It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Piggy banks not P.C. anymore

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
In an effort to be sensitive to Muslim customers some banks have decided to discontinue use of the piggy bank for childrens savings accounts.

www.newsmax.com
The United Kingdom's Halifax and NatWest banks have banned the ubiquitous time-honored symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the British paper Daily Express reports.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture views the pig to be an impure animal.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To me this is just insane. I have no problem being sensitive to a person's religious/cultural beliefs, but where do you draw the line? Are restaurants going to stop serving pork, lest they offend someone? Do we have to stop production of the movie "Babe" on dvd, if might offend a Muslim to see a talking pig. Orthodox jews don't eat pork, why no outcry from that community? If someone wants to be a Muslim that their business, but I refuse to change my lifestyle to suit them, they sure aren't about to change for me, nor do I expect them to.

external image

Related News Links:
www.thesun.co.uk
www.coxandforkum.com
www.bnp.org.uk

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This thread is probably not P.C anymore either...

Hmmm, lets place bets on what will be changed next to make the muslims happy? maybe Christmas?

CX

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So i gather all pork products will soon be removed from the shops then so as not to offend anyone?

No different from when they started ranting about "black"boards" in the classrooms here not being PC. No-one moaned about the poor old "white" chalk that was being used and sometimes agreessively rubbed out on it!
The list will go on and on thanks to the idiots in the PC brigade.

My kids will always use thier p***y bank, as well as thier "Little Miss Sushine" one too, unless i get a complaint from the RSPCMM.......the Royal Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Mr Men!

CX.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by CX]

CX

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If you do a search in Google you'll find that there have been many incidents of things relating to Christmas already banned in fear of upsetting non Christians. Luckily in most of the cases, people of other religeons in the area thought it as stupid as the rest of us!

Calv.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by CX]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
ive heard that St.Georges flag is next, there is a story that is was taken down in a prison cause it "offended" a muslim...

My question is this, if Islam offends someone, can they ban that?
im sorry, but im getting abit annoyed that things are being banned to make muslims happy so the extremists don't go on a bombing spree.

Next the UK will be changed to Mecca..

As you can tell, this story has pissed me off

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Here in the USA, the media no longer talks about Christmas Holidays.

Instead they use something along the lines of Winter Holidays.

Interesting to note that the Federal Government still lists Christmas as one of the Federal Holidays.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well muslins are not the only ones that do not eat pig, in our Christian Religion the Seventh day adventist do not eat pig either, I know my father is one.

They think that Jesus took demons from a curse man and put them inside a group of pigs so now pigs are evil since that time in Jesus days.

Or that is what the church used to tell us children in Sabbath school.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I wonder if there was ever any complaints to the banks? Probably not. This is just the banks wanting to attract more customers. Not really any different then how supermarkets have "parent parking" along side the law enforced Handicapped Parking. This is just how banks and other big business works. They try to please everyone so they can get everyones money.
Lets be clear on what is happening here.

These things are not being pulled from the shelves. What is happening here is that British Banks have decided to ban the use of the piggy bank symbolism in their own banks.
This is about money not political correctness or Islam.
This is not going to stop us from going out and buying a pack of bacon.
Don't panic.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The jellied actions of spineless organizations.

Decisions like this mark the decline and fall of our culture and society. When the dominant traditions have to be removed in order to not "offend" minority sensabilities. It happens not just in religious actions but in many other regions as well. Interesting how other cultures don't seem to have any such concerns.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I wonder if there was ever any complaints to the banks?

That's a good point. I don't remember seeing any mention of complaints from anyone setting this in motion. But I wouldn't doubt someone said something. The only reason I even posted this was to so I could vent about everyone jumping through hoops for the extremists. I would say that most Muslims could care less if non-Muslims use piggy banks or eat pork chop biscuits at Hardee's. That's what's so insane about this, any educated person probably could care less, and anyone who cares still wants all the infidels dead. So why bother to change our lifestyle? Think I'm gonna make me a shirt w/ piglet on the front, and the back will be a quote from Pulp Fiction, "Bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good..."

[edit on 10/25/2005 by yadboy]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
So...two banks decide to do this?

What's the big deal? Is it only me that doesn't seem to give a damn?

Is it every bank? No.
Does it mean people will stop using the term? No.

Why is this on ATSNN?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
As people may recall from George Orwell, "All animals are equal except some animals are more equal than others."

Dictionary of Cultural Literacy

A proclamation by the pigs who control the government in the novel Animal Farm, by George Orwell. The sentence is a comment on the hypocrisy of governments that proclaim the absolute equality of their citizens but give power and privileges to a small elite.

In this case the traditional savings bank pig has removed itself as a bone of contention, while the world continues into PC paralysis. Eventually no one will be able to say anything at all, unless you are one of those who are "more equal."

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
In fact, since we are here to "Deny Ignorance" I best get to business.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture views the pig to be an impure animal.

In fact, it is not just the Islamic Religion which does't eat pork, there are donominations of Christianity which don't and also Jewish people do not. [Thus who live by the Kashrut diatry rules.]

Officials acted after a Muslim complained about pig-shaped stress relievers delivered to the council in the run-up to the Islamic festival of Ramadan.

NewsMax, seem to forget to point out that the items they ask to be removed where being sent to Muslim members of the Council and they only asked for the items to be removed while Ramadan was going on and they didn't ask for it to stay after this.

I doubt the Council would send or sell items, which were insulting to Christian's or send them to the members of the council? If this man/woman, was elected by the people he should be treated the same as any other.

As for the actions of Halifax and NatWest banks, they are doing this on the basis that they will [hopefully] attract Muslim and Jewish business because they have removed the Pigs they used to send out with childrens trust funds. For those who do not remember, Halifax used to send out a pig depending on how much money you had in your account and you could get a set [family] of pigs if your child saved enough.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
SkipShipman, like many people you miss a key point.

The Government didn't stop them using the pigs, the Banks did.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

So...two banks decide to do this?

What's the big deal? Is it only me that doesn't seem to give a damn?

Is it every bank? No.
Does it mean people will stop using the term? No.

Why is this on ATSNN?

To me this is a bigger issue than piggy banks. This is about changing our way of life and culture because were afraid of offending someone. Granted this is a very minor change institued by a private organization, but it is indicative of a larger social issue. There's always going to be something around that offends someone. You can't change everything to suit everyone. It's an impossible dream, or nightmare. There are thing people do or say that offend me (less and less everyday, I'm pretty hard to offend), but I don't except someone to change their lifestyle/culture to suit my belief system. Why should I?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yes, yadboy, but why has the bank done it?

To get more customers from these ethnic groups. They do not care if it offends someone, it is business.

As for the Council issue, they should have sat and talked to the guy instead of removing everything for the time being. If he sued the House of Lords would have raped him for the law suit and he would be paying for the rest of his life.

However, the Council is an internal public office, whose job it is, is to protect everyone no matter their belief to the best of their ability and I see no problem with it. I actually think if it was something insulting to Christian's it would have never been allowed in there in the first place.

In no way, is the Goverment banning pork or pig based items or even getting involved.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I never assumed there would be a ban on pork. I was just try to get the ball rolling on the discussion. The U.S. can't ban pork, congressional bills are full of it!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It's the United Kingdom mate, not the United States we are talking about.

:|

We are two different Nation, honestly...

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Obviously. But you can't honestly say that you think this mentality is confined to the U.K., the U.S. is still the leader in P.C. craziness. It's only a matter of time till the U.S. does something equally ineffectual. Mate.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
yadboy, I find that highly doubtful due to the basic difference in numbers.

There are about 2million Muslim's in the United Kingdom out of 59million people.

There are about 2.8million Muslim's in the United States out of nearly 300million people.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join