It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
just wanted to tell people that the book The Stand, great 1,200 page peice writing it is, by stephen king is somewhat similar to what seems to be happening now with the flu, deadly virus, media saying everythings alright, government saying everythings alright, advertising vaccines that may not work (but in the book the vaccines are fake), calling the flu "moderatly serious" its all in the book and its all in the news.

i just find it weird, and the book was published in like 1985 and its all coming together now

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
yea its pretty weird likd the movie tho it was awesome

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Interesting observation; I never read the book because I thought it was a bit ominous looking in size to read back in the day.

I would like to see other post from people who have actually read the book or seen the movie and draw some more comparisons. I seen the movie, but vaguely remember it.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I had to smile at the use of Las Vegas as a location for the gathering of evil.

What other place could you pick in the United States?

If he had written it on a world scale it may have been central Africa for all the inhuman slaughtering that goes on there but that does not make for nice television.

hmmm, the only thing you might feed off is the current fear of the bird and the bird symbology in the show.

But it's just really a good yarn about good versus evil.

I was wondering if King had been reading any Clive Barker books before writing this one or was influenced by them this one more so then his other books has a similar feel.

Good book, OK televison movie.

If you liked that have a read of Barkers " The Great and Secret Show".

Also another great epic of fantasy with similar grey areas around it's characters is George R. Martins. "A Game of Thrones"

You won't be disapointed.

[edit on 25-10-2005 by Grimholt]

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yeah did read the book some yeahrs ago... nice waste of time.....to many long stories about people who die.if u cut all the pointless small stories out the book would be on 800 pages and a lot better.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Probably my favourite King book. Read it back in high-school. What made it so scary to me was how believable it was.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I've read it... probably four times now. The first time was the original bowdlerized version (that'd be the one without all the "pointless small stories." When the full version came out, I bought and read it, and I've read it twice since then. And I own the movie version.

I'm not sure that the virus in The Stand really compares with the bird flu panic. The virus in The Stand is the traditional "scientists in a secret compound doing germ warfare experiments and losing control of the virus" premise that's fairly common in books and movies. While the government telling people that they don't need to worry is the same with both, that's pretty much a constant anyway, except when (as with terrorism) they feel that it's in their own best interest to have us worry.

On a side note-- I loved Clive Barker's aformentioned "The Great and Secret Show." It's been a while-- that one might be due for a re-reading.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Very good book ive read it about 4 or 5 times now. He wrote a short story about Captain Tripps first a few years before The Stand came out, cant remember the name but its in one of the anthologies.
Bird flu may well be our Captain Tripps ......... i wonder if the Walking Dude has started his long journey?

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Very good book ive read it about 4 or 5 times now. He wrote a short story about Captain Tripps first a few years before The Stand came out, cant remember the name but its in one of the anthologies.
Bird flu may well be our Captain Tripps ......... i wonder if the Walking Dude has started his long journey?

Yeah, it was in 'Night Shift', the story, 'Night Surf'. Great little tale.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Oh yes... "The Stand" is in my top 5 list of fiction books. I've read it twice and recommend it for anyone who hasn't read it yet. Don't be intimidated by it's length. You will finish it quickly and wish it was longer.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Stephen King is my favorite author. I have also read the original version about 4 or 5 times. I've seen the movie several times, whenever it comes on TV, but it's not nearly as good, IMO as the book.

And yes, I have noticed very much the paralells between the book and what is going on IRL. So much so, that I ordered the full version book from Amazon just recently. I just received it. It is HUGE! I haven't had time to read it yet, but as it has been quite some time since I read the original now, I will probably notice more paralells to life as it is today when I do read it, as years ago, all the similarities were not in existance, AFAIK.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I read The Stand when it first came out. Today I brought the long version home from the library and am ready for a great read. The original version of "The Stand" has been one of my favorite King books. Also "It" and "The Green Mile"

I am looking forward to reading the long version in light of what is happening in todays world.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The Stand is my all time favorite Stephen King novel, I cracked the cover when I was fifteenish and didn't expect to get through the first chapter, it was summer vacation from school, raining outside so I had to find something to do.

I never put the book down and spent the better part of the next three days engulfed in the story, the characters, the good, the evil and I remember wondering if this could come true.

Having grown older and a little wiser, the wonder isn't there anymore, but I don't think it is the times that changed, I think the adults of the time, King included were wise enough to see this scenario as a possibility, it just took some time for my life and experiences to catch up to the story.

I highly recommend this novel, thanks S.King

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The Stand used to be my favourite book, years and years ago. When I first read it, I read it again, and again. I think what's more scary though is the fact that Stephen King has admitted that he doesn't think up these stories. They just slide into his mind, like they already exist in the aether, and he's the channeller. The typewriter might just be his crystal ball.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I didnt read the book but I saw the movies
they were great!
and yes you are right about that its kind of similar to the flu now,but there are alot of books and movies just like that,of course,each and every one of them are special,in their own way

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I read it when it first came out. Then I bought the extened version when it came out. I've read it several time. I also have the movie on 2 DVDs. I watch it every few months or so. The book is always better (like with IT) but I still love the movie. The Stand is my all-time King favorite.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Has anyone checked out The Stand comic mini-series? I saw a few single issues in a book store, but never gave it much of a look even though I love the book. Some of Flagg's crew might have some cool character design.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Pictures from the graphic novels can be found here.

Looks interesting, I'd like to read them if I could find them.

new topics

top topics

join