It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best/Worst Of Majic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Over time, members like myself can become... controversial.

While I always encourage my fellow members to U2U me if they have any feedback they want to give -- or call me out at the “scene of the crime” when I post something they just KNOW is wrong -- I get the feeling that may not be enough.

So here's a thread dedicated to me and what other members may have to say about me and my colorful career in the ATS community.

Here, Majic as a member and as a person is always on-topic.

Although the Members forum isn't intended for rants against members, I request that the BTS moderators cut some significant slack in that regard in the interest of full disclosure.

When a topical discussion somewhere drifts away from the issue and toward me, I would like to be able to offer this thread as an alternative and -- ideally -- reduce topical digressions in other threads as a consequence.

In particular, I'm hoping feedback I receive in this thread will help to make me a better member, which I am sure everyone can agree is at best an ongoing and tenuous process.

Essentials Of Majicology

Here are some things members may want to comment on:

1. Majic's posting style, forced erudition and generally smarmy tone in his writing.

2. Famous Majicisms. Things that make you go “hmmmm” -- or perhaps “what the heck?”

3. Great Moments in Majic History. Found a really juicy and embarrassing post from my troubled past? Post a link and share your views and anecdotes.

4. How Majic got WATS. This is a traditional favorite, suitable for discussing around chestnuts roasting on an open fire: On ATS, Ignorance Is Winning. Fun for the whole family!

5. Does Majic really believe what he posts? Hey, I post some wild stuff, and despite the disclaimers, you gotta wonder. I'm happy to talk about such things here if you like, or in the original thread -- which is generally better, but whatever you prefer.

6. Is this guy for real? The short answer may well be “no”, but I am what I am. Speculation regarding just what my trip may be is definitely on-topic here.

And I'm sure there is much, much more.

You Can't Be Serious

Granted, this may seem silly, but this is BTS, after all, and despite my prolific posting habits and general loquacity, I get the feeling many members don't feel like they really know me or understand where I'm coming from.

Well, that's the idea behind this forum, and the idea behind this thread.

Is this just another manifestation of the legendary Majic vanity? Perhaps. Heck, sure, why not?

Will anyone really have anything to say in this thread -- other than me? Maybe, maybe not. I'm good either way.

I just think it's good to have a place for this sort of thing.

Your opinion may reasonably vary.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You failed to mention the whole nut job thing...

Oh, and your alter ego... Sweet Tyler.

I think Majic has a lot more room in his head than most people, therefore, there's a lot more floating around in there. And some of it just has to escape now and then.

Majic is a thinker, a dreamer with an imagination and creativity that surpass most 'normal' people.

Majic is kind and a little bit insecure (who isn't?) and has a grasp on what love really is. Majic cares.

I love to read his posts and hear his PODcasts. I love that he's true to what he believes, even in the face of dissent.

I like his generally smarmy tone except when it's aimed at me.

Majic thinks highly of himself, but I think he falls short of arrogant, so that's cool.

Is he for real? Yeah, I think so. Nobody could make this stuff up!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
1. Majic's posting style, forced erudition and generally smarmy tone in his writing.

Exhibit A:

2. Famous Majicisms. Things that make you go “hmmmm” -- or perhaps “what the heck?”

Personally, my favorite thing you do is your post titles. They're always so funny, so apt, and perfectly designed for that mixture of humor and point-making.

3. Great Moments in Majic History. Found a really juicy and embarrassing post from my troubled past? Post a link and share your views and anecdotes.

Well, there was that one time, at band camp... Actually, my goal in life is to give you a one-liner warning.

4. How Majic got WATS.

A better question would be how (or can) Majic get TWATS... again? In all seriousness, though, I remember that thread well, there was no doubt about the winner that time around. One of your better pieces.

5. Does Majic really believe what he posts?

Well, you complimented me once, so yeah, you do.

6. Is this guy for real? The short answer may well be “no”, but I am what I am. Speculation regarding just what my trip may be is definitely on-topic here.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Another one of my favorite Majicisms - Opening a thread, seeing how small the scroll bar is and therefore assuming there are a number of posts (let's say 11). Instead, there's three or four and one by Majic.

I love ya man.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
We know that he has, more than any other man, the gift of compressing the largest amount of words into the smallest amount of thought.
- Churchill (Attributed)

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The Black Bar Of Doom

Wow! Today I got the Black Bar of Doom: what happens when your applause bar "goes to eleven" (i.e., gets incremented to www.belowtopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">11m.gif, which does not exist, so the post/applause bar "breaks").

Here's the "applause bar scale" for reference: www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/> www.belowtopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

The more applause you receive, the redder it gets.

Until one day, you fall off the edge of the world...

For me, today is that day.

The only other members I've seen get the BBoD are people I have a very high regard for: Valhall and wecomeinpeace. So yeah, I feel very honored -- and uncharacteristically humbled.

Also, thanks for the comments in this thread. I'm trying to minimize my own commentary here because this thread is really for other members to comment in and well, let's face it, I talk about myself pretty much everywhere else.

Now to go run around in the forums and show off the black bar like the insufferable dweeb that I am.

And of course, I need to save a snapshot for posterity...

Hell yeah I'm proud!

[edit on 3/19/2006 by Majic]

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Sorry for breaking your bar, Majic, but in this case I think you brought it on yourself!

Congratulations! It really is an accomplishment and it's well deserved. Keep up the good posting!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Lot of this going on right now. I guess that makes me the 4th.

Seekerof will be there any minute.
GradyPhilpott is within 20 applause or less.

I think JJ and Wyrde were getting close before promotion, but I don't remember anymore.

Edit to add: Has anybody noticed that sort of the who's who of opinionated and well known members all joined in mid-2004?
On that note- I suppose I should hang my head at the realization that I'm a few months older than several of the BBOD crew, yet finished 4th.

[edit on 8-4-2006 by The Vagabond]

Second edit in an attempt to be on-topic:

Majic- you confuse the hell out of me. Always. Really.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Hmmm, do I dare?

I have only run into you twice on threads Majic. The first time you read all sorts of things into my post that weren't there and went guns ablazin' after me, making the most interesting accusations. But in fairness, after I pointed out that you were making assumptions, you did apologize which shows you aren't that bad a person.

The second time, you popped into a thread, dropped some Majic wisdom and then never came back to address the responses.

But you can be amusing and it's nice not to be the only person here that says 'Hey, why use just one word when I could use ten'.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I would like to take the time to express my most emphatic concurrance with the analysis of my esteemed colleague Duzey in regards to Majic, because the afforementioned moderator's incredible proclivity for excercising extreme verbosity in cases where the warrant for such is questionable at best is a great comfort to similarly inclined individuals.

Edit to turn one word into two.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I bow down to the magisterial and magniloquent antecedent member that is known as The Vagabond and his innate ability to employ a disproportionate measure of words in the most prodigious manner, as befits one of his stature.

new topics

top topics

join