It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why it's so hard to belive in UFO's

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This was a question that someone asked a while ago, but i couldn't find the thread, and i wanted to post a response.

I think there's numerous reasons that people find it so hard to believe in the whole ufo phenomenon. One of the biggest reasons is that obviously there are a lot of fakes...but that was a given. People fake stuff and make up crap all the time, so you cant let that cloud your judgement. If we want to find out better reasons let's take abductions for example, it's difficult to understand why a race of people that's so advanced and can travel unimaginable distances to visit earth, would want to abduct people and shove things up their butt? I know it sounds funny, but it's kind of true. I would think after a couple of times of anal probing some humans, the aliens would be able to figure out that they aren't going to get to much information that way... i was watching national geographic (or some other station that runs paranormal stuff occasionally) and they had something about ufos. A man was talking about his abduction experience and he claimed that they anal probed him. The guy looked like a rational clean cut man, not the usual type of person who's like "i got took by them there alieums!" but somehow, it just didn't make sense to me. I could understand people getting cut up and dissected, but butt probes?? i dunno...

Another reason is that when you see a lot of footage of ufos, depending on when the footage was taken, the ships look either really good or really bad. Say you see some footage from the 50's, the spaceships look cheesy and fly weird...but if you look at something from more modern times, the ships look better constructed and fly more precisely. But the real key, is that the ships looked like they have developed in earth time. Maybe it's just me, but i would expect an advance civilization to produce more spectacular aircraft in 50 or so years, not just go from 1 cruddy lookin cylinder to a better looking one. I don't know if i am making that point clearly enough, but just think about what i am trying to say and you'll get it.

Those were just a few reasons, hopefully we can debate a few theories back and forth, but in conclusion i feel that the reason people find it so hard to believe in ufo's is that there just isn't enough credible proof. A lot of ufo "evidence" is just to open to interpretation. There still hasn't been the 1 story or 1 piece of evidence that everyone can look at and be like "damn, we cant deny that can we?"

There has got to be other life forms out there because i refuse to believe that humanity is the smartest and most advanced forms of life that have ever existed, even ancient civilizations talk about mysterious "star people", but unfortunately modern ufo evidence just isn't strong enough to really believe in.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   
i think a large part of the disbelief in UFO's and ET's is out of two things:
Fear and ignorance.

People fear the unknown therefore tend to put it off as not real. they do not wish to pursue the fact that something that is not normal could be and is true. They tend to cling to the things they are told by higher figures of authority (government, religious leaders). This of course gives way to the ignorance.

It isn't just the apparent lack of solid proof that does this. It is just human nature to fear a radical change and a fear of something unknown. Now obviously , this doesnt apply to every person in the world, with websites such as this as proof of that.

But for the most part, until someone of supreme authority (government,religious leaders) comes out and confirms 'yes these things do exist', most people will continue to not believe.

Another problem with getting people to believe is the way many media sources (TV, Hollywood) portray ET's and UFO's... i mean just look at movies like Indepence Day, Close Encounters, 2001, and other such movies of the same nature. Is it any surprise that people wouldnt believe that these things actually exist?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
i have no problem believing in UFOs and EBEs , what i do have a problem believing is the 99.99% of the published claims surrounding them

i believe that drakes equation has a solution

i admit that i do filter my expectations of EBE behaviour and psychology through the " WWID " what would i do test ,

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I saw two UFO's with my own eyes. I most definitely believe in them. Alot of the photos and stories from people are probably staged or whatever but once you see these things with your own eyes it doesnt matter what anyone else says. And no I didnt have specks of dirt on my eyeballs and as yet I dont know how to photoshop my eyeball lens.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I agree that people need stability so the unexplained is frightening but however there are a few people who look beyond there parameters of are world and how it works this people are then called wierd and crazy

There is only one thing that i know and that is are world exists and life has managed to thrive here so why cant it somewere else in the galaxy

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
For some people it's imperitive that they believe in something other worldy. I personaly love the subject of aliens and UFO's, but not out of personal neccesity. Not everyone needs ET's and UFO's to feel complete. Someone like myself prefers to keep both feet on the ground and maintain a clear, objective view on UFO matters.

In the past 10 years alone there has been a barrage of brazen fakes, frauds, and hoaxes. The Internet is a very fertile ground for many types of UFO fraud. Note the hundred of questionable links to UFO websites people link to. A majority of these sites follow shallow investigative practices and continue to promote images, videos, and stories that were debunked years ago.

That's why is it increasingly difficult to believe in UFOs and Aliens. It is far easier to fake an event than it is to produce hard physical evidence. If the UFO community as a whole would take a more critical approach in investigation, theres a remote chance they could restore some form of credibility.
By maintaining a clear head and applying objective reasoning people can Deny Ignorance.

[edit on 26-10-2005 by nullster]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
These are all valid and excellent points..

I would like to point out this.. i believe someone already brought it up, but i would like to expand.

The general public views alot of people who believe in and argue the existence of UFO's and ET's as crazy, insane, loony,etc. There have been many instances in history where people were looked down upon for their beliefs in something that was later proven( not including religion here). Some of these include the world being round not flat, the sun being the center of galaxy not the earth, the earth not being the center of the universe, evolutionary theory(this one is still being debated today).
Now all of these things are acceptable scientific beliefs and are proven. They are also socially acceptable now.

UFO and ET beliefs, contrary to the multitude of people who do believe in them, have not become socially acceptable yet. I do believe these theories and beliefs will soon become so, and the public will not view us(believers) as looneys or crackpots. We have plenty of proof, it just hasnt been confirmed by a high authority figure, or even someone who people could trust as telling the facts and is not just some UFO researcher or retired military officer.

Until this happens, I'm afraid the general populice will not put much stock into the theories and beliefs. Unless of course a UFO or ET makes an unmistakeable appearance in the world.. say during some large scale event such as a sports event or something similar.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Why it's so hard to believe in UFO's ?

I find that I have a hard time deciding to believe anything. It is not that hard for me to become convinced by evidence however.

We know , or you can research and find out , that the U.S. Air Force investigated UFOs ( SIGN, GRUDGE , Blue Book ) for more than 20 years. France has investigated UFOs ( GEPAN - SEPRA) and recently this year has re-opened those investigations. The Brazilian Air Force (FAB) has admitted this year that secret files on UFOs have been kept by them since 1952, and by their own admission UFOs are real.

The evidence that the phenomena is a true unknown phenomena is there. You just have to research and become familiar with the subject so that you can understand the difference between True Events and pranksters hoaxing UFOs. There is a difference and this is not impossible.

I think anyone who takes the time to learn about the phenomena and the history behind the phenomena will realize that many Governments around the world have taken UFOs very seriously. And it wasn't because people were throwing around Hubcaps and taking goofy looking pictures.

I think it is a mistake to believe in anything just for the sake of believing. Believing sets you up to be misguided. It is much harder to be misguided when you have read and researched and are familiar with the evidence and you can draw your own conclusions.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman
Why it's so hard to believe in UFO's ?

I find that I have a hard time deciding to believe anything. It is not that hard for me to become convinced by evidence however.

Well said

One thing may also be the ridicule, "UFOs are silly and for the wacky conspiracytheorists only, such things doesn't exist!"

It really bothers me how some people are so deliciously ignorant, and they've never even reasearched the subject.

A great quote:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

Hell, I think I'll even put in in my sig!

Mod edit: quote size

[edit on 26-10-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I believe the reason why people have a hard time believing in extra terrestrial lifeforms is because society tells you if you can't see it and grasp it, it diesn't exist. Anyone claiming to believe in Aliens which is not something we interract with on a daly basis, is either delusional or crazy.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I saw two UFO's with my own eyes. I most definitely believe in them.

"Aye Yosserian!" Me too ,I saw 2 real ET craft a few months back,
Isn't it a great feeling when you Know for a fact there here!!!

And don't long anymore for that smoking gun or hard evedence of anyone.

Maybe you can U2U me and we can share our Sightings!
or we could start a new thread and watch as people try so desperatly to shoot us down, coz they feel inferior.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, are you kidding me? People find it hard to beleive that UFO's exist becuase they are self-centered morons. There is so much evidence out there and the entire concept of ETs didnt just appear from nothing. Obviously something was seen to have created such an idea regardless of how long ago it happened. It just really makes me mad that there are people who can sit there and say that Earth is the only planet with life when its PROVEN that there are other galaxies with planets that share uncanny characteristics with that of Earth, i.e. distance from sun, atmosphere, etc. RIDICULOUS! Some people need to open their eyes and realize what there could be. I CANNOT WAIT for something to happen so all of us who know that ET's exist can say "we told you so!" Errrrr.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
One reason would be the evidence of UFO's which piles up to zero. Not too many people are willing to go out on a limb and say they believe in something when there is no evidence.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akuzar
This is ridiculous, are you kidding me? People find it hard to beleive that UFO's exist becuase they are self-centered morons. There is so much evidence out there and the entire concept of ETs didnt just appear from nothing. Obviously something was seen to have created such an idea regardless of how long ago it happened. It just really makes me mad that there are people who can sit there and say that Earth is the only planet with life when its PROVEN that there are other galaxies with planets that share uncanny characteristics with that of Earth, i.e. distance from sun, atmosphere, etc. RIDICULOUS! Some people need to open their eyes and realize what there could be. I CANNOT WAIT for something to happen so all of us who know that ET's exist can say "we told you so!" Errrrr.

That's nothing...but rubbish. There may be galaxies but you have no evidence to support that earth like characteristics are any proof of biological life. It has never been proven. That is why people don't believe in UFO's, some people. People like yourself are the self-centered morons, those who choose not to research and understand why things are the way they are.

I ask one question of you: name me the planet that these alien UFOs (since we are not talking about generic UFO's) come from? Go ahead and take your time.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akuzar
This is ridiculous, are you kidding me? People find it hard to beleive that UFO's exist becuase they are self-centered morons. There is so much evidence out there and the entire concept of ETs didnt just appear from nothing.

Harsh words. And if I may be so bold, pretty ignorant too.
You say that there is plenty of evidence out there. Then show me something absolutely concrete that points to UFOs being a matter of fact.
You can't. Believing in UFOs is exactly that - a belief. It's up there with believing in a god, believing in the Loch Ness monster, believing in Bigfoot. People can choose to believe or they can choose not to because there is nothing out there that can really sway it for them.

The concept of ETs obviously didn't appear out of nothing. People look for answers and apply imagination to things that they can't explain. When the first caveman saw a meteor do you think he said "Wow. Look at that astronomical anomaly?". No. What he probably attributed it to was a god or an exterior life-force.
In the case of UFOs it's quite easy to believe in them once you gather a sense of scale about the Universe in which we live. But where is the absolute proof? Answer? There isn't any.

For myself, I do believe in extraterrestrial life. But I have yet to see anything that can prove to me that it exists. Some evidence does swing me towards a belief but it is only that - a chosen belief. There are many people in this world who choose not to recognise something unless they know it for a proven fact. This doesn't make them morons as you so glibly state. In fact, some may even say this makes them less gullible. And when we look at the vast distances that any visiting being would have to cover to get here, is it any wonder that it is beyond some people's comprehension?

I choose to believe in UFOs. If other people choose not to believe, that's totally up to them and it would be foolish to throw insults at them.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
One reason would be the evidence of UFO's which piles up to zero. Not too many people are willing to go out on a limb and say they believe in something when there is no evidence.

Are you serious? Have you even looked? Roswell, The Hill Abduction, tons of pics, some pre 60's, videos, Wilbert B. Smith memo, witnesses etc. What would you call that? I'd personally say evidence, not proof, but evidence.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

Harsh words. And if I may be so bold, pretty ignorant too.
You say that there is plenty of evidence out there. Then show me something absolutely concrete that points to UFOs being a matter of fact.
You can't.

I think some scientists working in Hessdalen have shown that an Unknown Aerial Phenomena exists.

Project Hessdalen

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well dude, if we're gonna split hairs - UFOs definitely exist. All UFO means is Unidentified Flying Object. There are plenty of things out there that haven't been explained beyond doubt - therefore they can't be called anything else.
It works both ways so logically there are UFO's (in my opinion). Wether they contain little green men is another story.

[edit on 26-10-2005 by Leveller]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think both sides have a point. I dont think people that DON'T belive in the existence of UFOS are just self centered, i think they just havent been given enough CONCRETE PROOF. Honestly, eyewitnesses are NEVER reliable. I'm not saying that they are liars, but i mean weird lights and stuff could be anything. Besides your eyes can play tricks on you. I'm not trying to take anything away from what people claim to have seen, just giving another avenue to consider. Mcguirk brought up a good point, with all the trivialization that the hollywood movies have done over the years, it's really no surprise people don't believe this stuff, and fear it as well. Every time in the movies that humans and aliens interact, it's usually negative and lots of people die. But then again, why are a lot of "true" alien stories so dark and twisted as well? Life imitating art? Art imitating life? Who knows... what i am trying to say, the "real" stories aren't believable, and the hollywood stuff is obviously garbage, so all we are left with is a small percentage of "facts" that people will either believe in or not. I don't know, when i was young aliens used to scare me. Then my mom told me they weren't real and all those people on tv were just making up stories and that the media was using it to scare me. In a way she was right because i mean, at that time all the shows that came on tv and people that were telling the stories were hoaxed. Well eventually i stopped being scared, then i researched it more and came to the conclusion that i don't believe any of these stories or so called "proof" really. Like i said before, its really only my belief that humans are to stupid to be the smartest thing in the galaxy, and very small shreds of evidence and the undying belief that some people have in them, that convince me on some level they are real. Take crop circles for example, people have admitted that they were all elaborate hoaxes. For years that was considered solid proof. Turns out all of them were faked. I enjoy the theories though, weather they be pro or con because aliens are a subject that has been talked about since forever and honestly, i think there should be some more VALID research and time put into these events. Sadly, i dont think that's going to happen. There is totally a part of me that wants to belive in this stuff, i just wish we could get some solid, credible proof. Oh well, i aint gonna loose any sleep over it!

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phood

Originally posted by Frosty

Are you serious? Have you even looked? Roswell, The Hill Abduction, tons of pics, some pre 60's, videos, Wilbert B. Smith memo, witnesses etc. What would you call that? I'd personally say evidence, not proof, but evidence.

That is called heresay and folklore.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join