It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single tree blamed on worst US blackout in history...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Im sorry, but I just cannot believe this....

Any ideas what the cover up would be for???

Thursday, Sept. 11, 2003
One Tree in Ohio Gets Blamed for America's Worst Blackout

The biggest power failure in North America's history was likely caused by a tree in Walton Hills, Ohio, the Wall Street Journal reported today.

After sagging into the tree Aug. 14, a FirstEnergy Corp. power line closed down and set off a series of alarms that alerted company officials and the regional power system operator to the fact something was wrong. But they weren't sure what.

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
At last we know - it was a tree, and nothing suspicious.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Wow and all this time, I never knew there were GIANT redwood trees in Ohio... and I do mean GIANT.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   
well glad we've cleared that up. I had no idea they even had trees in Ohio. I thought they just had amusement parks and turnpikes. really, whoever they have coming up with these cover stories needs to be fired, post haste. a tree? the writers of Enterprise could do better than that, and that's saying something.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   
It just like a bunch of damn New Yorkers, blame their problems on something that happened in Ohio. We in Ohio get tired of being blamed for New York's problems.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   
A single tree caused all that chaos. It definitely sounds like a cover up. Very improbable that this could happen in this manner.

They could have saved themselves a lot of headache by saying the event happened due to some catastrophic computer systems failure. I guess they're too dumb to say that.

Well, whatever happened, it likely wasn't a single tree. It sounds like a "my dog ate my homework" excuse. Really silly to expect people to believe that.

[Edited on 16-9-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Oh no!

heelstone thinks it was a conspiracy of trees, not a single tree!

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Its always a cover up, pal.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   
A single tree. 1 tree?

That's a clever statement...
It's so stupid it has to be false ... but then why would they release an obviously false statement, unless it were some how true. You can't have a conspiracy about a Tree.

I can't remember if someone posted this, but this scientist things that HAARP did it: globalresearch.ca...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 01:18 AM
link   
From a Frontline interivew with the new head of CyberSecutiry at the Homeland Security dep't:

March 19, 2003

"Everybody talks about the sophisticated attacks that are taking place, the sophisticated attacks that seem to focus on electrical power companies, water utilities. What's going on?

Certainly those are the attacks that people are focused on, because they're the ones that concern all of us. The defense of those critical infrastructures needs to be prioritized. Their electronic defense is one component of their defense. We actually see that certain infrastructures, like the utilities, like the financial services sector, do receive more attacks than, say, the healthcare industry, or the non-profits of the world. I don't know if it's a statistical anomaly, or if it's one where there are actually more attacks targeting those organizations."

edit-
"People out there are saying, "These systems are so vulnerable that they could be taken down. I think someone could take down a grid in America." From your point of view here, does something like that seem in the realm of belief?

I don't know that a catastrophic system-wide type of event can occur. Certainly, there are areas of vulnerability in the infrastructure. So can the entire system be brought down or destroyed? I wouldn't have insight into that. But I believe there are key vulnerability points, but it may be more limited than some people would imply."

www.pbs.org...

[Edited on 16-9-2003 by ktprktpr]

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Cut them all down!
The trees have already won!

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 01:21 AM
link   
uhhh ohh...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 01:22 AM
link   
How can people let them say this?

Do they think we are really that stupid?

Are there people right now accepting this as the truth?

I feel insulted by that explanation.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Lets see... I am sure there are thousands of localized power blackouts per year due to trees falling on power lines....

I dont remember any of them taking out a quarter of the US???

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Lets see... I am sure there are thousands of localized power blackouts per year due to trees falling on power lines....

I dont remember any of them taking out a quarter of the US???

I agree DR. Wasn't the term: "rolling black out" used when this occurred?

....a simple tree.... thats good, its 'rich', its amounts to major BS....geeez

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Am I seeing the beginnings of a new Anti Terrorist Tree Force here?

Loaded with the most state of the art chainsaws and titanium climbing spikes. The ATTF is now spreading out across the world to take down(literally) any and all trees that could be seen as a threat to the national security of the United States. Secretary(of defence) Rumsfeld says "These trees have absolutely NO qualms about disrupting the lives of MILLIONS of Americans so, we have no choice but to bring the fight to them."
The war on Forrestry is just another natural extention on the war on terror. In fact, some sources say that a war on shrubbery may ensue within months if not weeks.

Copyright 2003, FPI International

BTW: SHRUBERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 17-9-2003 by Fry2]

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hmmm, so the terrorists have gone from box cutters to axes have they

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
MC, we have plenty of trees here in Ohio, stop making fun of Ohio or I'll start w/ some Upper Peninsula jokes (wish we didn't trees, cleaning up those leaves in the fall is a pain)

What's interesting is they were at some point blaming a First Energy plant that was RIGHT down the road from where I lived. Fox News camped outside its gates for a few days last month. THEN a few weeks ago our local Fox channel�s pompous investigative reporter showed a video turned in by a boater taken of the power plant right before the outage. The video basically showed smoke coming out of its stacks � but, it was an enormous amount, totally abnormal. First Energy wouldn�t comment but city officials did, all said it was abnormal. I�ve lived by this plant all my life and I too thought it was odd. Smoke is typical when they shut down, happens all the time but not like that day. Given the coverage, I expected to see the story go national but it has not.

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The tree probabaly started it. And for some very strange reason, what should have been a very small blackout cascaded into a monster.

Lets take up a collection to make toothpicks out of that sucker and sell them in NYC!

Profit, Profit, Profit!

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I agree with you Lysergic. I am totally insulted by all of the explinations given as the cause for the black out. In a perfect world we would all be running around in Mr. Rogers neighborhood wearing rose colored glasses and singing, Oh I wish I were an Oscar Myer Weiner, but for some reason that just doesn't suit me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join