It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H5N1 in Michigan 3 years ago???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Read the text of the following article:

www.freep.com...

In summary, H5N1 was found in turkeys on a farm in Michigan in 2002. There were no further outbreaks, and neighboring farms were tested.
It is unknown how this "low grade" form of H5N1 was transmitted to the turkeys and there have been no known outbreaks since. Biologists in the area were told to keep an eye out for bird die-offs.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, no?

Any biology experts out there want to comment on what kind of ramifications this could have?

I wonder what Dr. Niman would have to say about this one.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well, it didn't even kill any of the turkey
So, it was H5N1, but not the same H5N1 we now see.
Odd how the birds eere even infected, unless viruses just crop up from time to time in the environment.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
thats freaky, thats a half our drive from me. thats to post I have read that happend almost in by back yard in 5 minutes.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I read a report that said H5N1 was found in turkeys here in 2001. ...A lot of H5N1 isn't killing the birds, even in Asia, but they're killing their flocks anyway. Maybe some birds have already developed immunities?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Now i'm paranoid.

I will not be eating any turkey come thanksgiving. I'm in Michigan, and perhaps the government feels the best way to control the population is through turkeys! Why not inject h5n1 into turkey's for consumer's to gobble on thanksgiving!
Oh god, now i gotta get a tofu turkey. Seriously, i'm not eating a turkey this year.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
.A lot of H5N1 isn't killing the birds, even in Asia, but they're killing their flocks anyway. Maybe some birds have already developed immunities?

So, in your opininon is that a good or a bad thing for the whole H5N1 thing?
Or is the mutations where we will run into trouble?

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Considering that most people reading this are probably from Michigan and I don't know yet if this is related to bird flu-

Did anybody hear about the boy who supposedly died in some walk-in clinic waiting room this weekend?

My sister's son is sick and when she told her babysitter she was staying home with him the lady told her to be careful because some little boy had a runny nose, his dad took him to the doctor and he died in the waiting room. I can't find any articles or anything about it, so I wondered if anybody else had heard of it.

She called me worried that there is bird flu going around and that we don't know about it, and said that they hadn't been able to do an autopsy yet so they don't know what it was but he was supposed to be a healthy child before that happened.

She said somewhere by Flint.

I just wanted to look up what went on and can't find anything.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Originally posted by soficrow
.A lot of H5N1 isn't killing the birds, even in Asia, but they're killing their flocks anyway. Maybe some birds have already developed immunities?

So, in your opininon is that a good or a bad thing for the whole H5N1 thing?
Or is the mutations where we will run into trouble?

Darned if I know.

Standard thinking (and history) says that virulent mutations evolve, and make diseases worse - or else, evolve to cause less virulent disease, where the host gets to live to support the disease, in a symbiotic parasitic kind of relationship.

My own thinking about what's happening has evolved from righteous anger and near-hysteria about a year ago to a kind of peaceful acceptance of nature's urge to harmony, now.

...Basically, I see the world as a complex system that communicates with itself, where individual components of the system interract. I agree with the theory that describes man and other living beings as 'superorganisms' that are composed of a collection of other organisms like bacteria, viruses, and various microbes. I don't think this is a bad thing. I see microbes as the mediators between the whole (eco)system's various parts, and the mechanism through which parts are able to interract and be part of the whole. So microbes are the eco-system's communications system, both messenger and message.

In this light, I see "disease" as the method by which we are brought back into balance, or harmony, with the larger system.

I remain PO'd that irresponsible contamination, pollution, and bio-experimentation has made this crisis of evolution necessary - but I can accept it.

At this point, I am most concerned that ill-conceived policy will call for killing off (euthanizing) sick people - instead of realizing that we are looking at essential steps in an evolutionary process. And we do not know which mutations, or "diseases," are going to bring us into balance with the world we have created.

...This viewpoint completely contradicts the old saw about "survival of the fittest" - a worldview that sees everything as being in competition with everything else. IMO - there is far more evidence to show that life seeks harmony through cooperation, symbiosis, and interdependence.

join