It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australian Navy Under Fire For Beached Whales

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Two pods of Pilot whales have stranded themselves on Marion Bay Beach in Tasmania over the last week, prompting Australian Green's senator Christine Milne to call for an inquiry to investigate the proximity of Navy ships in the area at the time. It is understood that mine hunter vessels were in the area at the time of the beachings. Over 150 whales have died in the beaching incidents with rescue teams unable to save many of the whale's lives.

www.abc.net.au

"It's well known and quite well established that naval exercises using mid frequency or low frequency sonar do have a negative impact on whales, killing them in some cases, and also disrupting their ability to navigate," she said.

Scientists are taking samples from the carcasses in an attempt to find out why the whales beached.

Jenni Burdon from the Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service says the appearance of naval ships in the bay has raised suspicions.

"A lot of people have been saying, 'has that got anything to do with it'. It's just one of those unknown questions," she said.

The Navy mine hunters are now returning to Melbourne.

The Age
The carcasses of an estimated 130 dead pilot whales litter the beaches at Marion Bay on Tasmania's southern coast following two mass strandings yesterday.
About 60 whales died in the first stranding, south of the Marion narrows, although 11 more were successfully returned to the water.
Tasmanian parks service spokeswoman Liz Wren said another 70 other whales died overnight.
"Last night, just on dusk, there was a pod close to shore and so another large group stranded,'' she said from the scene, 60 kilometres east of Hobart, today.
"And so, when we checked the beach this morning there were in fact about 70 dead whales scattered (along) about a kilometre of . . . the Marion Bay beach.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Senator Milne has asked if the ships were using sonar which has been known to kill whales and interfere with their ability to navigate.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
IS HAARP KILLING WHALES?
NEWS: At Least 22 Pilot Whales Beach in N.C.
100+ whales, dolphins die in Australia beachings

[edit on 26-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I do not think it is being too unreasonable to ask the Navy to conduct some type of environmental impact report concerning the application of low to mid-range Sonar and its effects on whale's ability to navigate. Idle speculation will get us absolutely nowhere, after all. At least if the facts are verified in relation to this issue, the Navy will have a platform to work from in terms of reviewing its use of these particular frequencies.

That being said, I find it highly unlikely that the Navy would consider altering its practices to safeguard wayward whales, even if it were proven that a direct link between Navy Sonar and beachings existed. Speaking on a purely practical level, the Navy has to conduct its operations with the safety of Australia and its citizens as their utmost priority. The well-being of other creatures, even intelligent creatures such as whales, will likely be given a relatively low priority.

I am curious as to what the Navy's options would be were such a link established definitively. If other frequencies could be used safely, I am sure they would consider doing so. However, if this proves not to be possible, do we ask the Navy to suspend its operations in order to safeguard the lives of these whales? Personally, I am in favour of the Navy continuing its operations, even if it means the deaths of whales who become beached. Ultimately, the Navy exists to protect us. How far would most Australians be willing to compromise this in order to safeguard whales?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
When I first saw the Article about the Beached Whales, I said to myself: "Now there must be a friggin' Navy in the close victinity!"

The story of this "new type of sonar" goes to the US Navy also - when all of the sudden Dolphins started acting strangly and also Beached on the coasts, near the US Navy wargames. This new type of sonar emmits on a new frequency, which is unknown to us, and the marine biologist discovered that they create internal bleedings in the brains of the underwater mammals, such as dolphins and whales. They also interfeer with the ability to navigate - basicly its killing them!

But I am sure that the Navy does not want to hear about them or some other "Eco-activists" and "Tree-huggers" that critisize their new Toy.

150 Whales Died for their New Toys??!?!?

Frankyl, that just makes me PIZZED!!!

[edit on 26/10/05 by Souljah]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Here is what an averege warsupporter thinks about this "new sonars" - taken from another thread:

Boo Hoo, wanna hug a tree ??
New Toy?? You think Sonar is some toy that the navy plays with or it can kill people?
If you can remember 3th grade science sonar is used to detect submerged bodies not to kill them! BTW Its been around since WW2.
Whats scary is that you dont know this!
Not only the US Navy but all navies heck even fishermen use sonar extensively to seach the sea floor.
If this is the best thing you can find to slam the US then I feel sad for you! Ha Sonar!
------------------------------------------------------------------
My god! This is lame! Sonar is not NEW!! It has been around for more that 60 years!! And sonars do not kill, they merely produce amplified sound that bounces of other objects and is picked up by a receiver and the object is picked up by the sonar. It is very primitive technology!!
Also the Navy truly does not give a damn about the fishes going crazy because of sonar and it shouldnt.

Well, now you know how the US or Australian Navy mind "Works".

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Here is what an averege warsupporter thinks about this "new sonars"

I wouldn't say that this represents the average opinion of "war supporters". I myself support the war almost completely, yet I feel that causing unnecessary damage or death to harmless, defenceless animals is horribly wrong and that the Navy must certainly do everything it can to minimise the risks or prevent the situation from occurring altogether.

However, it seems, on the face of it at least, that the Navy may not be responsible on this occassion:

Both ships employed short-range, high-frequency active sonars at varying times during the search, he said.

But the spokesman said both ships were in Hobart when the strandings began.

"The later presence of the two ships in the stranding area is purely coincidental and is considered unrelated to the cause of the strandings, which are considered by many to be a natural phenomena that occurs regularly in the Tasmanian area at this time of year," he said.

The spokesman said the ships were operating in accordance with the environment management plan for maritime exercise areas.

Reference - The Advertiser

Even if you do not accept this account, it seems at least that the Navy is giving the concerns raised over this issue due concern.

[edit on 26/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I guess then your opinion differs from the averege one.

I don't think the Navy gives a Damn about 150 dead Dolphins and Whales, caused by their precious new sonar toys.

The Navy trained Dolphins to discover underwater mines and trained them to lay underwater mines - do you think they would give a funk about killing few hundred more?

I don't think so Pal...

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
I guess then your opinion differs from the averege one.

I don't think the Navy gives a Damn about 150 dead Dolphins and Whales, caused by their precious new sonar toys.

You dont know the "navy" very well then.

The Navy trained Dolphins to discover underwater mines and trained them to lay underwater mines - do you think they would give a funk about killing few hundred more?
[/qutoe]
Uh no, they are trained to find mines and swimmers and tell thier handlers where they are .

I don't think so Pal...

Think again then.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hey People,
whale beaching is a fact recorded over the last 1000 years in various places on Earth...but the sonar exist only for 100 years...So stop blaming the military for everything...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

The story of this "new type of sonar" goes to the US Navy also - when all of the sudden Dolphins started acting strangly and also Beached on the coasts, near the US Navy wargames. This new type of sonar emmits on a new frequency, which is unknown to us, and the marine biologist discovered that they create internal bleedings in the brains of the underwater mammals, such as dolphins and whales. They also interfeer with the ability to navigate - basicly its killing them!
[edit on 26/10/05 by Souljah]

Do you have any idea how sonar works at all? I am just curious since I about fell off the seat when I read that.

Where is your proof of this happening? Where is the direct correlation? Guess what, there is none. SONAR has been used for about sixty years. Marine life has been beaching itself and suffering from internal bleeding for millions of years.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So because they use sonar and it hurst the animals then we shouldnt use it?
What about missiles?
I'm sure something hitting you at mach 4 might hurt a little bit, how about rifles?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
What about all the accounts of beached whales before the invention of sonar? Is the evil NAVY to blame for those too?

Infact theres more evidence that surges of solar activity may cause whales to run aground.

The researchers found that of the 97 stranding events reported around the coastal countries of the North Sea over the 291 years, 90% occurred when the Sun cycle was shorter than average.

Bad Sun Bad! I guess the Sun is not as fun to complain about for Hippies as the evil Navy

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
HAS ANYBODY EVEN READ THE ARTICLES?

Its about a New Type of Sonar, that the US Navy is Using!

READ PEOPLE!

GEZUS!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Well what about all the whales that beached themselves before this "New Type of Sonar" was invented and theres a whole bunch of cases before that, did the NAVY cause that aswell?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   

READ PEOPLE!

GEZUS!

Why don't you READ them. I failed to see where there was concrete proof. It was all a bunch of "it may have," or "it might have." When the marine critters start dying from the inport tests, then I might believe you or them.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   

READ PEOPLE!

GEZUS!

What about reading how the human race kills animals just by driving?
How about how we kill animals by using chemicals and damaging the natural order?
Eh what about that?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Friggin' Weapons Worshipers!

Always Defending the Military...

When all Dolphns, Whales and other Animals are KILLED - are you going to "pet" some Nuclear Sumbarine?

Are Big Navy Toy Ships more Important then the Enviroment we Live in?

The Animals that also Live here?

There are 'Nuff of Endagered and Extinct Species already - but looks like, there will be MUCH MORE, because of the Actions of Few Bad Men, that want this World for themselves, and do not give a DAMN what effects it will have on it.

Simply IGNORANT!

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Friggin' Weapons Worshipers!

Weapons are tools, not gods.

Always Defending the Military...

Not always but heh just pointing out a few facts.

When all Dolphns, Whales and other Animals are KILLED - are you going to "pet" some Nuclear Sumbarine?

When all the fish in the north sea and killed or when all the enviroment die of an oil spill will you "pet" an oil tanker?

Are Big Navy Toy Ships more Important then the Enviroment we Live in?

The Animals that also Live here?

There are 'Nuff of Endagered and Extinct Species already - but looks like, there will be MUCH MORE, because of the Actions of Few Bad Men, that want this World for themselves, and do not give a DAMN what effects it will have on it.

Simply IGNORANT!

Pot calling kettle black?

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Weapons are tools, not gods.

Some of the People here do not Understand that completly...

Not always but heh just pointing out a few facts.

Not Always? Well, I haven't seen you say anything "Bad" about them.

Why is that?

When all the fish in the north sea and killed or when all the enviroment die of an oil spill will you "pet" an oil tanker?

You don't get my Point. We are RAPING our planet to the Extreme, and soon there will be nobody else left here but US and our Steel and Carbon "Toys" we have so that Big Boys can play "War Games". Are you going to start hunting and fishing submarines? Frankly, our Planet can not take this Rape for much longer...

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
last year in NZ was about 20+ whales beached themself up at the top of the north island, they believed it to be some global warming c**p causing the current to change in the water or some c**p but i doubt that the australian case is similar

top topics

<<   2 >>

join