It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Rosa Parks passes away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Rosa Parks, one of the main names pertaining to the civil rights movement passed away today at the age of 92. She was a pioneer when most were afraid to speak their minds.Her arrest triggered a 381-day boycott of the bus system by blacks that was organized by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Parks earned the Presidential Medal of Freedom and Congressional Gold Medal.

news.yahoo.com
Parks, 92, reportedly died around 7 p.m. Monday at St. John Hospital on Detroit's east side.

Parks' refusal to give up her bus seat to a white man in Montgomery, Ala., in 1955 landed her in jail and sparked a bus boycott that is considered the start of the modern civil rights movement. The bus is on display at the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a sad day but one that was to be expected soon. Many have done their parts to further the civil rights but few are as well known as Rosa was. She will be remembered her as someone who never raised her voice but was a well known voice of the civil rights movement.

[edit on 24-10-2005 by K_OS]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
She wasn't the first to do it, she was only the most famous. She doesn't deserve all the attention she has received over the years, in my opinion. Why did she refuse to give up her seat? She was "too tired," and NOT protesting!

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

cmdrkeenkid

She doesn't deserve all the attention she has received over the years, in my opinion. Why did she refuse to give up her seat? She was "too tired," and NOT protesting!

Oddly, many heroes are made simply simply because they acted out of necessity - not because they desired to stand for a cause.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
What does it matter? It's disgusting we'd ever make someone ride in the back of the bus due to the color of their skin.

land of the free... psha.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
real heroes are not the sports figures, or TV cops, or soldiers, police or firefighters as a rule...afterall they are doing what they are paid to do...a real hero is a person who does something because it needs to be done and in doing so puts themselves on the line. By that defination, Rosa Parks was a true hero. And she did something far more noble than play sports or kill on command, or run into a burning building (though for my money a firefighter is far more heroic than a soldier)...her act lit a spark that changed things for an entire people and this nation for the better and that is truely heroic.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
...a real hero is a person who does something because it needs to be done

Right on, you tell em!

Although going above and beyond ones duty, has created some heros also.
The main trait remains the same, and to use some famous words;
"Git er done!"
Fits the bill just right.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
K_Os, I find your introduction to be heavily bias and mis-informed. Speaking as someone who has studied this area of American History heavily and has family members who actively got involved and died for it, Rosa Parks didn't do that much.

She, and it is a shame to those great leaders, was not a decent person. It can be seen through her use of law suits against anyone that used her name - even in a positive light. It can be seen in the fact, she didn't do a great action or even keep getting involved. Even over the last few years or decade where was she?

Where was she in the 1980's when the problems were cropping back up again?

Yet...World over, more is known about this woman who played a two-bit-part, than is known about the Black Panther's, Malcolm X and I would bet Dr. M. L. King...let alone the Native American activists. Can anyone name one of those?

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
You can't deny Rosa Parks her place in history because other's go unnoticed. She did spark the boycott that led to the civil rights movement. While her role was very, very small it was still significant because it sparked the movement, without it maybe there wouldn't have been a movement.

She was no Fred Hampton. He gave his life for equality and he's not as well known as she is and that can frustrating...i feel you, but there's no need to piss on her for who history chooses to remember.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
You can't deny Rosa Parks her place in history because other's go unnoticed. She did spark the boycott that led to the civil rights movement. While her role was very, very small it was still significant because it sparked the movement, without it maybe there wouldn't have been a movement.

Spark?

The Civil Rights Movement, began in the 1800's, long before she was born and still exists to this day. She did one action that did not bring equality and in fact Brown v. Board of Education, 347 U.S. 483 was the turning point in the 1950's, done in 1954 prior to her Bus Boycott.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Okay sure...I'm not going to argue the significance of the boycott with you because you know that it brought Martin Luther King into the spotlight and amplified the fight times 3 million. And, just 10 later after speaches and marching and boycotting and more marching--it finally gave birth to the Civil Rights Amendment of 1964. All of which was sparked by Rosa Parks going to jail.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Regardless of motive. Is I heard on the news: 'She was an ordinary person that chose to do something extraordinary". She may not have been the first, but she did inspire many and that is the legacy we should be talking about

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
What does it matter? It's disgusting we'd ever make someone ride in the back of the bus due to the color of their skin.

land of the free... psha.

Dont know about you, but I prefer the back of the bus. If it's in a crash, thats where I want to be!

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Civil Rights Amendment of 1964? [I assume you mean Act PL 88-352.]

You must be joking.

Martin Luther King Jr. was already an important person prior to Edgar Nixon inviting him to do a speech and he would have still came fourth as a highly public figure without Rosa Parks.

You like anyone else that has studied knows the Act did very little - just like the first Brown case did, which was more important. In fact Earl Warren and the eight other members of the Supreme Court [which I doubt many can name] did a much more important job.

The actions of Rosa Parks, were nothing new. People had done the same thing before, however she got lucky that Edgar Nixon was the person organising it all.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Martin Luther King Jr. was already an important person prior to Edgar Nixon inviting him to do a speech and he would have still came fourth as a highly public figure without Rosa Parks.

But, he didn't become a "highly public figure" without Rosa Parks. He became the national spokes person for civil rights because the boycott was successful and gained national media attention. The boycott was started because Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus and went to jail. She is a part of that history. Nobody is saying it wouldn't have happened without her/might have...but it did happen with her...recognize.

You like anyone else that has studied knows the Act did very little - just like the first Brown case did, which was more important.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 ended the jim crow laws that had been in place since the end of the civil war. It ended legal segregation--it's what everyone was fighting for...so, no I'm not joking. When it passed the lives of black folk in this country changed...slowly...but they changed. We are a better nation because congress finally did the right thing. No more lil/big lawsuits like brown v. board--the federal law changed, yes enforcement was a slow process, but we are there now thanks in part to who Rosa Parks was and what she did.

[edit on 26-10-2005 by Saphronia]

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
She had a long life and good for Rosa to end Afro Americans treatment of those ridiculous bus situations. A woman who worked in a factory long hours having to give up her seat to a white man...sick sick sick...
Good for you. Rosa. You are immortal.

As a white person, i would give an elderly black man or woman my seat anytime.

new topics

top topics

join