It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Piggy banks not P.C. anymore

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Comment by Odium

"SkipShipman, like many people you miss a key point.

The Government didn't stop them using the pigs, the Banks did."

Excuse me but the quote function is not working right now.

The quote is clear, that the "elite," is not necessarily the government, but then again the difference between the government and a bank is quite blurred these days, as for quite a long time. It is highly arguable that when banks have the government print money for the cost of the paper and lend it back to the government on the taxpayers back, they are "more equal."

[edit on 25-10-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
These are two Banks.

In the whole of the United Kingdom.

In fact, Halifax and NatWest are both owned by Royal Bank of Scotland, so in reality it is just one bank.

They are not combined as the largest Bank in the United Kingdom, they are the Second Largest which has not made any indication that they plan on removing the term 'Piggy Bank' nor do any of the smaller banks nor do all banks owned by RBoS.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The P.C. patrol doesn't care about numbers. The issue in the U.K. was a business decision granted, but it will more likely be motivated by a lawsuit in the U.S. The courts here pass out big businesses profits like Halloween candy here. Hell, I could probably convert, say I'm offended by the Disney channel showing Winnie the Pooh cartoons, and cash in myself! (hmmmm :lol

I seem to remember that last Christmas, christian decorations were not allowed in many U.S. schools, but jewish and Muslim holiday decorations were ok. I could really care less, but that just serves to show how P.C. the U.S. is.

You're right that banks here will more likely than not never ban piggy banks, but is that really the point?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Actually, I don't see why any Muslim would have a problem with Christmas, if people check into it they would find that they also celebrate it and if you look over in the Middle East it is one of their most important times of year, just like the birth of any prophet is.

As for Muslim and Jewish Holiday decerations in School's being allowed, I find that highly unlikely. Neither group has a high enough percentage of the population to end up getting them outside of their own private education systems and no School in the U.S. can celebrate any religious holiday.

As for a law suit?

You like anyone else knows the Supreme Court [especailly now] would laugh it out, just as they would in the House of Lords in the U.K.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I am sick and tired of having things changed so that nobody is offended. Actually you could say that all of this offends me! I can't buy silhouette pistol targets anymore because blacks are offended if I use black colored targets, blue gets the police unions in a tizzy, red is the indians, green are the Irish and any human shape at all is the anti-gun nuts. I can't have a Christmas or Easter break, Halloween is Satanic and I am waiting for St. Valentine's Day to be banned because of religion or it is too violent with Cupid slinging all of those damn arrows around. I can't celebrate the 4th of July or Memorial Day because of the anti-war freaks, New Year's Day is almost an endangered species, because sooner or later someone is going to connect the calendar with Christianity.

I have one more semester to go in a liberal college if I can survive it. I am on a first name basis with the Dean of Students. I'm on the Gay and Lesbian gang's hit list, haven't ticked off the Feminists yet, got to work on that can't be seen showing favortism.

To quote the very wise but very ficticious Captain James T. Kirk "The best defense is a good offense so I intend to start offending right away"

People need to get a thicker skin. Sticke and Stones etc.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
JimC, they didn't ask the bank to ban it.

The Bank decided to ban it in case they were turning customers away to other banks who did not use the pig icon.

In fact, those who used the other banks probably did have a thick skin since nobody has ever complained about the Piggy Bank icon...

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

As for a law suit?

You like anyone else knows the Supreme Court [especailly now] would laugh it out, just as they would in the House of Lords in the U.K.

The case doesn't have to make it to the supreme court, most corporations tend to settle suites of this nature to avoid negative publicity. Opinions matter, even if they're wrong.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is so foolish, it is almost unbelievable.
If the Muslims don't like it-they can go to another bank.
Frankly I am sick and tired of bending over backwards to appease them.
Shall we cancel Christmas because the Muslims don't like it?
If those Muslims don't like it, they can move to a nice Muslim country and deal with their BS.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
mrmonsoon, maybe you should bother to check your information before posting?

NO MUSLIM COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS.
THEY DID GO TO OTHER BANKS.
THE BANK DECIDED TO CHANGE THEIR POLICY AND STOP USING THE SYMBOL IN THE ATTEMPT TO GET MORE CUSTOMERS.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Guys, don't fall for this crap. This is called Propoganda, the intentions of this little slice is to further enrage you against the Muslim Community. Yes, they may be 'banning Piggy Banks' but you can bet your arse they aren't doing it to appease any groups. We all know how banks look out for your religous interests.

Take a real good hard look at who owns the Major Media Companies and then if you're sharp, you may see why we are constantly being bombarded with Anti-Islamic Smears. The bottom line is that the entirety of the Western World is Embroiled in a 2000 year old Civil War, and this is the same kind of crap town Criers would shout out from the battlements as your children marched off to fight it.
I love it, everybody gets bent out of shape over Piggy Banks, then they go the grocery store and buy Kosher Foods without batting an eye.
Jews Good, Muslims Bad... Poppycock.
Read Over this thread,
www.abovetopsecret.com...
then ask yourself why there is only an outcry only against Muslims over silly things like Piggy Banks, when there is a multi-billion dollar State Regulated Religous Taxation of the very food you eat...
We love to demonize people, I mean come on, Freedom Fries? Don't fall victim to hate, or if you must, hate everyone equally at least.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well done, twitchy.

You get today's award and a nice gold sticker to be one of the very few people to see passed the crap that this whole thread and article are.

In fact, I give you two for your good work.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The article doesn't say anyone complained, but it doesn't say they didn't either. Something was said to someone to get the ball rolling on this. It may not have been a formal complaint, but something more likely that not set this in motion.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Do you know what really irritates me? Not just the fact that we have to do things to avoid upsetting people like Jews, Muslims etc but the fact that the door dosent swing both ways.
We allow Muslim people to practice their religeon however they please, they can build Mosques and worship god in any manner they want but Saudi Arabia say they will never allow a Christian Church to be built in their country, but we are expected to allow Saudi Muslims the right to build a Mosque if they want so they can worship Mohammed and Allah. They say say that they will never allow it because Saudi Arabia is the centre of the Muslim religeon etc. But if i objected to the building of a Mosque and stated that England and St Pauls Cathederal were the centre of my religeon ( Church of England - Protestant ) the PC brigade would have a field day with it, labaling me a racist etc. The double standard there is un believable.

Link

Link

Link

Im sick to death of pandering to these Politicaly Correct idiots.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Jews do not eat pork either..
Last year I went to at least 15 stores tring to buy some christmas cards to send to fundie family members and there were none.
G-d help us as our traditions and rights are being stripped away, one by one..
AA and PC started it, then it got to smokers, what is next?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yadboy, NewsMax would have a field day if someone had complained and this happened as would the BNP since neither are bothering to mention anyone did, it is likely nobody did.

Janus, the reason for that is to show that the United Kingdom and our Goverment are better than the Saudi Government who are highly abusive to non-muslim's in their Nation - even though their actions go directly against what Allah and the Prophet would have wanted. Which is why places like Iran have Churches, etc.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
in our school in cumbria, governors are seriously considering banning pork and all other pig meats from school because some muslim parents complained the canteen sold sausages.

The thing that most annoys me is that it is a catholic school, how do they have the right to ban pork on the basis of muslim beliefs when it is a catholic school?

Also my aunty was told off in a restaurant the other day by a waitress for ordering a black coffee.

its getting ludicrous...in fact its already ludicrous

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Yadboy, NewsMax would have a field day if someone had complained and this happened as would the BNP since neither are bothering to mention anyone did, it is likely nobody did.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Newsmax can only quote what is actually said to them. The bank doesn't want to point fingers and say "Awww, we had to change it because of THEM!" It make the bank look like the did it for the "right" reasons on the surface.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Also my aunty was told off in a restaurant the other day by a waitress for ordering a black coffee.

OK what that means please I am not sure about this, I believe black coffee is coffee without cream. Right?

So how is supposed to be call now? I am curious.

BTW what the banks are doing is using tactics to attract more people from one particular group to become members.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It's amazing how many people read a couple words on a story and then get in a huff with out even reading the whole thing.

If it was a "holy cow savings account" and the bank changed the name to be sensitive towards Hindu people, you guys would probably be laughing instead of being in an uproar.

In these cases "political correctness" comes from capitalism.

Here in the USA, the media no longer talks about Christmas Holidays.

They say "Happy holidays" or "Season's Greetings." December is not only for Christian holidays. To wish your TV viewers a Merry Christmas excludes those who celebrate Kwanzaa and Hanukkah. The Media does not want to dis include non-Christians in their well wishing.They want everyones money, not just Christians.
But I have to admit calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree is silly. You don't call the Seven Candles for Kwanzaa the Seven Candles for Holidays. That just makes no sense.

The thing that most annoys me is that it is a catholic school,

Why would Muslims attend a Catholic School?

Guys, don't fall for this crap. This is called Propaganda, the intentions of this little slice is to further enrage you against the Muslim Community. Yes, they may be 'banning Piggy Banks' but you can bet your arse they aren't doing it to appease any groups. We all know how banks look out for your religous interests.

Exactly, one only has to read the title of the 'news' article.
"Muslims win toy pigs ban"
Muslims were not lobbying to change the icon use of a pig in Two banks.

I can't believe how many people are coming forward and saying whats next? They will take Christmas? Get real, read the article 'they' aren't doing anything. It is the bank who only wants to get more money.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Why would Muslims attend a Catholic School?

i don't know or care why, i'm more bothered about them forcing their religious beliefs on a school based around a different religion

[edit on 25-10-2005 by owzitgarn]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join