It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi oil exports grind to a halt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Northern Oil Protection Force member secures attacked Iraqi pipeline
The latest attacks could take as long as a month to repair

Oil exports from Iraq have been completely halted by a combination of attacks and bad weather, reports say.

Four sabotage attacks brought exports from Northern Iraq to a halt on Sunday and officials warned the damage may take a month to repair.

The problem worsened on Monday when a pipeline carrying crude to the Turkish port of Ceyhan was hit in an attack.

Meanwhile, bad weather has prevented tankers from loading at terminals in the south, Agence France-Presse said.

Shut down

"Exports of crude oil have been stopped since Friday because of bad weather and high waves (in the Gulf) that prevent tankers from hooking up" to terminals in southern Iraq, an oil ministry spokesman told the news agency.

Ahead of the stoppage, exports from the south of the country had been as high as 1.6 million barrels a day.

In the north, Sunday's attacks hit a gathering centre for at least four wells in the country, around 40 miles west of the city of Kirkuk.

On Monday, three mortars hit a set of oil and gas pipelines that had already been hit on Thursday, setting at least 16 oil pipelines on fire, news agency AFP said.

Oil plays a vital part in Iraq's economy with crude exports making up 97% of the government's revenues.

Source

Who was it that said we went into Iraq for the oil?

I didn't get any free gas, I'm certainly not paying less for it, and Iraq is producing less than they were under Saddam with the sanctions!

The second oldest trick in the book is to deny what beligerants want, so Iraq denies America the oil.

NR

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, why else would Bush want to go and invade Iraq? and why would Iraq be having problems with their oil pipelines when i thought bush said he'll take care of it or got it under control. Just to let you know Iraq quitted form your support and now is in Irans backing.

Baghdad to seek Iran's help in oil industry

[edit on 24-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

I didn't get any free gas, I'm certainly not paying less for it, and Iraq is producing less than they were under Saddam with the sanctions!

The second oldest trick in the book is to deny what beligerants want, so Iraq denies America the oil.

were u expecting free gas wen Bush invaded Iraq? did Bush say he promise free gas for America once we take over Iraq? i heard in Iraq the Iraqis get to pay on 6 cents a gallon from the Iraqi govt subsidy. too bad the U.S. govt dont do dat.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
Well, why else would Bush want to go and invade Iraq? and why would Iraq be having problems with their oil pipelines when i thought bush said he'll take care of it or got it under control. Just to let you know Iraq quitted form your support and now is in Irans backing.

Umm maybe Bush wanted to invade Iraq for the reasons he gave, rather then the reasons you and your likeminded pals made up. I also don't recall Bush claiming that he had the Iraqi oil situation under control, or that it would be fixed quickly. If anything, we were made well aware of Iraq's outdated oil infrastructure. It would take years to fix even without the insurgent attacks on it.

I wonder if people are bothered by the fact that we haven't taken a dime from Iraqi oil production/exports, when they claim that is all we went there for. But they probably don't care. They figure if they scream "No war for oil" loud enough that they won't need to provide any FACTS or TRUTH.

Even if the oil was flowing like the lies from Michael Moore's mouth, we still wouldn't be taking any of it or any of the proceeds from it. Forgive me for being naive, but did you ever consider that maybe our government did believe that Iraq had WMD's? Even if the intelligence was sexed up, it doesn't discount the idea that they still believed the WMD's were there and that the ends would justify the means. That is something that I will always believe. Hell, even those countries which were against the invasion were certain themselves that Iraq had WMD's. They sure didn't have any motive to lie or sex any intelligence up.

What boggles my mind even further is those that find cheer in the fact that we have yet to find any WMD's in Iraq, without considering where they all went. There's no way in hell that a maniac like Saddam who was so hell-bent on getting WMD for decades would just voluntarily destroy them all. Furthermore, the Iraqi regime kept Nazi-like records of everything. They even kept records of the citizens they tortured and killed. So why are there no records of their destruction of WMD and UN Resolutions compliance? Surely any moron could see that keeping record of such a thing would come in handy for that time when the UN, or the US in this case, finally calls your bluff. God help us all if Saddam shipped those WMD's out to Syria before the war began (like I believe) and/or they end up in the hands of terrorists.

Sorry to get off topic there. I just can't let a WMD "dig" like that go unanswered!

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Actually the Iraqi oil groups has been fighting the big American Oil magnates since they got establish is just that you don't get to read that in the news they don't want privatization like US is trying to sell to them, I guess Chalabi working for the oil industry in Iraq is not doing the job he got pay to do.

Bush did not said that he was invading Iraq for Oil, but big private American oil companies are working on it.

But most of the money that they are investing in the reconstruction of oil fileds and pipes is going down the drain because sabotage.

Ask Halliburtion about it they are not very happy.

Today was a bad day for Iraq as usual.

[edit on 24-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Wow Marge, and I though you couldn’t get any more speculative
But once again congratulations, you have proven me wrong.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Wow Marge, and I though you couldn’t get any more speculative
But once again congratulations, you have proven me wrong.

No is enough information in the Internet about how much money US is allocating for the oil in Iraq and also the plans to push the privatization and what Iraqi in the oil busness is doing about it.

It's just that is no all over the news you know.

Iraqi Oil Workers Fight Privatization and Occupation

www.ameinfo.com...

www.globalpolicy.org...

www.globalpolicy.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

The invasion was not about getting Iraq's oil. At least not at first. The whole point about the war was to keep Iraq from selling its oil independently. Which would bring oil profits down.

The United Nations was about to release Iraq from its sanctions after having found no WMD. Bush, being associated with Saudi oil interests had to do something so that the money wouldn't stop flowing. Had Iraq lost its sanctions under Saddam, they would also be free to sell oil away from OPEC and it would have driven the price of oil down. So the invasion was ordered before the sanctions could be removed. Now that the occupation is in full swing, Iraq is still unable to sell its oil. This is all by design so that oil profits continue to rise and YOU pay more at the pump.

[edit on 24-10-2005 by heelstone]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

The United Nations was about to release Iraq from its sanctions after having found no WMD.

The sanctions remained only because of the American veto threat.

As long as America did nothing the UN could not do anything other than enforce them.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

The sanctions remained only because of the American veto threat.

As long as America did nothing the UN could not do anything other than enforce them.

So you don't believe the USA would have been forced to accept a removal of the sanctions if the U.N. began stating Iraq was no longer a threat? Not that it matters now anyway.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

So you don't believe the USA would have been forced to accept a removal of the sanctions if the U.N. began stating Iraq was no longer a threat? Not that it matters now anyway.

The US and UK both openly stated that they would not support the lifting of sanctions as long as Saddam ruled Iraq.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What does it matter that Iraqi oil exports have grounded to a halt? It doesn't mean they have dissapeared does it? As far as I'm aware they're still under control of the US and UK alliance, sitting in the bank waiting for a "dry" day.

This will remain the case if the two can remove the last remaining threats to ownership in the form of Syria and Iran, the former being the last Arab nationalist state left in the region.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone

The invasion was not about getting Iraq's oil. At least not at first. The whole point about the war was to keep Iraq from selling its oil independently. Which would bring oil profits down.

The United Nations was about to release Iraq from its sanctions after having found no WMD. Bush, being associated with Saudi oil interests had to do something so that the money wouldn't stop flowing. Had Iraq lost its sanctions under Saddam, they would also be free to sell oil away from OPEC and it would have driven the price of oil down. So the invasion was ordered before the sanctions could be removed. Now that the occupation is in full swing, Iraq is still unable to sell its oil. This is all by design so that oil profits continue to rise and YOU pay more at the pump.

[edit on 24-10-2005 by heelstone]

Well said. In my opinion the Iraqi swith to trading in Euro's back in November 2002 was the action that ensured that they would be attacked sooner rather than later to bring Iraqi oil back under Dollar trading and thus US control. Imo the critical aspect in US foreign policy is not so much the oil price but ensuring that it's traded in USD. Once you can arrange that everyone needs dollars to buy oil with and once that happens you can print dollars like there is no tommorow. Currently Us imports are worth 48% more than Us exports and if one keeps looking at the deficit spending one can see that the US will have to keep invading wichever countries wants to swith their oil trading from dollars to euro's. The countries on the short list would then be Iran, Venezuala and even Indonesia and Malaysia....

Stellar

new topics

top topics

join