It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA Woman's soccer team shut down!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I was going to put this in important current events but I was afraid the mods might see it otherwise since it was "sports".

"Just five days before the start of the Women's World Cup, the world's top professional soccer league for women closed its doors."

Now we'll never win approval for Iraq...

sports.yahoo.com...

[Edited on 16-9-2003 by ktprktpr]

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:10 AM
link   
WUSA folds just five days before Women's World Cup

September 15, 2003
CHICAGO (AFP) - Just five days before the start of the Women's World Cup, the world's top professional soccer league for women closed its doors.

Citing steep financial losses, the Women's United Soccer Association announced its decision to suspend operations in a Monday conference call, ending months of speculation about the young league's future.

"We were faced with an awful dilemma, and the board felt we should shut down and do this outside of bankruptcy," said John Hendricks, chairman of the WUSA board of governors and a founder of the league.

Mismanagement, corruption or just not enough active soccer moms?

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's not enough soccer Moms because the War on Terror (War in Trouble) has denied what ounce of femmine aspect in America! Conspiracy, damnit!!! Think about it, who controls the League? The advertisers. Who controls the advertisers? A small section of psyop CIA! ARgggh!

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Does men's soccer make money in the US?

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 02:23 AM
link   
How can you shut a world cup team down?? its impossible

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Does men's soccer make money in the US?

I'm thinking it probably doesn't. We used to have a pro men's soccer team in Detroit, but I haven't heard anything about it in a few years, so I assume it went under. I don't think it's necessarily related to the popularity of women's pro sports in general; the WNBA seems to be doing all right after a couple of rocky years.

new topics

top topics

join