It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does faith get us in so much trouble?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I know this thread isn't meant to make opinion fact, although I just want to know why faith in religions have caused our world so much trouble. I would loved for the religious faithful (not spiritual) to respond by looking at the facts of life... We have enough religion to start wars, but we have not enough to stop them.

That is fundamentally unsound. To all the faithful, please do you, when you look reallyu deep into it, does it really make sense to you?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
For the same reason people post in the wrong forums; because they don't thoroughly read the instructions?

Moved out of CONSPIRACIES domain and to BTS domain.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I am lost in faith of something I don't know what but here is my thought...

Forgive me I may not know enough on history...maybe i make sense?

Early in egypt they worship the sun they had Jew slaves. Jews escape slavery create a religion many things similar to egypt's religion. There is no Police/Army back than so how do you scare people from being a savage? By no means is religion the only point to stop anarchy. I belive fear of future events cause religion to be pushed hard with many rules. I belive the torah has 600 and something? Anyway this hardcore push of religion and putting fear in hearts get people in line right but with that fear causes outlash of people not allowing others to put down the particular religion which in turn has made many people die over the years.

Egypt worshiped the Sun, Jew worship the Son...

I do belive in God but what has been created within religion for other reasons of the time? Plus so many different people and religions of the world I donnu.

What is right? What is wrong? I am still lost....

Feel free to debunk or correct my statement I can't remember everything I have read.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I dont think it is faith that gets you into trouble, i think it is blind faith.

It's people that think that the bible is 100% right on all things.. because it says so right in the book. (The other faiths are just as guilty of this, i'm not singling out christians or any other students of the bible)

it's people that cant understand that maybe... just maybe, the other faiths pray to the same god, but under a different name. christians tend to think that if muslims pray to the same god as they do, then they should call him jehovah, why would they? jehovah is an old english word for Yawheh, which is the ancient name for God in hebrew. So why pray to a god by a name that means nothing to you, Allah means "supreme one" in arabic, doesnt that sound like the same guy the jews and christians pray to? isnt Yahweh the supreme one? it's a simple matter of a language barrier

so faith isnt what gets people into trouble, it's trying to use faith as a shield to disclude those that you can not, or refuse to understand. it's when faith becomes fanatisism that we get in trouble

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Good point! Plus if they wanna give God a name why don't they call him YHVH lol I don't know how they would say it but hey

More listed here:
en.wikipedia.org...

I am curious if Hindus ever had such problems? It seems like such a peaceful relligion. Well I guess the country of India seems very peaceful as well now that I think about it.

The topic on hand is a good topic I wish I knew more about the developing problems of various religions throughout history.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by japike
It seems like such a peaceful relligion. Well I guess the country of India seems very peaceful as well now that I think about it.

Uhh...Say what, now?

No, Hindus did not have the same proble, they believe Jesus was an avatar who got off on lying. Christianity is right, according to Hindus, so far as I understand, as are other religions. Ironically, this includes Christ saying He's the only way to the Father.

Again, India is a peaceful country? Huh?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

It seems like such a peaceful relligion. Well I guess the country of India seems very peaceful as well now that I think about it.

Uhh...Say what, now?

No, Hindus did not have the same proble, they believe Jesus was an avatar who got off on lying. Christianity is right, according to Hindus, so far as I understand, as are other religions. Ironically, this includes Christ saying He's the only way to the Father.

Again, India is a peaceful country? Huh?

Yeshua never said that, he said "I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except through me"

now what he DIDNT say was " i am jesus christ, and if you want to talk to the father you gotta talk to me"

what he was saying, is that only through the way of goodness & rightousness, with only the truth on your tongue, can you live a life for God, and only then can you come unto the father.

As for india and the hindu, the religion is peacefull.. the country isnt always

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Religion gets us in trouble because we let the religious leaders put controls on us. We are all connected, all nature is connected. The world is becoming sick because of relgious ideas that make man above everything and God above man. People then get the idea that we are disconected from nature and can do what we want for our own personal gain.

This will stop, or we will destroy our ability to live on mother earth. If we do not realize the connectedness of it all, Gods plan, then we will surely perish. The God and the Godess are giving us plenty of warnings. Will we take heed and stop this raping of ourselves and our home?

Faith doesnt get us in trouble, I have faith nature will take it back if we do not learn to stop raping her. Organized religion, now that gets us in trouble. If we can see ourselves as earths shepherds, instead of beibg so far above it, we will finally get going in the right direction.

Just some ramblings...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becon of Light
what he was saying, is that only through the way of goodness & rightousness, with only the truth on your tongue, can you live a life for God, and only then can you come unto the father.

Had it not been for the rest of the context of the Gospel, that would be a valid interpretation. Taking one line of scripture and making it mean what we want is easy. People skew passages by taking them out of context all the time. Apply that principle, though, to all of scripture, and you will find it doesn't fit.

As for india and the hindu, the religion is peacefull.. the country isnt always

Now you feel my pain

EDIT: Forgot a quote tag

[edit on 10-27-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
...I just want to know why faith in religions have caused our world so much trouble.

The answer is simple. Faith breeds credulity, and the credulous are easily fooled. It's easy for those in power to control credulous people to act as canon fodder for the advancement of wealth and power of those in control.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
because faith, or better the religions are given to us as something to believe. Instead of letting us experience what we should have faith in.

Or better, it's because it is given to us from the ouside, instead of the inside. It's not a feeling, or an experience, rather a mental dilemma..

just my opinion

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Because a faith often insists that it (and only it) is the RIGHT path, and that all others are therefore WRONG and must be destroyed or converted to their way of thinking.

In doing so, it creates an "us vs. them" mentality that sparks prejudice, discrimination, and even warfare...all in the name of their "god" of choice.

It's a childish insistence that you'd have thought we've outgrown after climbing down from the trees....but sadly, it's still very widespread....

Having faith is fine...believing your faith, and ONLY your faith is "right"....well there's the REAL problem.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Having faith is fine...believing your faith, and ONLY your faith is "right"....well there's the REAL problem.

How is it possible to have faith and not simultaneoulsy accept that it is without error? The whole purpose of faith is to form an inpenatrable security blanket.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   

I know this thread isn't meant to make opinion fact, although I just want to know why faith in religions have caused our world so much trouble. I would loved for the religious faithful (not spiritual) to respond by looking at the facts of life... We have enough religion to start wars, but we have not enough to stop them.

That is fundamentally unsound. To all the faithful, please do you, when you look reallyu deep into it, does it really make sense to you?

Actually, yes it is opinion fact for the simple fact that you ask for faith but not spiritual. FACT: the defination of faith in the dictionary is belief, trust, certitude, conviction. To have Faith in God is spiritual. God is a supreme being, a spiritual being of nature. So to know Faith of God can only be explained of spirit. And with faith and trust in God, you understand that you may not understand, but in your heart you seek. It is not faith that has caused such world problems, but actually the lack of. You look for faith in the bible, you will not find it. You look for faith in this world, you will not find it. But if you ask God to guide you and put your trust in Him, not churches built by man, then you have found faith. And in faith is Jesus. If what the churches and others teach you of faith,Jesus, is not well in your heart, then that is not faith. Read for yourself and only in faith of God, trust Him, and then maybe you will see what I see. And yes, if I look really deep inside, it makes sense. Things have to make sense to me or I will feel lost. And trust me I have felt it many times.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

I am lost in faith of something I don't know what but here is my thought...

Forgive me I may not know enough on history...maybe i make sense?

Early in egypt they worship the sun they had Jew slaves. Jews escape slavery create a religion many things similar to egypt's religion. There is no Police/Army back than so how do you scare people from being a savage? By no means is religion the only point to stop anarchy. I belive fear of future events cause religion to be pushed hard with many rules. I belive the torah has 600 and something? Anyway this hardcore push of religion and putting fear in hearts get people in line right but with that fear causes outlash of people not allowing others to put down the particular religion which in turn has made many people die over the years.

Egypt worshiped the Sun, Jew worship the Son...

I do belive in God but what has been created within religion for other reasons of the time? Plus so many different people and religions of the world I donnu.

What is right? What is wrong? I am still lost....

Feel free to debunk or correct my statement I can't remember everything I have read.

well of course I will. I seem to be replying to a lot of them. Well first of all for someone that can't remember history and saying sorry, you have displayed a humble position. A quality that you don't see in many God fearing christians. And Yes, the sun was ruled by a god named raw, and worshiped by egyptians. God Himself says He is the God of all gods. But if the hebrews made this up to cause fear, then they condemned their ownselves to hell. At the time of raw, hebrews were people of God, and God even tells them that they are doomed, as well as we. The only salvation is through Jesus Christ, but yet its not gonna happen for a long time, disscussed in the book of daniel. So you see to make something up to this extent in that they may gain freedom, but yet still suffer. They would have to be idiots, to think that would work. Cause it sure hasn't changed anything in the way people treat each other. And also you might want to know that in God there is no fear, but with fear it is not God. Also if the hebrews made this up, Then they wouldnot have invited murders along with simple liars to have the same fate. Don't worry so much about all the churches or religions and what they teach to be right or wrong. There is some truth in all churches, but not one can truly claim to be the whole truth and no other.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by karie
And Yes, the sun was ruled by a god named raw, and worshiped by egyptians.

Did you mean "Ra"? His actual name was Amen-Ra. Do you suppose it's just coincidence that the name of the Egyptian sun god happens to be the same as the word used by Jews and Christians to end their prayers?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Intentions, Self Preservation, and faith do not always mix well. Something has to adapt and overcome.

If something is blocking you, find a way around it.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Religion gets us in trouble because we let the religious leaders put controls on us. We are all connected, all nature is connected. The world is becoming sick because of relgious ideas that make man above everything and God above man. People then get the idea that we are disconected from nature and can do what we want for our own personal gain.

I couldn't have said it better myself. All religion basically does is divide humanity. Christians will say that they are right and all others are damned, followers of Islam will say that they are right and all others are damned, etc. The division here is obvious. Religion turns us against each other, which is the exact opposite of everything Jesus, Buddha, and all other prophets taught. Jesus was a son of God, as was Buddha, as are all of us. We are all the children of God. This was the point. All of these profits reached human-divine unity and learned the truth about the divinity of the spirit and the power of love. I am pretty sure they didnt want the Crusades or Jihads or theocracies that we have seen throughout history. Everyone taught basically the same things. The texts have just been manipulated to different degrees. Religion ruins society because it is a form of mind control. Not only mind control but soul control. It disconnects man from the spirit and divides humanity.

Faith and spirituality do not get us into trouble, quite the opposite. In my opinion, the reason the world is as horrible as it is, is because we have lost our sense of spirituality. We cannot get in touch with the spirit by going to a church or reading a thousand-times-manipulated book. We can only know spirituality by discovering the spirit for ourselves. The elite like religion because it makes their New World Order goals that much easier. A divided human race, killing each other and desiring power, while the manipulators come out on top. Faith and spirituality are not the problems, religion, ignorance, and fear are.

[edit on 17-11-2005 by xFalconx]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   

respond by looking at the facts of life....

I just want to know why faith in religions have caused our world so much trouble.

Facts?

Yes, please do look around.

It was not religion that developed nukes.

Earth is not being destroyed by religion.

Global warming is not caused by the Pope.

[edit on 25-11-2005 by mr conspiracy]

new topics

top topics

join