It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do Church Steeples Represent?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Been studying this a long time, and it is mentioned in a lot of esoteric reads I have done.
Many very intelligent, enlightened men have tried to keep this secret, but when you go to church next time, look at your churche's steeple.
This always seems to be important do church builders, but do you know why?
Because it is a milleniums old representation of a phallic symbol.

See this link and do your own research..
I think it will open some eyes and it is time this T-ruth is exposed..:wow

www.piney.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Actually-

Perhaps it means this.

The pagan association of the obelisk was something well understood by the church. The Jesuit scholar, Athanasius Kircher in his book Obeliscus Pamphilius, published in 1650, gives an account of the ancient views of the obelisk as the digitus solis, or "finger of the sun".

Pope Sixtus V (1585 - 1590) had the Egyptian obelisks erected all over Rome, as Counter-Reformation monuments.

or even this:

The Church Steeple represents the human nose (seen from the side-view), with a Cross atop it at its bridge- the Triveni or Prayag- confluence of the 3 subtle veins or inner rivers: Ida (Yamuna) to the left, Sushumna (Saraswati) to the middle and Pingala (Ganga) to the right i.e. at the Third or Single Eye.

But, of course, men will always argue about it.

All depends on your point of view.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
But, of course, men will always argue about it.

Yep, I understand the test-os-ter-ONE that rules, it just makes one look around at all the steeples, monuments, and skyscrapers that "could'
and do to me represent an erect phallus..
This in really inherent in the Dogon tribe in Africa--but they add breasts too to indicate the androgynous factor of all life..

I can empath this hormone in posters..LOL

Mod Edit: Fixed Quote.

[edit on 30/10/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
``

i thought the steeple
was just the result of putting a church bell at a real high place
so all the in-town and nearby country folks & farmers could hear the ringing of the bell, for to come gather for meeting.

then being utilitarian, the church bell doubled as a firebell or a warning alarm system.

in early(LittleHouseOnThePriaie or Mayberry) America, the local church was customarily the tallest structure of the town...
being the sunday-meeting/fire-alarm bell was to be rung there
and needed to be heard all across the countryside.
Additionally, a cross was customarily put on the roof of the belfry, as the cross was considered a part of the church steeple/spire/belfry thus making the height a 'memorable' number to the pastor & flock.

then modern America srung up....now a Bank Building is the tallest landmark in the typical town or city.
(note the change from obelisk icon to a monolith shape for local 'power' )

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Udio'

Thank you for those other uses, which were/are I guess still in use in small towns..
Columns have been used since Egyptian times, especially the Romans, and I realize it is a good building technique, but seems, even today, the higher something can go, it does..
I was wondering about the WTC..
Were they not some of the tallest column-like buildings anywhere?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The spire, or steeple, is just another form of tower which has been around for mellenia. SPires are found mostly in gothic architecture, and not just on Churches.

Any connection to Phallic symbols is purely coincidance

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The Encyclopedia Of Religion directly identifies the Greek god, Hermes, who was derived from the Egyptian god Hermes Trismegistus, with phallic worship and the obelisk. We also discover in this comprehensive work that Hermes was worshipped in the image of a quadrangular stone pillar:
"The phallic symbolism of ancient Greek religion is most extensive. The representation of Hermes offers a prime example…at Cyllene Hermes was worshipped by the name Phales-- derived from Phallos - and in the image of a phallic stone. More usually, however, his phallic image was a herm. Originally a stone heap--perhaps topped by a large upright stone--serving as a landmark in the countryside without roads, the herm developed into a quadrangular stone pillar topped by the head of Hermes and featuring at its front an erect phallus...." .

"There was a time when Asia, Europe, Africa, and America were covered with the temples sacred to the sun and the dragons. The priests assumed the names of their deities, and thus the tradition of these spread like a network all over the globe… And where is this source? Kircher places the origin of the Ophite and the heliolatrous worship, the shape of conical monuments and the obelisks, with the Egyptian Hermes Trismegistus …'But it is known …that this prince… received… the homages of his subjects under the shape of a serpent

indiaculture.net.

Seems the worship of the Lingam, penis goes way back farther than any coincidence by many cultures, religions..

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I suspect it is an ancient symbol of the Milky Way. In a clear night sky, it has the appearance of a column across the night sky.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
Been studying this a long time, and it is mentioned in a lot of esoteric reads I have done.
Many very intelligent, enlightened men have tried to keep this secret, but when you go to church next time, look at your churche's steeple.
This always seems to be important do church builders, but do you know why?
Because it is a milleniums old representation of a phallic symbol.

That was probably what it became however I think it was adapted from pagen religions and steeples were in fact lightening rods. Of course, back then something as impressive as lightening would have been thought to be 'the gods' so I wouldn't be surprised if worshipers tried to attract 'their' power.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
YOu know we can all sit here as armchair historians and look at the symbolisum and how it is similar to other sybmols used. But unless you know the intent of the builders and the thought process invovled it is pure speculation and theory without nothing more then assumption.

I look around at some of the churches in my area, and they dont have steeples.. tho they also tend ot be more contempary churches to. Unless you go to some of the older chruches, especially the Catholic ones which use a lot of Gothic Architecture you will be hard pressed to find actual steeples of any significant proportion. Most only use Steeples and spires to make it publically reconized as a place of worship.

Since my chruch has recently bought land and is in the process of planning a church, some of it's members have made thier desires know that they would like the church to have a steeple... just because they feel ALL chruches should have steeples, regardless of the symbology of pagen religions involved

Compared to steeples, obelisks are rather simple and plain, and are usually at ground level, and not ontop of roofs

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
YOu know we can all sit here as armchair historians and look at the symbolisum and how it is similar to other sybmols used. But unless you know the intent of the builders and the thought process invovled it is pure speculation and theory without nothing more then assumption.

You know what happens when we ass/u/me.
The intent is the hidden source of any/all of this premise.
The building and masonry involved is the very essence of most churches and concrete jungle citys in which there is very little sunlight which tells me volumes..
IMHO, I have gleaned so much from all my ancient studies from all civilizations, still leaves me to question why the obsession with tallest, most ornate being built regardless of how many poor people are displaced by the megaliths?

Mod Edit: Fixed Quote.

[edit on 30/10/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
IMHO, I have gleaned so much from all my ancient studies from all civilizations, still leaves me to question why the obsession with tallest, most ornate being built regardless of how many poor people are displaced by the megaliths?

Simple, it is easier to build up then down. And if evolution is true we are decended from aboreal creatures and find a sense of security being high up, rather then in a hole. Economically it is better since you can have more efficiant use of space by building up. And also the size of a building provides a sort of status symbol to those who reside in them.

And you are over-exaggerating the "poor people" that are displaced by such projects. it is common knowledge that as land becuase more valuble, and the population density increases the cost of living also increases. So the "poor people" should either move, or find another way of life instead of using the "I was here first" argument that has no bearing on simple enconomic progress.

I dont like living in tall buildings, or densly populated areas. Nor can I afford it. So I end up having to commute a bit longer to work.

SOmetimes a cigar is jsut a cigar, and a steeple is just a steeple

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
We are just beating a dead horse here..
let's say we need to agree that we disagree?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rouschkateer

Actually the steeple or bell tower goes further back in history. Churches evolved from space ship launch centers before humans were around. The steeple was the launch gantry for interstellar space craft. The space travelers were the ones that added the extra 25 genes to to the chimpanzee to create humans.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I've always suspected they (steeples) are a throw-back to the Irish towers, to earth and other energies.

That's how I choose to regard them

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The church steeple, being the tallest part of the building represents one thing and one thing only. Power over people.

As a side note, here's a great illustration of notable tall buildings of the world.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
peneses peneses peeneses.

They represent peenes POWERRRRR!!!!! The mighty weenis has so much power that it can be cut off with a kitchen knife while the powerful man sleeps.

A church steeple , just cut it off with a knife and the church can't cheat on you ever again. Unless they sew it back on and the bell still rings.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by siriuslyone

I thought your webpage was a hoax page at first, andthen I realized that you believed this stuff. I'm sorry...

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
From what I've read about masons (not the secret society) building churches was good work, and building a cathedral was a once in a career dream.

So mason who built churches, well any building really, wanted to build the biggest and best there had been. The tower, or spire, was the pinnacle of their trade. Building was very primitive and tower building required special skill. So if you could build a tall tower, or spire, your future income was guaranteed.

Why churches? Because the church had the money to build. Why a tower? They wanted people in the town to see the church from everywhere in town. It was also a symbol of reaching up to God, the taller the spire the more 'blessed' the church was.

But it was the masons who pushed the idea of tall spires, not the church itself. It was just capitalism working to convince the consumer (churches) that they needed more than they did.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by siriuslyone

This is another example of pagan practices Rome kept after they made Christianity the state religion. Saturnalia became Christmas and Astoreth poles/steeples became architecture for God's house. The blending of sacred rituals made Christianity easier to digest by the populous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join