It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are the A.'.A.'. ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well I’ve been floating around for a while here now but I rarely post stuff, I been researching secret societies and ritual magic for a few years now and I’m trying to work out a group known as A.'.A.'.

heres a site members.ozemail.com.au...

also seen on this page-
members.ozemail.com.au... to have connection to "Order Templi Orientis" www....-------------------------/library/conspiracy/oto/

If anyone has any information regarding the "A.'.A.'." please let me know......

[edit on 26-10-2005 by Inf0rm3r]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
A:A: was a group set up by Aliester Crowley about midway into his career.

It supposedly stands for "Astris Argentum" the silver star.

Surposedly, it was for contacting higher intelligences, one's own guardian angel, in a new religion. It was after "Crowleyanity," but before "Thelema" was entirely developed.

I'm not sure how sirius he was about it.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
www.alcoholics-anonymous.org...

is also a free masonic organization, the have the eye in the pyramid and all that!

sry for the off topic post, but i thought this had something to do wtih drunks!

Cug

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inf0rm3r
If anyone has any information regarding the "A.'.A.'." please let me know......

Do what thou wile shall be the whole of the Law.

The A.'.A.'. or Argenteum (L. Silver) Astrum (L. Star) Is a magical teaching order created by Crowley after the breakup of the Golden Dawn, and the reception of the Book of the Law. (Incidentally A.'.A.'. was also the highest of the 3 orders in the Golden Dawn system, a order of "Secret Chefs" or hidden master, an order that no human can reach. Crowley being Crowley thus claimed it for himself.) There are no "secret" teachings as all the A.'.A.'. material was published by Crowley and others. The only secret is the membership.

After the skisms that broke up the original Golden Dawn system, Crowley (Along with Charles Stanford Jones) Started a new order (in 1909) that would not have the faults that doomed the Golden Dawn. One of these were that no member knew any other member other that the one who teaches him, and those who he teaches in return. This prevents clicks from forming, power grabs, and politics of all sorts, that distract from the the task at hard, teaching/learning magick.

The way the system works is a student is given a list of books to study, and a list of practices (Things like Yoga, Astrology, Tarot, Magick rituals, etc..) to practice and record in what is called the magical diary. When a student is ready for the next grade he is tested on the material to see how well he has learned and his diary is checked to see their progress on the practices. Then the whole process is started again for the next grade.

The A.'.A.'. website is outer-college.org...

You might also notice some people talking about lineages in reference to the A.'.A.'. in most cases this is in reference to the head of that particular branch (Most often these were from Crowley's original students)

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
A:A: was a group set up by Aliester Crowley about midway into his career.

really it was pretty early.. he wasn't yet 30 at the time.

Surposedly, it was for contacting higher intelligences, one's own guardian angel, in a new religion.

Contacting your Holy Guardian Angel (aka your inner/outer self, or finding your true will.) is about mid way in the A.'.A.'. the ultimate goal is uniting yourself with the divine aka enlightenment.

It was after "Crowleyanity," but before "Thelema" was entirely developed.

The A.'.A.'. was formed after Thelema started but it could be said that Thelema was not entirely developed at the time.

"Crowleyanity" really is just a Thelemic slur it's not a movement in and of itself. Most times the term is used in a derogatory fashion referring to people who act like Crowley was a "Christ" type figure who knew all and who's word was "law". It is sometimes also used for people (again in a derogatory fashion) who just collect Crowley memorabila but never do the "work".

Love is the law, love under will.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
im having an interview in november with you friends i think, love is the law. law under will etc.

do you have any recomendations for me?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Don't mean to interject here 'cause Cug knows waaaaay more than me about this, but the Outer College site is www.outercol.org...

You might want to check here for some more info-

www.egnu.org...'.A.'.

[edit to fix link]
[OK the link won't fix. Copy & paste maybe? Its HEXED!!]

[edit on 10/26/2005 by yeahright]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
hehe.. anyone that knows anything about Crowley could tell you that Cug could be taken as an authority on the man and his work, Cug's avatar, title, even mood is thelemic from top to bottom.

but truth be told anyone with any interest in any of the higher sciences should read up on Crowley, the man was brilliant.. though he would chastise me for saying so (He was just like that).

And you will find the A.',A.'. on just about anything Crowley wrote, and just about anything his students wrote.. save for Isreal Regardie, who really wasnt much of a joiner

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cug

The A.'.A.'. or Argenteum (L. Silver) Astrum (L. Star)

Is that what Crowley Himself gave the translation as?

1). It's incorrect Latin, as given. The noun should come first, followed by the adjective. (for instance, the Latin language is "lingua latinae," with the adjective in second place.)So it ought to be Astrum Argenteum, if you want to stick with that title.

2). My Latin is rusty. Because it seems like the "e" in Argenteum is a genitival construction, making it "of silver" or "being silvered."

3). Perhaps the adjective comes first here as a pun, since argentum is also the Latin term for money. It is in the genative preposition on purpose, to show that it is "the moneyed star," or the path to sky-high riches or something.

It must be that Crowley's Latin was better than mine is. Although his Hebrew is abominable. Even though he claims to have assembled "Liber 777" himself, the Hebrew tables he lifted from Henry Cornelius Agrippa's "Three Volumes of Occult Philosophy" contain the same errors as in the original work! Crowley's "Volume Four" was a pun that most of his admirers miss, being a reference to the apocryphal fourth volume of Agrippa's work.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
thx for the replys guys

Cug

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

First a small correction. C.S. Jones middle name is Stansfeld not Stanford. and he wasn't the one who helped Crowley form the A.'.A.'. it was George Cecil Jones... I got my Jones mixed up.

I also noticed I forgot to write about the A.'.A.'. O.T.O. connection.

The A.'.A.'. and the O.T.O. are two separate groups, there are no official connections between them other than they are friendly to each other. Un-officially joining the O.T.O. could help you make contact with the A.'.A.'. at times, as many people join both.

Originally posted by NeonHelmet
im having an interview in november with you friends i think, love is the law. law under will etc.

do you have any recomendations for me?

Nope
Really there are several dozen Thelemic groups so I can't guess what one you mean. But in general the best advice is to just use your common sense and do the work... don't just read about it.

Is that what Crowley Himself gave the translation as?

No. That's my crappy Latin grammar. I'm ok with finding out the root word, but the grammar makes my brain melt
You should see the Latin that C.U.G. stands for, it would choke anyone who understands Latin.

It must be that Crowley's Latin was better than mine is. Although his Hebrew is abominable. Even though he claims to have assembled "Liber 777" himself,

Err... Like you said he "assembled" it! in other words he gathered parts together and put them in one volume and then added his own scholarship (he added tables with other religious backgrounds) to it. If you look at the first edition of 777 (1909) you will see it was published anonymously, Crowley was only named as the "scribe" not the author. What I find remarkable is the fact that Crowley dictated 777 from memory.

the Hebrew tables he lifted from Henry Cornelius Agrippa's "Three Volumes of Occult Philosophy" contain the same errors as in the original work!

Most of the information in 777 came from Golden Dawn papers. But in any case, pretty much everything Occult/Hermetic/Western Ceremonial Magick comes from Agrippa's works in some matter as he was one of the first to put it into writing.

Crowley's "Volume Four" was a pun that most of his admirers miss, being a reference to the apocryphal fourth volume of Agrippa's work

What is "Volume Four?" Do you mean Book 4? Aka Liber ABA, aka Magick, or do you mean part 4 of Book 4?

If your talking about Liber ABA the name was received in the result of a magical working (The Amalantrah Working) with Mary Desti. But even if you don't believe in communicating with the "Secret Chefs", the name still came from the mouth of a woman who wouldn't know Agrippa if you dropped the Three Books of Occult Philosophy on her head. (and that would HURT!).

93 93/93

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Nope
Really there are several dozen Thelemic groups so I can't guess what one you mean. But in general the best advice is to just use your common sense and do the work... don't just read about it.

Yes mybad i made an assumption, im refering to the OTO!
thanks for the advise though that was already my plan!

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

What's this?! NeonHelmet, you are looking to join the OTO?!

I tought you were anti-Masonry, I figured that would bleed over to anti-Quasi-Masonry too (no disrespect intended to either Order guys, just an observation...).

What made you change your mind? If you don't want to discuss it in public, please u2u me because I am seriously curious. You just didn't strike me as the type...

But good luck all the same.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

What's this?! NeonHelmet, you are looking to join the OTO?!

I tought you were anti-Masonry, I figured that would bleed over to anti-Quasi-Masonry too (no disrespect intended to either Order guys, just an observation...).

What made you change your mind? If you don't want to discuss it in public, please u2u me because I am seriously curious. You just didn't strike me as the type...

But good luck all the same.

thank you!

i have no problem discusing this in public, but we are already far off topic, and i started this so mybad. ill make it short and you can u2u me with any questions you might have!

i have wasnt the first to use the word anti mason about me, i was labeled an anti mason after my first post here some 2 years ago! so i kinda hanged onto it, you know how i love baiting! i think thats the reason why all the mods in here call me a troll!

I am interestet in the OTO because of alister, dr regardie and dr hyatt. some of my idols you could say!

i have always and still have self empowerment as a primary goal, and i have always been willing to learn!

why didnt i strike you as the type?

sry thread author for hijacking your thread!

EDIT: i should stop smoking this post just didnt make sense

[edit on 28-10-2005 by NeonHelmet]

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well, my apologies for reviving this 5 year old thread XD. But I thought that it would be a good idea to revive an old one, rather than post a new one asking the same questions
. But basically, my questions are these: What is this order and how does it play into the whole "Mystery School Community"? How are the teachings of this order different from others like AMORC, the GD's, and the OTO? Lastly, what is the point of joining this order if everything that it teaches has already been published by its founders? (Or is there more that hasn't been published?) Also, does anyone have any additional information on these guys? How do you contact them? It appears that you have to write a letter, but is there any other way? It even looks like the address they have you write to on their website isn't complete too...thanks for your help guys!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dokuja

It's important to understand that neither the AA nor the OTO ever actually existed, at least not anywhere except on paper and in Crowley's imagination. They were his ideal magickal orders, and he appointed his friends to all sorts of non-existent positions, but they were only a blueprint and a hope.

AA was meant to carry on the Golden Dawn grade tradition while eliminating group work.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

What do you mean "they never actually existed"??? I don't understand...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dokuja

What do you mean "they never actually existed"??? I don't understand...

In Crowley's day, there were a few groups of his disciples scattered around that he referred to "OTO Lodges". But his students came and went and there was no stability in any organizational structure. Everything Crowley wrote in the Blue Equinox about the OTO structure was imaginary: he was putting down his thoughts of what he believed a magickal order should be. But as Symonds, Regardie, and others pointed out, there was no actual organizational existence, just a few meetings here and there in the homes of friends.

Crowley had a different idea of AA. He meant it to be without rigid organizational structure: it was to be a forum between a teacher and a student, without groups, but still using the traditional Rosicrucian grade system. So what we have today are various AA "lineages" from people who claim to have been tutored by Crowley, or tutored by his first generation disciples.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

ahh, I see. Thanks for the info brother!

new topics

top topics

join