It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A guitar solo so good that it makes you.......

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

No. It wasn't Joe Satriani. I'm glad that Wikipedia remembers it the way I do:

The infamous climax cutting head battle scene has been widely popularized over the internet by guitarists who are fans of Steve Vai. [1] Most of the battle is played by Vai, except for Eugene's blues parts at the beginning of the duel which are played by Ry Cooder and can be heard on Vai's album "The Elusive Light and Sound"

Yes, of course you're right, it was Ry Cooder and not Satriani who did Machio's guitar pieces in the movie; I misremembered or maybe just confused information in my head about the subject. My apologies to all. However, it can be said that Satriani did have some influence on the movie, if only indirectly; Satriani was Vai's guitar teacher.

n 1974, he studied music with jazz guitarist Billy Bauer and with reclusive jazz pianist Lennie Tristano. The technically demanding Tristano greatly influenced Satriani's playing. Satriani also began teaching guitar, with his most notable student, at this time, being fellow Long Island native Steve Vai.

In 1978 Satriani moved to Berkeley, California to pursue a music career. Not long after his arrival he resumed teaching. His most notable California students included: Kirk Hammett (Metallica), David Bryson (Counting Crows), Kevin Cadogan (Third Eye Blind), Larry LaLonde (Primus), Alex Skolnick (Testament), Phil Kettner (Laaz Rockit) and Charlie Hunter. Source

I think the erroneous info about Satriani's participation in the movie came from a website I was looking at the other day; I think somewhere in the back of my head I always knew it was Cooder from having watched the movie so many times and seeing the end credits, I just had a "brain fart." Sorry again for posting the wrong
info.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Joe Satriani with Lennie Tristano? Now that I didn't know. Cool factoid! You can't tell, really, which is, I guess, a tribute to both Satriani and Tristano. And you'd have to have real balls to approach that guy for lessons, I think, especially as a guitar player. Dense, dense harmonies. I mean, there just aren't enough strings, or fingers! If I had to pick someone who sounds like he might have been influenced by Lennie Tristano, it would have to be Ben Monder. I've only heard a little bit of one of his albums, but I was blown away by a blizzard of notes in what sounded like three or four different lines all being played at once and all in different registers.

Satriani's cool, but for some reason he doesn't quite excite me as much as some other players, notably Steve Vai, who I think is often best when he's got someone to hold him in check and make him play rock and roll - Dave Lee Roth being the best example.

And for the sake of the thread... I do sometimes play air slide to the Lowell George solo on Tripe Face Boogie. That rocks.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

I'm pretty sure the classical piece concerned is a Mozart etude of some sort,

[edit on 3-12-2006 by rich23]

Its Mr. Niccolo P!

Ahhh, I learn't the whole piece a few years back. At least I remember No.16! Ooooo, that one is a killer....

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberfenix
The guitar solo in Led Zeppelins' "Since I've Been Loving You".

Yes, notice how closely mimics the phrasing and dynamics of Robert Plant's vocal in the preceding verse. And what incredible melodic sense.

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
Moody Blue's "Nights in White Satin". Aweeeeeeeeeeeesome.

Sorry to be a smartypants, but it's actually a flute (played by John Lodge) or else a Mellotron pretending to be one.

My own all-time favourite solo is by Andy Summers, on the Police track Driven to Tears. I think there's more musicological (as opposed to guitar-playing) technique displayed in that solo than in any of the contenders mentioned so far. But the real reason I like it so much is that it's so angry. I believe it was recorded in the aftermath of a fistfight with Sting.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
"Keeper of the Seven keys" - Helloween

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Fermented Offal Discharge- Necrophagist
Almost anything by Necrophagist has crazy technical bass/guitar solo's. Some are a little easier on the ears though. Also enjoy listening to Michael Angelo Batio and John Petrucci.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Man you folks have put up a lot of good sound! A lot of what I like has been mentioned, so I'll throw in a couple more that I enjoy:

Intro to Sweet Jane by Lou Reed (the long version)

that wild riff in Green Grass and High Tides by The Outlaws

Just about any guitarwork on the Fragile album by Yes

Heartbreaker from Led Zeppelin II

ahhhhh, child of the '70's I be, with the memories of days gone past...

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
i'm biased towards frank so i will only name three

frank zappa
'black napkins'
'watermelon in easter hay'
'willie the pimp'

those songs are beautiful...

lets see what else i can think of.
buckethead
'jordan'
'night of the slunk'-------i think that was it

bb king
'blues in g'

a challenge....make sure you are at home with your rig....play this vid and don't pick up your guitar to start rocking....

this improv is the SHIZZ....my favorite solo of all time

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Detroit Rock City

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Lately I've been lovin' the guitar in The Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold. I'm not even a big fan of that band, but the guitar and drums in that song are absolutely phenominal.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by KJay
The end solo for Eagles's Hotel California! I just love it so much.

bingo!just wrote a lot about brett garsed and other players but i lost it all!

In the end i came back to this one solo,its the only solo i can always hear and get a tingle down my spine-it couldnt be played bettter

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

that hurt my ears to listen too!dude with a lot of respect that inprov was pent boxes and glaringly out of tune note selection-dynamics where lost and i have seen more passion in a tin of tuna.

Put vai up there back in time and it would be FUN,Some of you fusion lovers have to be deaf

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaruseleh

yeahh there not bad players,some pretty crazy sounding playing

forgot to mention Nevermores Loomis,not a fan of the band but this chap is a monster of a player-great tone and fantastic chops filled with melody,great timing and wide vibrato

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
It was November Rain, but I think I overdosed on it a bit and it's slid down the rankings.

The solos from November Rain still make me get in air guitar mode regardless of where I am. They still give me goosebumps. Slash is so on point with these.

On another note, Steve Vai's intro piece from the G3 concert in Denver consistently leaves me mesmirized. I amlost find myself drifing into bouts of uncontrollable maniacal laughter as well. Its just THAT good.

[edit on 9/12/07 by Don Wahn]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Can't decide between Frank Zappa's Inca Roads or Jane's Addiction's Three Days

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Never really got into the air guitar, but two off the top of my head:

Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam

Spill the Blood - Slayer

The opening of Spill the blood isn't difficult or anything, but when the power chords kick in, then the little riff..... just gets the blood pumping.

Something with less adrenalin, but just gets ya is the guitar in Yellow Ledbetter.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hangar-18 by Megadeth and pretty much anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The end of "The Blood is Love" by Queens of the Stone Age

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I can put in any Steve Vai album and sit back and enjoy having my face melted!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join