It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Service, to be or not to be?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
The last thing we need to do is to give the yobby little ****heads a skill in being able to use a weapon.

Frankly any idiot can use a weapon, come on I can use atleast 4 difrent types and I recieved very little training at first.

If yobbish kids act this way outside the armed forces, they will be the same within the services.

Thats a misconception, once inside an agency which has power over them they will listen or be punished.

The idea that this will work is preposterous. The armed forces has become softer on recruits and service personel in the last 10 years (even more so after incidents like Deepcut). Some people will not understand the idea of discipline and respect because they don't have to understand these values. They will continue to be happy with their lives, getting smoked up, drinking etc... and eventually having a few children of their own to cause the same social problems that they themselves have caused whilst living in culture where individuals are financially better off on welfare with children than to actual work for a living.

Thats another misconception, I've known complete idiots to be perfectly good cadets inside the SCC , the miltiary would do the same.
Its a shield, a support and a family.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Tory youth plan may be compulsory
School-leavers could be forced to do community work under a Conservative government, David Cameron has said.

He said full details had yet to be worked out but options included a compulsory scheme lasting four months, with lottery cash one funding option.

I must say for the ''bad'' rap the Tories get, Mr Cameron is indeed giving radical reform a good go, this new ''community based national service'' sounds interesting, and very similar to what I'm currently up to, although the proposed scheme will only last ''four months'' under the proposals.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I must say for the ''bad'' rap the Tories get, Mr Cameron is indeed giving radical reform a good go

- Oh come on Wizard.
What on earth is in the slightest bit "radical" about yet another tory coming along and suggesting some form or another of national service?

It's been a typical tory theme practically since National Service ended.......and every single time they come up with the idea of a 'quasi national service' it always falls down on the same 2 issues.

1) Funding (although I see Cameron thinks he can raid the national lottery for this; a huge mistake IMO)
2) How do you 'force' kids that don't want to know if it isn't actually a 'real' national service?

This is far from "radical", it is the same old tory pandering to their self loathing Alf Garnet working class types and their colonel Blimp Telegraph readers who think 'short sharp shocks!' and all the rest of that out dated simplistic thinking is 'just what this country needs!'
(......etc etc with the tory cliches).

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I was made to do CCF at private school for about a year. I found out that if you point an empty gun at the cadet leader and say you’re not prepared to do this anymore you get lots of extra free time. This is what I did, and the school did nothing (yeah I could of been expelled but there was to it than that, which I’m not going into to).

If the government made me do national service then I would do the same again (though this time I might be wanting to make more of a political statement!!!).
Alternatively I could use my military skills to set up a British Resistance and we could direct our violence at anyone except civilians. This way we might become quite popular with the public, and before you know it you would have a full blown civil war on your hands (with Westminster Abbey being the "no mans land").

If you want more people in the army then pay them better for dying for 600 old peoples dirty foreign policy. And if you want some of the things the army teaches then you incorporate that into the education system directly. I am happy to serve all country accept one very tiny bit: Number 10 Downing Street, Westminster Abbey. These people may try to rule over me, but I and not them are the master of my own fate (that's till or if they my fate into their hands directly).
And there should be no need to do that as I’m not hurting anyone leading my productive life as I do. My advice to the state would be try not to kick a fight or you’ll never know who might get hurt.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
I was made to do CCF at private school for about a year. I found out that if you point an empty gun at the cadet leader and say you’re not prepared to do this anymore you get lots of extra free time. This is what I did, and the school did nothing (yeah I could of been expelled but there was to it than that, which I’m not going into to).

With respect liberal I have had this done to me and its not pleasent, perhaps you would have prefered if the positions where reversed?

Simply being forced to go to the CCF which I agree is a bag of #e (SCC All the way orah!), theres no need to point a weapon (loaded or unloaded) in anyones face.

Childish and idiotic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join