It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi's approve by 78% yes to 21% no on a new constitution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
That’s a higher vote of public confidence than the last half dozen US Presidents got to become elected. This is fantastic news, this says that not only do the Iraqi’s want Democracy, they overwhelmingly want Democracy. Another telling story here is that the Sunni’s approved and voted en masse for this constitution. Why is that important? The Sunni’s made up the majority of the insurgency.

This is a MAJOR Iraqi victory people, don’t overlook this. This is a very big deal in Iraqi’s history.

New Constitution

Fourteen provinces dominated by Shiite Muslims and Kurds approved the draft charter, including Baghdad and Basra, Sunni-dominated Anbar and Salahadin provinces rejected it by 96% and 82% respectively. The final result depended on the pivotal, ethnically mixed Nineveh, which rejected the constitution by 44.92 to 55%, less than the requisite two-thirds no majority for defeating the charter.

Turnout was 63% with extensive Sunni Muslims participation unlike their boycott of the January election. Had they achieved a two-third majority of nos in three provinces, the charter would have gone back to the drawing board. The next date on Iraq's voting calendar is the general election on Dec. 15.

Additional related links and resources:

www.cnn.com...
www.int.iol.co.za...
www.sciencedaily.com...
www.bloomberg.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

VIVA IRAQ!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Wonder if they used diebold computers and software for the voting??
I wonder

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Senser]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
LOL, I am waiting for the "Chad" debate and recount

I bet Fallujah turns into Iraq's Florida and everything needs to be recounted.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
That’s a higher vote of public confidence than the last half dozen US Presidents got to become elected. This is fantastic news, this says that not only do the Iraqi’s want Democracy, they overwhelmingly want Democracy. Another telling story here is that the Sunni’s approved and voted en masse for this constitution. Why is that important? The Sunni’s made up the majority of the insurgency.

That's an overwhelming majority!
Somebody made the point the other day that, despite being the bulk of the insurgency, the Sunni were supporting this election, and that it signals a real break in the insurgency. I think that was an excellent insight.

The December 15 election is for members of the National Assembly, correct?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The December 15 election is for members of the National Assembly, correct?

Not exactly, but sort of, they were voting on their constitution. Although it was not for actual people, it’s for the system that will allow them to vote for actual people who they really want (democracy) and not a dictator. Something they never had before.

That’s why I used the word "confidence" in my prior post when likening it to our Presidential elections. You know, whenever we vote for a President, we are basically voting for a particular persons representation of our constitution, so in that fashion its exactly the same.

In any way you think about this, its amazing news for the Iraqis, ALL OF THEM. I just cant portray the significance of this enough. The naysayer’s wont grasp how important this past week was unfortunately

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
On the surface, and to the world, it appears they want Democracy. To someone like me, the fact that many more votes than people were present, indicates something else. But hey...Its all good.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
On the surface, and to the world, it appears they want Democracy. To someone like me, the fact that many more votes than people were present, indicates something else. But hey...Its all good.

I don’t believe that. That’s just naysayer speculation that the numbers don’t add up. There are people in Iraq whose interests are not represented by a democracy, and that’s where this hogwash comes from. We all forget we are talking about a place were many people are off any kind of record keeping system that news agencies can accurately pull from, the numbers are simply too grey to make statements like that. And let’s not forget we have HUGE forces of propaganda on both sides working hard to make the numbers show entirely different stories. Who knows what reality is regarding these numbers?

But it still remains an undisputable fact that this election was a success, the Iraqi's themselves are reporting it this way. It’s also fact that the Sunni's decided to support this constitution and vote for it. This alone makes this event, regardless of perspective, immensely successful and important to the Iraqi's.

I really feel, if I haven’t conveyed this yet, that October 13th and the 15th are major historic events for Iraq, and at the very least the turning point of this whole business. Don’t forget the ISF ran a totally secure and safe election, which in itself is very telling.

See this post for the security facts:

VIVA IRAQ!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well Skippy, you are right- my contempt is showing- It is a good thing that those who want democracy will get it. I cant help but thinking about how we went about doing this...So many murders....So much loss of life...so many lies...bla bla bla...
We simply cant dismiss this. I cant.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As much as I am pro USA and Pro Iraqi freedom, I think this whole war was handled like a train wreck. But the bottom line is it happened and we are there and it needs to be fixed.

Having said that, these newest events are fantastic news and the biggest step for a better Iraq, nothing to date has been as important as these events. And I dont just mean better than today, I mean better than ever, pre invasion.

I worry for my nemiseseses on these boards, I dont know how they will handle the consistent good news coming from Iraq (denial I bet) that stems from such historic advances such as these.

Only time will tell...

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'd vote a for a beret wearing wet cabbage if someone told me it would stop the killing.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by uknumpty
I'd vote a for a beret wearing wet cabbage if someone told me it would stop the killing.

And you know what uknumpty? The Iraqis can do just that if they wish now. Its all up to them as of last week.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think you missed the sarcasm...

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I think you missed the sarcasm...

I got the sarcasm, I just hijacked it to advance my agenda!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Well, lets look at it this way, you have Iraqi surrounded by neighbors who do not like the concept of democracy. You have all the extremists who do not want to see democracy spread in the middle east, and then you also have the Sunnis that had power for over thirty years and are now trying to regain their powers and grip on the country. I’d say approving a constitution under those circumstances is one hell of an achievement.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If that's the case you'd be better off giving "Understanding Sarcasm" evening classes than wasting your time on here.

Just when things were getting better for the Iraqis your buddies want to use their country to stage attacks on their neighbours. What bad luck and bad timing. Oh well looks like they'll have to stay even if the people want them out.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by uknumpty]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Just when things were getting better for the Iraqis your buddies want to use their country to stage attacks on their neighbours. What bad luck and bad timing. Oh well looks like they'll have to stay even if the people want them out.

Uhh... can someone say speculation and opinion? Because that entirely what that is.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
So please explain if the US and UK decide to attack either country where the launch come from.

Why bother coming from afar when you're right next door?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm confused when it comes to the actual content of this constitution. These two articles seem like they directly contradict each other and will be a point of contention in the future.

Article 7. A) Islam is the official religion of the State and is to be considered a source of legislation.

Article 12. All Iraqis are equal in their rights without regard to gender, sect, opinion, belief, nationality, religion, or origin, and they are equal before the law.

Some future work for the new Iraqi Supreme Court perhaps?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

So please explain if the US and UK decide to attack either country where the launch come from.

Why bother coming from afar when you're right next door?

A) Have you seen our military budget numpty?
B) Have you see our governement?
C) See above.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ray Davies
I'm confused when it comes to the actual content of this constitution. These two articles seem like they directly contradict each other and will be a point of contention in the future.

Article 7. A) Islam is the official religion of the State and is to be considered a source of legislation.

Article 12. All Iraqis are equal in their rights without regard to gender, sect, opinion, belief, nationality, religion, or origin, and they are equal before the law.

Some future work for the new Iraqi Supreme Court perhaps?

Good find and point Ray Davies, I think maybe they were trying to build in some flexability. I do think its too loose however. But that says democracy better than multiple interpetations and the possibility of a supreme court!?!

new topics

top topics

join