It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Schumer: Miers Would Lose SCOTUS Confirmation Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
New York Senator Charles Schumer (D) predicted yesterday that Bush nominee Harriett Miers doesn't have enough votes in the Senate to be confirmed as Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. "She would not get a majority either in the Judiciary Committee or the floor," he told Tim Russert on NBC's Meet the Press. Republican Senator Sam Brownback also expressed doubts on FOX's FOX News Sunday referring to the poor answers she gave on her senate nominee questionaire. Miers has come under much criticism from all sides (but especially social conservatives) after her nomination to succeed Sandra Day O'Connor on the high court while has yet to garner few, if any allies.

www.nydailynews.com
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court nomination of Harriet Miers is in trouble and would fail if the Senate had to vote now, New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said yesterday.
"She would not get a majority either in the Judiciary Committee or the floor," Schumer, a Democrat on the committee, said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"I think you have concern on these three areas - qualifications, independence, judicial philosophy - by people of both parties in all political stripes," he said.

But most of the criticism of President Bush's choice of Miers to replace Associate Justice Sandra Day O'Connor has come from conservatives.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it's only a matter of time before this nomination is withdrawn. The voices against it seem to be growing lounder while no support has materialized beyond the White House grounds. I suspect that we won't even begin these confirmation hearings.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Bush Nominates Harriet Miers to Supreme Court
OP/ED: The Miers Conundrum
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10/24/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 10/24/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Today I heard a rumor citing just that - that either the admin or Miers would withdraw the nomination/acceptance this week.

Problem is, lots of good candidates have withdrawn their names from the list. They don't want to go through the partisan grilling.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I also heard rumors that she has already mentioned to Bush but he is not acepting the withdraw and doesn't want to back off.

When it comes to things like this Bush can be very hard head.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I don't think she has enough support from either the left or the right. The only block of support she would get is that of business and industry, as her specialty is in business law, unlike many SC justices. My own problem with her isn't even political, it's that she's the personal lawyer of the POTUS.

-koji K.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Schumer is counting chickens before they hatch. The woman deserves a hearing before anyone passes judgement. I am very disappointed in many conservatives for trashing this poor woman before she has even opened her mouth. Even the manner in which she has filled out her questionnaire is inadequate to make the kinds of judgements Shumer and others are making. When the extremists get agitated, I get that warm and fuzzy feeling.

top topics

join