It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Consipiracy Of Brainwashed Christians?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
To answer your question I don't believe the catholic church demonstrates Biblical Christianity, so I have a problem with what a priest does. I believe it is corrupted and as such doesn't teach or practice truth. Without truth sin enters(I am not saying all priests are molesters). So I wouldn't be a part of it's practices.

As far as being slain in the spirit I don't not believe that is Biblical. I will also say that I believe it is of satan's deception and not of God.

People can lay hands on others to pray for them, the act of falling down backward is not from Father/Son/Holy Spirit.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It is more than refreshing to hear other trains of thought on what can be such a touchy subject. The reason why the issue is so frustrating to me is that Christianity has somewhat of a history of preaching and I guess really trying to get people to join. While I cannot pass judgement on that, I do take issue with the manners they choose to operate. Now not being what you would call a modern day Christian, I get angry when I discover there are so many versions of the religion and each feels they are the right way, and any other way shall lead to eternal damnation. It saddens me that if I want to exercise both common sense and use a small instance of guidance from my heart (both of these things given to me by God) not only do I find myself repelled from various churches and their methods, but I find myself wondering if I AM going to Hell to suffer an eternal fire. And yet I know that can't be right. But, with thanks to this thread, I have come to the conlusion that there is no point getting angry with other human beings that are blinded by their own ignorance simply because they distort something I both wish to learn more about and have great respect for. In my heart I know that the church, any church, will never be the centre of the universe. I am guessing that spot is reserved for each of our hearts. No singing and clapping, no throwing money around, no religious wars or condemning others to hell for not agreeing with ya. That there is the possability other Christians are aware of the problems with the church and are willing to be open to the idea that God and his wisdom far exceeds a group of bricks and people dressed in ceremony garb designed by the human mind, makes me feel less alone. Because, and I guess this is one of the reasons for the whole thread thing, because there is no greater feeling of loneliness than visiting a church and finding yourself surrounded by people that are believing people are falling to the ground for the wrong reasons, and to be surrounded by so many people that are supposedly filled with love but actually can't speak for more than five sentences without saying "Praise Jesus" and then walking off to someone else to talk about their aunty that had her cancer pulled out by the hand of God. Come on you all, lets not # each other around anymore. I'd like to think we humans are pretty smart little animals, and I personally believe it is time to bring religion into the 21st Century. My idea for a starting platform for reform is truth.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
They don't all fall on the ground, you know.

Some of them don't believe "everyone who disagrees with us is going to hell."

Some of them (the one I go to), have Bible studies where people disagree with each other, and do so politely and with respect. And then join hands at the end of the hour.

Some of them (the one I go to) are short on doctrine and "automatic answers." The church I go to, the preacher has a Phd., and studies the Bible in the original languages. (one of the reasons I go there). When I have had doubts, I told him. He didn't yell at me; he got out a Bible and offered to loan me books from the church library. The Library has a sign over the door that say's something like "Answers? We're still trying to decide on the right questions!"

I wouldn't sit still for a preacher to shouted at me. no way. Our dude talks to us, teaches us, and as he says, "tries make sure we feel better going out the door than we did when we came in."

We are in the middle of a stewardship campaign, and he started by pointing out that he is salaried, and gets paid the same regardless of what anyone gives to the church.

I LIKE having multiple churches. We have forty kinds of toothpaste in the grocery, so everyone can find the one that suits them. Why wouldn't we do that with philosophies and approaches to God? Do they all get your mouth clean? Probably. See, they all work, it's just a question of finding the one with that minty fresh taste.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Fresh minty taste? Nicely said. I agree that there should be a variety of religious communities available to suit each and everyones needs. And I guess with that sort of freedom there will always be bad apples and groups that will hinder the process, even in the name of doing good. I personally don't believe that the variety of religions we have today has helped in an understanding of different methods of worship, for most of them, in my experience, still harbour the feeling that "they" are on the right path and others are still a little lost. But once again that is a human issue and not so much a spiritual one. Just one question as only have a moment, do you believe there is a fundamental difference between religion and philosophy? And if so, what would those differences be? I value your opinion. Cheers.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
They are different arts, that overlap. Kind of like the "Mastercard" logo with the two overlapping circles.

There is some philosophy in everyone's relgion (or lack), like it or not. There is probably some religion in everyone's philosophy as well.

Me personally, my relgion is high on philosophy, and low on emotionalism, but that's because I a thinker, not an "emoter."

That is about me though, not God.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join