It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FA22 Raptor Flight Regime Q

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
About a week ago I went to a combined car show/dragrace at Las Vegas International Speedway.

I'm sure many of you know the Speedway is next to Nellis AFB.

While there, I watched a Raptor in the flight pattern make what I thought was a fairly sharp turn for the slow speed involved.
Granted, a somewhat subjective observation as far as speeds go, but it didn't seem to be flying much faster than civilian light aircraft trainers I've seen - and flown - in the pattern.
Aircraft size was taken into account as well.

The question is; is the Raptor capable of fairly radical low speed handing?
Low speed as far as modern fighter aircraft go.
Is directed thrust part of the Raptor package?

I don't have a source right now, but sometime in the past I read that the F-18 could handle controlled flight down to 30 knots. (Approx 35 mph.)
The computer system input control surface deflections so as to keep the airplane flying and also following the pilot inputs up to the point where it was still within it's flight regime.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg

Thrust vectoring is all part of the Raptor standard package
Thrust vectoring allows you to make some amazing turns. I remember when NASA showed off one of the first Thrust vectoring aircraft at the Paris Air show many people thought it was going to crash as it was making it turns that dramatically exceeded the aerodynamic stall angle.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The answer is simply yes.
As mentioned here:

"Agility" is the ability of the F-22 pilot to point and shoot with his aircraft, pirouetting, and facing the enemy with his weapons at all speeds. The F-22 pilot can maintain control of the aircraft at speeds as low as that of a Piper Cub or at very high supersonic speeds.

F-22 Raptor

This is from a F-22 test pilot:

"The most obvious (difference from other jets) is the slow speed, high angle of attack region where the F-22 is still completely controllable while an F-16 (Fighting Falcon) or F-15 (Eagle) is completely uncontrollable," said Bret Luedke, F-22 chief test pilot for the combined test force at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. He has been a test pilot for 13 years and has more than 150 hours in the F-22.

Raptor redefines maneuverability

seekerof

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Many thanks.

I especially enjoyed the link on manueverability that Seekerof provided.

Not to mention I'm glad the Raptor is on our side....

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Many thanks.

I especially enjoyed the link on manueverability that Seekerof provided.

Not to mention I'm glad the Raptor is on our side....

It is not on your side, it is on the Government's side and you are not the Government.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I don't have a source right now, but sometime in the past I read that the F-18 could handle controlled flight down to 30 knots. (Approx 35 mph.)

I have personally witnessed an F18 do this, and in no way shape or form could it actually land this way. The nose was almost straight up to achieve this speed, the wings were providing zero lift. The F18 was well under its stall speed relying on pure engine thrust directed downwards. The rear of the plane would touch down even before the rear landing gear the angle was so steep.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It is not on your side, it is on the Government's side and you are not the Government.

Your opinion anyway....

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
30 kts eh? crazy stuff. So im guessing cessna interseption is possible.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Seekerof gave a good link for the Raptor flight abilities.

Here's another:
www.globalsecurity.org...

"Agility" is the ability of the F-22 pilot to point and shoot with his aircraft, pirouetting, and facing the enemy with his weapons at all speeds. The F-22 pilot can maintain control of the aircraft at speeds as low as that of a Piper Cub or at very high supersonic speeds. Because of the F-22's sophisticated aero-design and high thrust-to-weight ratio, it can easily outmaneuver all current and projected threat aircraft, both at medium and high altitudes.

The Raptor and it's weapon systems are designed to be the "first to see, first to shoot", but if an enemy aircraft closes with it to fight, the Raptor can rapidly turn and point, at any speed, to defeat any type of attack. This would make it very unwise for an enemy aircraft to consider getting close to a Raptor. It will likely become "King of the Dogfight".

Even more depends on the pilot's abilities, outside of the standard flight regime package. I've seen an F-15 "hover" above the runway, standing vertical on engine power alone. I passed him with my van at 25-30 mph. Quite a shocker. And definitely not a maneuver found in the training manual.

top topics

join