an added bonus, you can go the ATS Store and Member Center and purchase the Low-Bandwidth mode. Then you never have to see them ever, ever again.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
You know, I mean YOU KNOW, when you see the picture of DeNiro you're going to see quality.

Peace

haha good point

I'm just a big fan of Kim Jung Il, did you know he shot 11 holes-in-one in his first try at golf!
now THAT'S quality!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Online, you have a personality. It may be exactly how you are normally, or totally different. But, your avatar is who you are here. There's no point, really, to avatars or signatures, but they're great perks. You can decorate precious little around here, it's nice to be able to make things look nice and add your own little flavor to the boards.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join