It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can domestic Cats spread the bird flu to human?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I was wondering can we get the bird flu from cats that have been infected by the bird flu?

Specially domestic cats, and if that happen are we in more risk of infection?

Any news if bird flu are infecting domestic cats?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I haven't heard of domestic cats getting it, but it wouldn't be too far of a leap considering what it did to the BIG cats in Thailand.
See the following link:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Sorry marg - but yes cats can get bird flu. Many animals can. One of the reasons bird flu is so bad is that it does bounce back and forth between people and animals - also one of the reasons quarantine is not likely to work. ...I have several links, posted in different places on the board. Will see if I can find them.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by informatu
I haven't heard of domestic cats getting it, but it wouldn't be too far of a leap considering what it did to the BIG cats in Thailand.

Yes, Tigers got killed by the bird flu after they had been fed with bird flu chickens. Bird Flu Killed 147 Thai Tigers - Update

Cats could get it if they eat birds with bird flu, but I don´t think they can spread the bird flu to humans so easily. If you have a cat running outdoors (so he/she can eat wild birds) and if he/she also have a litter box at your home, just make sure you wash your hands after cleaning it and you´ll be fine. You might want to cover your mouth/nose with a mask (whatever they call it) so you don´t inhale dust from the litterbox when you´re cleaning it...

[edit on 2005/10/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yes I read about the wild cats been infected, but taking in consideration that cats falls in the category of mammals could this can make it easier to be transmitted to other mammals as domestic cats and then humans?

My daughter tried to explain to me how it could happen but I am not in her field so my understanding is limited but she said that it will become another strain of it, she said that every time the bird flu comes from the bird and infect an animal that is not of the bird family it becomes a new strain, when the animal can then infect another animal of the same family and not from the bird, kind of confusing.

Is not like mutations but more like variations.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Can humans get Bird Flu from eating infected chickens?
Does anyone know if some of our poultry is imported from other countries?
I look at the lables that says "from so and so place in the united states.

[edit on 27-10-2005 by MagicaRose]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
If a cat ate an infected bird, that cat can then be infected by the virus.

If the infected cat then bit a person, the saliva on the teeth of the cat can transmit the virus to that person.

The same can be said of the claws.

From what I have read about H5N1 so far, the virus can stay active for an extended period of time in exposure to air.

Good question, marg...Hellmutts advice applies as well, since the virus can exist in all bodily secretions of the infected bird or animal.

Best thing to do is keep pets well fed and 'bell' them so that they don't get a chance at a kill.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the information, because as you know we humans tend to treat our pets like part of the family and more often than not will have them even sleeping with us.

I do not have cats but the neighborhood is full of them also I have three dogs and one of them loves to chase baby birds in the spring and just eat them.

I had caught her with birds in her mouth still flapping. So I wonder if cats can get the bird flu then dogs that are mammals also will be at risk.

It's very troublesome.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
Can humans get Bird Flu from eating infected chickens?

Yes, if you eat them raw. If cooked properly you won´t get infected that way. I don´t think the virus can be transmitted from cat to human if the cat bite or scratch you, but I´m not an expert so I can´t be 100% sure about this. However, you might get infected if you inhale "dust" from bird poo. After some time the bird poo gets pulverized, and that kind of "dust" should not be "inhaled". Usually that is the danger for people working with birds. You can still feed ducks and swans without worry, but avoid their poo and don´t eat them raw (who would eat raw birds anyway?...
)...

What is a concern is if pigs get infected. They could make human virus and bird flu merge or mutate, I have heard...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I would think birdbaths and outdoor water for Fido would be at risk.
H5N1 is viable in water, I believe, and birds poo in water all the time.

Anyone else think poo would contaminate Fido's watr dish?
Assuming of course that our local bird populations start dropping dead

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Anyone else think poo would contaminate Fido's watr dish?
Assuming of course that our local bird populations start dropping dead

Yes. Absolutely. And FYI - H5N1 bird flu has been in the USA since 2001, in turkeys at least. A non-virulent form. Not sure what that means regarding exposure - maybe it's mutating, maybe we're developing immunities?

top topics

join