It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australian Navy Under Fire For Beached Whales

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I can't believe anybody would think it's ok to use a new sonar that kills all the sea mammals in the area..

It must then be ok to develop a new radar that kills all the land mammals too. If there was any justice in the world, they'd install that puppy in your neighborhood.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Some of the People here do not Understand that completly...

Well I've yet to meet one.

Not Always? Well, I haven't seen you say anything "Bad" about them.

About weapons?
Really? Mabye you'll notice that I said I feel bad when one of my country's soldiers is killed in combat? How did he die? Most likely from a weapon.

Why is that?

Because mabye you see only what you wish to see?

You don't get my Point.

No I get your point, your complaing about certain things that you find unacceptable, I am showing that those certain things are only part of a bigger problem.

We are RAPING our planet to the Extreme, and soon there will be nobody else left here but US and our Steel and Carbon "Toys" we have so that Big Boys can play "War Games".

Yeah thats a nice opinion pity I dont believe in it.

Are you going to start hunting and fishing submarines? Frankly, our Planet can not take this Rape for much longer...

Yeah?
Kinda hypocritical then to use the things that are hurting the earth to say "stop hurting the earth"..

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

There are 'Nuff of Endagered and Extinct Species already - but looks like, there will be MUCH MORE, because of the Actions of Few Bad Men, that want this World for themselves, and do not give a DAMN what effects it will have on it.

Simply IGNORANT!

In the earths long history 99.9% of all life that ever lived went extinct. The vast, vast majority of which went extinct before man ever lived. Man has only been around for what 100,000-200,000 years and have only been industrial in any major way for about 200 years. To think man is the cause of extinction is simply arrogant.

Extinction is fate of almost life that ever lives with man or without him. What a overblown thought of self-importance to think man is the cause of extinction. Man is only the smallest factor in the long history of extinction on earth.

If every human packed up and left earth 99+% of life living now is still going to go extinct.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
WAY TO GO OFF TOPIC!

it's too bad they couldn't save them all, if this sonar is the cause they should atleast check the area for sea mammals, or if its not they should atleast run some tests.

Who cares if everything goes extinct I don't see your point other than some sort of off topic trolling.

The problem is we shouldn't be killing sea life if we can avoid it, does that not make any sense to you fools?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

The problem is we shouldn't be killing sea life if we can avoid it, does that not make any sense to you fools?

What a magical happy world that would be though. Do people need to eat sushi and the millions of tons of sea life it kills? No so it could be avoided, but guess what they aint going to stop.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
If every human packed up and left earth 99+% of life living now is still going to go extinct.

You are Wrong here. Can't you see the Pressure that this Planet is under right now, when so many Billions of people are living on it? If every human packed and left the Earth right now, do you imagine how many CARS would stop driving? How many factories would close? How many animals would not be slaughtered? How many Black Hunters would not go hunting and killing even more endagered species? Well, ALOT! And IMHO, several Species of Animals, that will get extinct with the current way of our life on this planet, would live happily every after. The Human Race is a parasite of this world, it does nothing in return, just TAKES, and TAKES, and TAKES. What does it Give? Pollution? Global Warming? Corporate Corruption? Wars? Unneccessary Killing of Animals? See, this new sonars that US Navy and other Navy ships have now is great at discovering submarines and other very "important" stuff underwater - but it is also killing alot of Animals, that will not be eaten by anybody. They will die on the beach, they will drown because of the internal bleedings. Why? Was that Neccessary? That is like killing animals for Sports - just to shoot them.

By killing our enviroment we are killing ourselves.

Too bad we, as a Human race, do not realize that...

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I read a report about the autopsies of these whales and dolphins, their internal organs were ruptured with bubbles of gas caused by some kind of decompression from the new types of sonar or weapons that are being used. These intelligent relatives of ours are being murdered for pointless military exercises.
THIS REALLY NEEDS TO STOP.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think I sit on the fence here. I am not a rabid War supporter, but neither am I a Tree-hugger (to coin a couple of names being bandied about here).

For the War-Supporters:

Low frequency sound waves, especially high-powered ones, can cause physical harm. That there is no doubt. If stood you in front of a powerful sound emitting device and used the correct frequencies, I could cripple you, make you crap your pants or just make you dead.

For an animal that uses sound not only for navigation, but communication and possible other, as yet unknown uses, these high-energy sound waves could pose a serious risk.

Bear in mind that a large portion of the cetacean brain is dedicated to receiving and translating these sound waves, so it is not inconceivable that harm could be done by certain frequencies of a certain strength.

I thought you would have known this considering the military projects using sound as a medium for crowd control or non-lethal weapons, so don't start getting on your high horse against Souljah et al for "not knowing what SONAR is", as you quite clearly do not understand anything about sound yourselves.

For the Tree-huggers:

I think you guys are jumping the gun.

As I stated above, it is not inconceivable that SONAR causes discomfort/pain/death/confusion in aquatic mammals that rely on SOUND for so many things.

However....and this is a big however.....it is also not proven and there are cases of whale strandings dating far back in time that occured before man ever invented SONAR.

What is need is more of a study into the nevironmental impacts that certain weapons systems, or any system for that matter, is deployed.

Take DU rounds for example, still alot of controversy and the studies are inconclusive. Or, in the civilian world, Cell Phone masts. What we cannot do is can every new technology just based on a possible risk that so far remains unproven.

And nby the way, the planet will be fine. She has endured far worse than us mere Humans and will be around long after she gets rid of us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join