It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Vermont Is Planning To Secede From The US

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Ummm....being from the south I might have some insight on this, deciding to secede from the union is a very, very bad idea. It tends to seriously yank the chain of those in control of the armies and such. They don't like it one bit, nosireebob. The war of northern agression brought us such lovely phrases as, "The scorched earth policy."

Now this conversation is really quite silly cause there is no way this would ever happen, but you can bet allot of southerners would be laughing their tail ends off if Vermont tried.

Love and light my friends,

Wupy

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Yup, great solution. Dissolve the federal government and federal taxes, make 50 separate countries, close every single American base overseas, and bring every last troop home. Then build a huge wall on the Mexican and Canadian borders, and kick out every single last illegal inside the country. Then kill any state corruption with a swift sword and put in modified state constitutions similar to the old forgotten one. And that thing called the Patriot Act? Haha. Bye bye. DHS? Cya. All the rediculous compartmentalization of government? Later. Maybe next time there is a disaster like Katrina, the state will be ready to move fast with minimal red tape and more lives will be saved. Looters? Shoot em.

All the military won't dissapear, they can just blend in as reservists in case we REALLY need them, like in the event of a foreign invasion (like uh, what the constitution originally provided for?).

And oh, all those black budget projects that are holding all that secret info? Full disclosure to all the people. Mandate development of any secret energy producing technolgy that was hidden and squashed by the mega oil conglomerates, such as zero point energy. Nukes? Get rid of em, once and for all. Frankly, I'm pretty sick of living under the gun with Lord knows how many nukes pointed at me, right now, right here as I sit, and right up my ying yang.

[/rant]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
"Ok everyone. Turn in your US Dollar Bills! We're going to start using the Loony!"

LoL... if they actually succeeded, they would be brought back with the flick of a pen.

or the thunder of an armored blitz

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Does this mean we will need to pay a tariff on our pot now? Or will it be covered by NAFTA?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Instead of shooting it down perhaps we should actually support Vermont from leaving the union. If you all say that they dont have much to sustain themselves or they even get squashed by our military, hey let it happen.

All I am saying if any state ever decided to do such an act, and they were attack to be reassimilated, then I think we should at least launch attacks against our own national gaurd and courthouses in protest. And then follow suite. Lets see how the Feds do fighting 50 wars!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
if they were put under military attack for leaving idk that would be strange. send a big message to anyone even concidering a revolt

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I secede.

Now give me a damn ID Georgia so I can leave.

That's all. No more questions at this time.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
If they want to join Quebec, Canada's in deep trouble

Oh, please let them be a country unto themselves...

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The sad part is, they could go ahead and secede and nobody would be the wiser. Unless the ski slopes jacked up their rates.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The sad part is, they could go ahead and secede and nobody would be the wiser.

Right. Like I just did. Well sort of.

Thing is they'd lose their highway funding. Pffft. Upside, they get to drive tanks and tell Mother's Against Drunk Driver lobbyists to go to hell.

They also become the continental Cayman Islands overnight and every corporation in America gets a Vermont PO Box and officially relocates.

Then they start reimporting drugs to America.

And they no longer have to pay all that welfare into the red state sponges.

Really it's a win for blue states to just say screw y'all. I think all of New England should.

Don't worry, they will when the gas is gone. Not kidding. Red state suburbia is unsustainable. Wal-Mart world is a facade.

[edit on 24-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
maybe this will cause the civil war which time traveller John Titor described

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
maybe this will cause the civil war which time traveller John Titor described

You win the First Titor! Congratulations, you may pick up your award in 2015 in Washington D.C.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

That's really weird, because all us red states were almost certain it was going to fund the dead meat in the blue states.

Where's the figures, so we can get this straight. And, yes, I'm serious. Whether it proves you right or wrong. I want the real numbers. I'll go - "Go figure!" if it shows we're taking your money.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by RANT

That's really weird, because all us red states were almost certain it was going to fund the dead meat in the blue states.

Where's the figures, so we can get this straight. And, yes, I'm serious. Whether it proves you right or wrong. I want the real numbers. I'll go - "Go figure!" if it shows we're taking your money.

Again? It's all over the net if you google anything like "red state, blue state, winners, losers" but I'll find you one of my own many posts from 2004 on this from every time some knuckledragging yahoo in Alabama said New York was costing him money.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Does anyone think that maybe we can swap Vermont for say, maybe, Alberta, etc.?

seekerof

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Interesting concept. Perhaps the mere fact that the convention is taking place, and its being reported on is indicative of something else? I dont think any one can disagree that discontent with the Federal government has risen in George Bush's second term.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
An abridged version. I can't find my own excellent
presentation just yet citing the Tax Foundation, divorce rates, education statistics, salaries, quality of life and all around FU to the red staters talking about kicking out blue states after the 2004 election, but I'll keep looking.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Vermont wants to secede from the US while one of their towns, Killington, already has it in the works to secede from Vermont.

cnn.com link Thursday, March 4, 2004

Between 200 and 300 of the 1000 residents of the town of Killington, Vt. endorsed the plan to secede from Vt. and join NH. The residents are unhappy about the high taxation which came about from a change in the method of funding education.

The residents feel that Killington is a "cash cow" to the rest of the state. The tourists at this ski resort town spend lots of money in the restaurants, inns and other businesses resulting in Killington sending about $20 million to Montpelier in sales, room and meals taxes.

Killington Secession Not Too Popular in VT
nhpr.org link Oct 24, 2005

Also included in the above link Audio interview: March 16, 2005

"While the Killington Secession is not too popular in Vt,
Support for the move remains strong in Concord.
New Hampshire lawmakers recently approved a commission to study the issue."

The Vermont lawmakers must approve the plan for Killington to secede from Vermont and join NH.

I wonder how this new wrinkle of Vermont seceding from the US will affect Killington seceding from Vermont?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'll be the first to take issue with the "NH - Flipped Blue in 2004" conclusion even though yes they did go for Kerry. See you in 2008.

Nh is one of the least dependent on federal bucks.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
If any mainland US state secedes from the Union in my lifetime I will eat my computer.

-koji K.

[edit on 24-10-2005 by koji_K]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join